Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

PNV-Do the visits to Dian Fossey's grave and to the scenic areas start at the ranger station?

Search

PNV-Do the visits to Dian Fossey's grave and to the scenic areas start at the ranger station?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or must you be driven to some other starting point?

In Aug 2009 I am thinking of doing several gorilla visits in Rwanda. Twice now I've laid out a gorilla trip and had it marketed by an agent for others to join me so the cost was doable. Fortunately others did join me.

If I did 4 gorilla visits and a golden monkey visit, that's 5 activities. Not everyone would want to do that many monkey trips. But maybe they would like to do some other activities. If they could just leave from the ranger station that would be easier than having to drive them somewhere because I may have to be driven to the starting point for the gorillas.

For anybody who has kept track, that means Namibia gets pushed to June of 2010. I have Patty to thank for that because of her comments on wind in August.

I'll do another post later to see if there could be a Fodorite gorilla group to Rwanda. I'm thinking of heading to Kenya after that.

Thanks!

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Lynn,
Did you mean gorilla trips?
<<"Not everyone would want to do that many monkey trips.">>

Everything begins at the ORTPN park headquarters; the gorilla treks, monkey treks, bisoke/crater lake trek, and Fossey's gravesite trek.

They do that to keep accurate records and you've got to sign in for whatever activity you're there for. And many times people car-pool to each volcano.
The guides need lifts too so it works out for them.

I was scheduled to do 4 gorilla treks and 2 monkey treks this past Jan. but one of the monkey treks was canceled because it was pouring down rain and the monkeys hate the rain worse than the gorillas do.

I've met people there who did up to 7 gorilla treks (yes, 7!) so it's not unusual for people to take advantage of their time in Rwanda and do as much as they can.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM

Just to clarify. Everything starts from the park headquarters but you don't walk from there, you drive from there to your starting point.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM

atravelynn

Are you still looking for people to go with you? I keep telling myself I need to get back to the gorillas before I get any older (and the way things are going in the Virungas, before they become any more endangered!) I'd love to travel with like minded fodorites. 2009 is sooner than I was thinking since I'm going next summer. But sometimes you have to grab opportunities that present themselves! Let me know!
Lily
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Lillipets, we may have a deal.

So you always drive from the park headquarters. You cannot just walk.

Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM

I did two gorilla treks and one trek to Dian Fossey's grave and we drove to all the starting points. I guess there may be some starting points that are close enough to walk - others may know...
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I don't think there are. I think the nearest volcano/trek is about a 10 minute drive from headquarters. Your tour operator drives you to wherever you go. But you can always car pool with someone else.

I know if you stay at the Kinigi guest houses (which is about a five minute walk from the headquarters) many people who stay there just get a lift from the headquarters with another group whose doing the same trek.

I may be up to joining you guys on the trip too, depending on my schedule.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

This is exciting--Divewop too! What will this be, your 58th gorilla visit?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM

59th...

Well, if you'd stop pushing Nambia back into the 22nd century, I possibly would have joined you on that trip, since it's high on my priority list. I'd like to still be able to walk when I visit so I can climb those dunes!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Lynn,
OK, I'll bite. Thanks for posting the question on my old thread. I was thinking February 2009 but you might convince me to go in August instead. What do you have in mind?

That's funny that you're now giving up Namibia for Rwanda. That's why I added Namibia to Botswana, because by itself it was not making it anywhere near the top of my list. I really wanted to go and am glad I did. But I go to Africa for the animals more than anything else and Namibia is more about scenery. Are you going to Cape Town next year? Maybe you just need to add a week or 10 days to that trip and experience Namibia. Then Divewop can join you and still be able to walk up those dunes.

Also, will you take a look at the full moon thread? The old one? I didn't realize it was from 2006 and I posted a question there.