Please critique our Tanzania trip

Jan 18th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Please critique our Tanzania trip

Hi everyone:
I know a number of you gave us some great advice. This is our tentative itinerary. Any advice is much appreciated.
DURATION : 11 DAYS/ 10 NIGHTS
ROUTE : (1) ARUSHA - (1)TARANGIRE - (1) MANYARA - (2) NGORONGORO - (3)
WESTERN SERENGETI - (2) CENTRAL SERENGETI

Day 1 Arrive Kilimanjaro International Airport - Dinner and overnight Novotel Mount Meru.

Day 2 After breakfast, depart for Tarangire. Dinner and overnight at Tarangire Safari Lodge (tented).

Day 3 After breakfast, depart for Lake Manyara.
Manyara Serena Lodge.

Day 4 After breakfast, depart for Ngorongoro
Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge..

Day 5 After breakfast, full day tour of Ngorongoro Crater. And night at lodge

Day 6 After breakfast, Depart for Serengeti via Olduvai Gorge, overnight Kirawira Camp.

Day 7 & 8 After breakfast, full day game drive in Serengeti (with picnic
lunch).
Dinner and overnight at Kirawira Camp.

Day 9 & 10 After breakfast, full day game drive in Serengeti (with picnic
lunch).
Dinner and overnight at Serengeti Serena Lodge.

Day 11 After breakfast, transfer to Seronera airstrip
Check in for flight
Flight to Arusha
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:34 AM
sandi

The itinerary looks fine, but you do not mention when you will be traveling - time of year?

Jan 19th, 2004, 04:22 AM

The only thing that I would personally add is another day in Tarangire. It is a really wonderful park.
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:40 AM

I have to agree with teresaandgreg about an additional night in Tarangire. It truly is a gem of a park. Giant baobabs, huge termite mounds and when we were there, we were hardpressed to get a picture of one animal without another being in the frame! Yes, what time of year are you planning for?
Jan 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the critique and advice.

1st week in March is the plan.

Will look into adding another day in Tarangire.

Do we need two days in Ngorongoro?

Getting very excited!
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:43 AM

Travellinbug,
We enjoyed the Crater in June visit two years ago. Whether it be for one day or two I strongly suggest an early morning entry into the Crater. I forget the hour access is permitted but our guide wanted us there relatively early. He felt the big cats might be out earlier. As it turned out we noted fewer sightings as the day moved on and where we saw them earlier they had retired for the day. Thus, I am glad we went early. Also, there were fewer vehicles. We entered via the eastern road as we were at the N Sopa Lodge. I would have enjoyed a second day as we did not see some antelope expected nor did we get close to rhino. What a place! Enjoy!
Dick
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:21 AM
sandi

travellinbug -

Add to my initial response, that yes you can do another day in Tarangire - while a small park there are lots of various animals to see.

As to a 2nd day in the Ngorongoro Crater, we found 1-full day more than sufficient. Your schedule for the Crater is an early day, immediately after an early breakfast when you leave your lodge to enter the crater and spend an entire day inside, returning anywhere from 3-5pm (before dusk when the Crater closes).

While there are plenty of animals, rarely do vehicles get up-close-and-personal enough to see the Rhino (though you might get lucky!) And even though they say Giraffes are not to be found here, we did (and I have photos to prove it) which were located up on the slopes of he Crater.

You'll break from a boxed lunch prepared by your lodge at the furthest end near a hippo pool, then continue animal sightings the remainder of the afternoon.

While we found it an enjoying day and didn't find too many vehicles in this small area (even if it is a large contained area) - it was also very hot and dusty and glad when the end of the day arrived. Some people do choose to return the following morning for a few hours if there schedule allows and don't have a long day ahead of them.

Based on your schedule you will be heading to the Western Serengeti which is a long day, so it might not be a good idea to try to get into the Crater for just a few hours the next morning. And there will be plenty of animals to see on your way to the WS.

Enjoy your holiday.

Jan 21st, 2004, 10:57 AM

Great itinerary! It's a fairly classic trip in Tanzania given that you'll have to start at the International airport, then see the sights along the way to the Serengeti. We had a great guide when we went and easily caught the beautiful rhino at the Ngorongoro (can't remember her name, she has a famous mother...but I won't spoil your adventure just yet...), you just need to catch her later in the day when walking to/from the watering hole (like clockwork!). Small binoculars are better than large ones, they travel easier and the pro's only use them for spotting, not to get a close look. Keep a diary! The best thing about your itinerary is the return flight to Arusha, you'll know what I mean when the pavement ends west of Arusha. Cheers!
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think we will change Ngorongoro to 1 day and add the extra day to Tarangire.
We will do the diary. We are birders so are really looking forward to that aspect and picked up some great tips from one of the other postings on this site.
Thank you for your time.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
lromin

Nice itinerary....but a couple comments to think about. In March, the main migration of the wildebeest will be in the southern Serengeti. You might think about spending all of your Serengeti time in central and southern portions...drop Kirawira and pick up Ndutu Lodge or Kusini Camp. Also, Ngorongoro should be beautiful in March, with lots of wildlife to see...I would stick with 2 nights there. If you can afford it and time permits I would be recommend not dropping a night at Ngorongoro and simply adding a night to Tarangire. If you have to choose, because it is March, I would choose the extra night at Ngorongoro. While Tarangire supposedly has good bird life in the Jan-March season (I have only been there in Sept), the other wildlife will be more dispersed in that park (Tarangire is really known for, and most spectacular in the dry season).

Search this Thread