Please do not skip your anti-malarials

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came home from Wales early as my dad collapsed at home after a few days of fever, was hospitalised locally and then transferred to the infectious disease unit at the Royal Free Hospital.

He has malaria. It ain't pleasant.

Because he's been away SO often he seldom takes anti-malarials (partly because it's not recommended to take them too often/ long in any period and partly because he doesn't want the faff).

Even if you're in a malaria region for only a day, remember that it only takes a moment for one mosquito carrying the disease to bite you and transfer it to you.

I'm sure he'll be fine but your good thoughts will be appreciated.

Kavey
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:36 AM
bwanamitch

Sorry to hear that bad news. I hope he will be fine soon. (You too.)

Mitch

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Kavey
Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he gets over it quickly.
This is a salutory lesson to us all - I met a doctor from Liverpool once when we were in Rajasthan, and he said he couldn't be bothered with the hassle of taking the tablets. I told him I thought he was mad!
Best wishes
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:53 AM

Kavey~ Sorry about your dad. Hope he's well soon. Thank you for the reminder as well. I am dreading taking these things, but I guess it's something that must be done.

take care,
Sharon
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Kavey, I'm really sorry to hear that your dad has been taken ill.

An acquaintance (friend of a friend) of mine contracted malaria - she lives in Africa and stopped "bothering" with anti-malarials as it she felt it was an expensive hassle.

As you say, it only takes one mosquito...
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:11 AM

Kavey,
So sorry to hear about your father. I hope that he'll be well soon.

And thank you for the reminder.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:13 AM
sandi

Kavey -

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm sure he's in good hands, but I hear that sometimes the cure is worse then the desease.

It's a good reminder to all those who feel they can skip these - you can't chance it. Though only a preventative along with repellent, long pants, sleeves, etc. etc. - the world desperately needs an inoculation.

A story I've posted here some time back - one of our (US) TV news personalities - Chris Mathews of Hardball - visiting Africa (Zimbabwe) a few years back with his family - all took their malaria prophylactics; when he returned home and assigned to the Middle East, also took malaria meds. Sure enough he returned home feeling fine until a few weeks/month later when it hit him. If it wasn't for a sharp physician requesting additional tests, determined that he contracted a rare strain of malaria. Mathews was in hospital for weeks (off the air naturally) - goes to show, malaria is not pleasant and can be tricky to diagnose.

Thanks for the reminder and sincerly hope your dad is back to himself soon.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Kavey - very sorry to hear about your dad. I'll be hoping for his rapid recovery.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Kavey I am sure your Dad will be fine but no doubt he is feeling just awful right now and your stress levels are through the roof. Take care both of you and a speedy recovery.
J
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Kavey, sorry to hear about your dad and wishing him a speedy recovery. For what its worth, I have a family member who contracted malaria during the Korean War and he's fine.

Question -- what is "faff"?
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Kavey,

Sorry to hear that your father has malaria. I hope he soon gets rid of those nasty parasites.

Thanks for the reminder. And whatever “faff” is - it’s probably better than malaria.
Take care.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
So sorry to hear about your dad, Kavey. I hope he's up and about soon.

How do they treat malaria? I've never even thought about it but when I picked up my malarone prescription the pharmacist told me they treat malaria with malarone. She was busy so I didn't quiz her further.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:40 AM

All the best Kavey

My Aunt & Uncle used to live in Nairobi - 20 yrs ago. A friend from England stayed with them & went down to Mombassa before flying home to his barge on the Thames. He developed a fever etc a few weeks later but because it was winter, the doctor put it down to flu developed from living in damp conditions. He died shortly after from cerebral malaria.
This has always stuck with me.
So glad they caught your father - of course the doctors these days are a lot more aware of tropical diseases.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM
sandi

sundowner -

"the hair of the dog" - like a beer the morning after the beers the night before.

Not a doctor, but understand it's higher doses of the malaria meds you had been taking to avoid getting malaria in the first place. How much or for how long and whether other protocols are used... can't really say. However, there are some Chinese herbs that have been found to be an excellent alternative - and actually work very well!

I'm sure Kavey's dad is in good hands and will be back to himself soon.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Kavey,
I'm very sorry to hear that your father has malaria, and I hope he has a quick recovery. Thank you for the reminder about anti-malarials.
Hang in there!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the caution. We all tend to think it's going to happen to the other guy. We were in Thailand in Jan. and took anti malarials then. Be assured will take them again before going to Kenya this coming Jan. Hope this finds your Dad on a speedy road to recovery.
Ted
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:56 AM
bat

adding my wishes for his speedy and full recovery.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Hi Kavey ... I'm so sorry to hear about your father's illness - best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

And thanks for writing out about this. Actually it's also very timely... My husband and I are heading to Panama for a few weeks in October. Panama is primarily free from malaria, but we're going to be spending 3 days in the San Blas Islands area and I recently read something about malaria there... I started questioning whether it would be "worth it" to take Malarone (I even wrote a question out on the Latin America forum), when we're only going to be in that area for 3 days. Just a few days ago, we made the decision that the hassle and expense of malarone was much better than malaria (!) and we got the pills prescribed. Needless to say, your post hit home - it only takes one bite and I thank you for reminding us all of that.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM

sorry to hear about your dad. praying that he will be o.k.
Dennis
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 09:44 AM

For the paranoid. The WHO now recommends Coartem as the treatment of choice for malaria. I came down with malaria in North Luangwa. Was in Mana Pools just 10 days b4. So, I am pretty sure thats where I contracted the nasty. The point is that the coartem knocked the bug flat in record time-36 hours. I recognized the symptoms immediately and stated treatment within the hour. But it took a month b4 I was on par again. Take the meds.
By the way, Coartem is nontoxic. Too bad the CDC hasn't got around to approving it yet. Google it. Its cheap to pickup in East and Southern Africa-except SA needs a prescription I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -