Pictures of Kwara.

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Pictures of Kwara.

Last November we spend 4 fantastic days at Kwara Reserve .
Here you can take a look at some of the many photos i took and the excellent game viewing we had.

Paco.

http://www.pbase.com/africawild/kwara07
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Wow Paco -- you have done it again. Simply brilliant, in particular the hyenas photos, tsessebee nursing, and close up with a python are tremendous!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM

WOW is right! Beautiful pictures Paco! Thanks!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Paco,

Nice pictures. Love the giraffe silhouette....
Rgds
Hari
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:00 AM
sniktawk

Am I counting the cheetahs correctly 4?
Stunning pictures!!!

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:04 AM

some nice pics. Though I must admit I prefered your Kwando07 images.

The cheetah and leopard tortise was amusing. Interesting python shot.

Geoff.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Thanks Paco for some wonderful pictures. I love the hyena shots, and as always the cheetas are stunning!

best regards,
Tom
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Nice shots, you had some good lighting and you took advantage of it.

regards - tom
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Very nice, Paco. Great shot of the cheetah and tortoise! And the hyenas and giraffe silhouette, very cool.

Cindy
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Excellent pictures Paco... I am torn on whether to go back to the Kwando camps next year, or to try some new places out.

Richard
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
skimmer

Paco,

Really enjoyed these pictures.

The first one of the hyena is outstanding.

Greetz,

Johan

Old Dec 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM

Very nice again, Paco, with good variation of ISO. I would love to see the cheetah and tortoise much tighter. It seems to be the shot with the greatest potential.

John
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM

What a collection. From the outstanding hyena to the running kudu, these area beautiful. I actually found 2 running kudus with no blurred legs! The giraffe in the sunset was perfect. The tree climbing baboon was also a great job of stopping the action. You had a pair of nursing topis, what a sight. The four cheetahs, nicely grouped was a great catch. I bet you loved Kwara.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM

John- I agree, the cheetah and leopard (?) tortoise (if so, one of the "little five") is very interesting. How would you crop it much tighter? You would still leave the cheetah's head in it would you not? I certainly would take out the twig across its nose and also those growing out of its head. I don't mean to be critical of your photo Paco, it is great that you got it.

regards - tom
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM

Tom,

It's a matter of personal preference, nothing more. My suggestion is not meant to be critical either, just something I wouldn't mind seeing.

If image quality allowed, I'd crop it to fill the frame with the two key elements, with the cheetah's head a tad closer to top left and the tortoise at bottom right. I think it could be done without making the frame too tight. With a great shot like that, it wouldn't matter that the cheetah's whole body was not shown. In fact, had the opportunity arisen for me, I would have cropped that way in camera if I could because I prefer that to cropping afterwards. It would have been very nice if the tortoise had been even closer to the cheetah's head to enable an even tighter zoom.

But you take your opportunities, and Paco's done that admirably. He mightn't have been able to go tighter, or didn't want to. As I said, personal preference.

Incidentally, Paco, I notice the shot is displayed on pbase at 240 dpi. Why is that? Normal web display resolution is 72 or 96 dpi.

John
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

John and Tom,i agree that the cheetah and tortoise is very interesting,in fact it was an amazing sightseeing and when i looked at my pictures at home i thought i had done a poor job.
The picture was taken at 280mm so i had space to get closer( the zoom is 400mm) and the picture would be much better,i think at that moment i didnīt want to cut the cheetahīs body and made a mistake.
Last Friday i updated the gallery with 20 pictures more.There is one of the cheetah looking at the tortoise while she was approaching, but it is a crop.Again we where so excited waiting for the cheetah to stand up and start playing with the tortoise that i missed the best shots...the cheetah never stood up and the tortoise turned around and leave in the opposite direction.It was a lot of fun though.

Jonh,Pbase tell you that the large version of the pictures should be no larger than 800 pixels.
What i do is resized image in PS at 800 pixels and then save it at high resolution.The average size of all my pictures at Pbase is 224 kb.

Lynn,you bet wright...Kwara was wonderful,i am happy that we stay 4 nights there.
We where very lucky but could have been better,the day prior our arrival a pack of 22 dogs! was in the area and they where the stars for the guests.

Johan,the first one of the hyena is also my favorite, together with the baboon.

Richard,the good thing is that you can try new places ,but you know that if you go back to Kwando you wont be disappointed.

Sniktawk,You are counting correctly there where 4 cheetahs ,mother and 3 subadult cubs.I have updated the gallery with 20 pictures more,there is one with the four cheetahs.

Thanks PB,Matnikstym,Hari,Geoff,Tom and Cyndy.

Paco.

http://www.pbase.com/africawild/kwara07

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:01 AM

Hi Paco,

Thanks for the explanation. It is always so easy sitting at home and studying a picture on the monitor; much easier than being on the spot, caught up in the excitement of the moment. You still did a good job.

As for your pbase resolution, I wouldn't think there's any need to save at a high res, which only gives others a better chance of stealing your work and making enlargements of it. You can save all images at 72 dpi, which is the standard res for web display and email, yet retain whatever pixel dimensions you want...800 on the longest side in this instance.

John
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM

Hi Guys - I'm bored so couldn't resist playing with that cheetah and tortoise image. (I made a big note on it that original is Paco Ahedo photo). I cropped it in tighter and also flipped it around. Cloned out the sticks across the nose and out of the head. Then wasn't sure about the few remaining green leaves so they came out also.
http://tinyurl.com/26wn2s
I'll take it down if you wish Paco.

regards - tom
ps - is it a leopard tortoise?
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
sniktawk

Paco

Thanks for the great news on the Cheetahs, I hope they are still in the area in early March

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM

I had to check out the photo again with this cheetah and leopard tortoise controversy.

The interaction of these 2 is an amazing find. PacoAhedo, what did your guide say about that? Was it a first for him?

Tom, things must be dull if you are playing around with other people's leopard tortoises. You did a good job of removing the stick, though.

I actually like the original positions of the cheetah and tortoise.

With all this diversity I wonder if Kwara is or will be the new Mombo? Only missing the rhino. But in its hey day Mombo had no rhino. Hope that thought does not ruffle too many feathers.

If not, how about this thought for ruffling? If there is a stick in front of the cheetah in reality, there should be a stick in the picture. Why not go one step further and place the leopard turtle on the head of the cheetah? Now that would be a sight. It would be very close to my dream sighting of a pangolin riding an aardwolf. Click, click, cut, paste and I could get that shot. Well, first I need a picture of a pangolin.

I don't feel the same way about zooming in and cropping because you can zoom with the camera taking the shot and narrow the field of vision.

Whatever anybody wants to do with their photos is not a big deal to me nor is it any of my business. I'm sure these issues are eloquently debated in photo mags and on photo forums.

Kwara is going to be booking up with these results! And dogs sometimes as well! What's next for you PacoAhedo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO