Search

Pictures from Kenya/Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures from Kenya/Tanzania

Hello -

I've only been on this board a few times to ask general questions concerning my safari, however, reading everyone's posts was invaluable to me while traveling around Africa. I don't have a trip report to post - but wanted to share my photos as everyone else has been so gracious in doing so (thanks!) My husband and I stayed in Nairobi Serena, David Livingstone (Masai Mara), Sopa (Lake Nakuru), Sopa (Amboseli) and Blue Bay Resort (Zanzibar).

We traveled at the end of Aug through beginning of Sep for about 10 days. If anyone has any questions about photos or any of the locations we stayed, I will check back now and then to respond. Currently, I live in Middle East - so if anyone has any questions about Bahrain or this region - just ask!

Michelle

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...iayi9&Ux=0
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Oh yea - forgot to mention - there are 4 albums, broken down by location. Apologize for the amount of photos - but it was hard going through them and trying to pick the best shots. As this was our first safari - to us, they were all great pics - I've spared you all from the other 500
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:14 AM

AdventureBound, thanks for sharing your photos. I agree that all are great pics. I loved the baby giraffes and close ups of the hippos. The picture of the poor cow that was being blood-letted was a bit TOO close. Interesting to see so many photos of people – I suppose it was business for the Maasai, but didn’t anyone in the street get upset? Nice to see photos of you – you’re a very good-looking couple. Did you buy a photo of the president from the middle-of-the-street vendor? I have to go to Zanzibar some day. Your pictures are like a trip report, but a written one would be nice …
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos! I loved the one of the hippo in silhouette.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Hi AdventureBound,

Thanks for sharing these. They're great! I'm not done yet, but wanted to say that your husband/boyfriend/brother looks about as shocked as I must have when I was in a Maasai hut!

Glad you had fun.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Whoops--guess I meant your husband!

Love ALL of these. In addition to all the great wildlife shots, you really captured the vastness of the sky. How beautiful.

Did you have a favorite park or lodge?

Also, I was glad to see you got a picture of the sign from the Thai restaurant we enjoyed in Stone Town (Sweet Eazy)--now I remember the name.

Thank you again, Michelle.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Leely - that is funny - I didn't realize his expression until I went back and looked!

Nyamera - I forgot to take into account that some people might not like too see the blood - I just couldn't get over it ....plus, I lived in Tennessee for awhile and have seen deer bled and skinned, so mabey my tolerance is a bit different

As far as photos of people on the road - (trying to be discreet with camera) - we were cruising along on a bumpy road and I had my zoom on - I still can't believe they turned out at all considering the conditions. I decided I could live without the picture of the president - haha.

As far as our favorite lodge - the Sopa near Lake Nakuru was extremely nice. As far as scenery at lodges go, David Livingstone had the hippo pond to wake up to every day - that was amazing as well.

Thanks for compliments on photos. I have been blown away by everyone elses photos as well - the more I see - the more I want to return.

Michelle

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Michelle:

Great photos. I think I recognized "Adam" a young bull elephant that has broken the fence and loves to stay in the Ol Tukai Lodge, Amboseli Lodge area. Though he has pushed over a few trees, he really is quite a gentle fellow, and as long as people keep their distance he is content to have you watch him.

Glad you had a great trip.

Jan
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM
MW123

Hi Michelle
great photos! what kind of camera did you use (zoom size in particular)?
loved the Zanzibar beaches, with my husband we're planning to go there at the end of November, where did you stay on the island ?
/Maria

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:48 AM
MW123

OK, Blue Bay Resort, sorry didn't read carefully ;-)

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Thanks for sharing these. I was captivated by the baby giraffe feeding from the mama and especially the photo of the two babies together! WOW!

And your zebra pictures have such a strong bright white and black to them - all the zebras in mine look kinda grubby!

But I'm most envious of the one towards the end of the hippo kicking up dust, the setting sun lighting it up like golddust! AMAZING!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
sandi

Fantastic photos - the giraffe babies against the size of mom, the hippos just outstanding, catching the dust devils in Amboseli, the sea of pink flamingos at Lk. Nakuru and the blue in Zanzibar... you go so many of those amazing doors Stone Town is famous for. Great job and never too many pics. Thanks for sharing these.

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Great pictures Michelle! Looks like a fantastic trip! What kind of camera did you use?
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Jan - on our path back to Sopa we drove through the other lodges and had to dodge some trees knocked down in the middle of the road from where the elphants came through. Our guide mentioned an elephant I believe to be Adam - the one that comes near the Ol Tukai Lodge. Next time I will stay there - logistically it is way better...and to be closer to those beautiful creatures! I read your trip report and loved it. How did you come to meet your friend that studies and helps the elephants?

For those that asked - I had 2 cameras that I used - Sony DSC-W5 and the new DSC-H1. I bought the telephoto lens to go with the DSC-H1 which increased my range tremendously. I'm more on the novice side when it comes to digital cameras - so I wanted something that would point and shoot - but one that I can grow with it as I learn - that is where the H1 model came in. Believe me - when I saw the animals, my last thought was trying to select a camera setting!! Both cameras are point and shoot - I used the W5 model when driving on the road - and when I needed quick and easy access. The H1 model was used when we were stopped somewhere and I had a steady footing. I thought about buying an SLR - decided I will buy one when I go back to U.S.A. and can take a class on how to use it!

Maria - the lens I bought is the VCL-DH1758 58mm High Grade 1.7X Telephoto Conversion Len - specifically for Sony cameras. Other info on the H1 - without conversion lens: Focal Length is 6 - 72mm - 35mm equivelant is 36 - 432mm. Also - Blue Bay Resort was *very* nice - about 20 to 30 minute drive from airport and town. Wasn't too crowded when we were there either - which was great.

Kavey - I have a secret with my photos - I have always used a program called ACDSee to view and crop my photos. I noticed that most of the pics I took in Africa were a little too bright (with point and shoot setting) - and on a fluke, I modified the exposure slightly with the software. I was amazed at the difference in color - my original pictures were not so rich in color detail. I went through the ones I liked and changed the exposure, but kept the original (as modifying it changes it to a smaller file size). Keeping the original file allows me to manipulate them in some other way down the road. You might be interested to know that the hippo picture - even though it does look like dust - it is actually steam coming off of the hippo's body from just coming out of the water. I know it is hard to tell with the sun in the background. When I took the picture - it was almost directly into the morning sunrise - was suprised that one came out as well (remember - novice!)

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your trip reports and other helpful hints. I got a little emotional looking at all of the pictures and reading the reports - I have recommended your stories to anyone considering a trip to Africa.

Here are a couple of great Web Sites for camera reviews for those that are interested (it's how I do all my shopping these days):

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

Hope that helps some - if you haven't used photo editing software - try it but don't overwrite your original picture!

Michelle

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Great pix AdventueBound, from the lions at the start to the Masai and cheetah. A nursing giraffe! How precious.

Tell me about David Livingstone in the Masai--location, # of beds, how long you stayed.

Can you describe the activity of the cheetah in your shots?
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM

hi, just checked out the first two rows of pics. so far i really like the hippo pics.very cool! check the rest later.
thx, david
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Michelle, don't worry, I understand. I use Photoshop to correct any exposure issues too. If I had more time at each scene I could set exposure manually by metering of an appropriate area of the scene but usually I don't have the time and leave the exposure to the automatic meter. And it often gets it wrong because it goes by multiple meters across the whole scene. I use Photoshop to take it back to how it actually looked or as close as I can remember anyways!

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

atravelynn -

The David Livingstone had 2 beds that they pushed together to make 1 king size (worked for us). Rooms overall were small but functional. We stayed there for 2 nights. As far as location - I didn't find out until we got there that we would be 2 hours (driving) from the migration.

I didn't get to pick any of the lodges due to the short notice of our trip - we were pretty much at the mercy of our travel agent here in Bahrain (who knew nothing about Africa or the lodges). This was our second time trying to book a trip - the first one couldn't be booked due to unavailability at lodges/airlines etc. - by the time we rec'd our itenary, we were just happy to be going. After reading everyone's posts - I've learned that you need time to prepare for this sort of trip and to hand pick lodges that are close to animal movement.

Luckily we liked all of the lodges, our driver and everything we encountered along the way. We were very pleased considering we had no idea what we were going to get!

In the Mara - we happened upon the cheetah along with a few other vehicles. It was strolling about alone, heading toward the bush. I thought we might see more cats during our journey - but for a first time safari it was neat just to see one...

Michelle
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Michelle:

If you plan to stay at Ol Tukai, which is a great place to stay, get the Fly-In Package (will include your rt air from Nairobi as well as full-board accomodations). When you fly in, Ol Tukai's driver who will meet you at the airstrip and will be your game guide is Isaac (nee Lemomo). He is the brother of two of the researchers and can probably set up a meeting for you.

Jan
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Thanks Michelle! Yes, get along with your driver/guide is paramount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -