Search

Phinda vs Hluhluwe/Umfolzi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phinda vs Hluhluwe/Umfolzi

We are staying at a lodge on a private game reserve in KZN near these two reserves which has no lions and just a few leopards. We can sign up for a day trip to either Phinda or H/U. If I could only pick one, which do you recommend?
Previous to this, we will have been in Chobe (3 days), Victoria Falls (4 days) with day trips to Namibia and Zambia. The week before that will be spent mostly in Capetown.

Would Phinda or H/U be a better choice to round out our animal viewing. We will also be going into St. Lucia and Sodwana Bay.

This is our first trip and we want to make the most of our 3 weeks.
Thanks,
Julie
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM

Don't know anything about H/U, but Phinda is reknown for its cheetahs and leopards. So if that interests you, that may be your choice.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM

I was at Phinda a week in late June-July. No info on H/U.

Phinda Lions--In the north there are 3 males that are usually separate from a couple of females so the pride is split.

In the south there is a pride with quite a few members and cubs, but they have been in the mountains and unseen.

Phinda Leopards--very shy at Phinda and not often seen. If you do the leopard tracking activity in search of a collared leopard at night, you may have better luck. Plus that would be very interesting.

Cheetah--Plentiful but for one day, who knows what you'll see.

What are the attractions at the private reserve? Maybe just stay there if something is interesting.

Leopards are hard to see anywhere. With 3 days in Chobe, that's where you'll probably see lions. Also depends on where you're going in Zambia and Namibia.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:34 AM

I have spent 10 days at Phinda and the only time I saw a leopard is when I went on a leopard tracking drive which cost extra and the sighting was not that great. However you almost always see cheetah amd that by itself might be worth the trip to Phinda. Also they have rare black rhino which are not seen hardly anywhere else. I do not know about H/U but I would recommend Phinda.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:56 AM

Phinda is known for the black rhino. We just spent three days at Phinda and never saw a leopard and it was never discussed by our ranger as something to see. We only saw a black rhino one time in the six drives and this was with one game drive spent looking only for them (and this was with an excellent ranger/tracker). So it is not guaranteed you'll see them in one day or one game drive. We did see lions mating. We saw a cheetah once, lounging.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM

Clematis, I am getting bits and pieces of your trip. Are they all contained in one report anywhere?

Mytmoss, Where did you spend those 10 days at Phinda and what other activities, if any, did you do?
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

atravelynn, the 10 days was in 2 separate trips. I loved it so much I went back 2 years later for 5 more days. I stayed at Forest Lodge and the ranger there was Walter. He is by far and away one of the two best rangers I have had.

I did not do too many outside activities, I was there to see animals and take pictures of them. I did take advantage of the trip to the river which was fun and relaxing. I also paid $100 for leopard tracking and viewing. There is no guarentee you will see a leopard, but there are a number of them with collars there. They are doing a project with them. I did manage to see a female and her cub for a very short time.

Phinda has lots of leopards, but generally you will not see them. For some reason they are not habituated like in Sabi area. You see their track and thats it. Many rangers have said that if a leopard does not want to be seen, you will not see them.

Back to the leopard and the tracking. Part of the $100 goes to studying leopards, especially related to hunting. Hunting of leopards is allowed in parts of South Africa and near Phinda.

Hunters were taking out the large dominent males in the area as trophies and what they project found was interesting. The females STOPPED breeding. Every time the dominant males was killed, a newcomer came in control of the territory, killed the young cubs to sire new ones. I guess this happened to a point where the females did not breed at all until they could be sure there would not be a new dominant male coming into play often.

Because of this study, the South African government changed their hunting policy and the female leopards of Phinda are now breeding again.

Phinda is fenced and does border at least 1 hunting lodge. However the leopards there see the fence as a minor obsticle and cross over it at will.

You can see my pictures at
http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/phonda_2005
and
http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/phinda_south_africa_2004_
I highly recommend Phinda, especially Forest Lodge and Walter
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at Zulu Nyala Lodge for six nights. But rather than spend every day on that private reserve, we can book day trips to others. They seem to have a special arrangement with Phinda for access. I understand the Hluhlue-Umfolozi is supposed to be a really good national park/reserve as well.
Thanks for all your input.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM

If you want a very good chance to see the big 5, Hluhluwe Imfolozi is one of the best. At one water hole, saw white rhino, the next saw black rhino. The only thing I didn't see that morning was a leopard, which we saw that evening close to the chalets. Not bad for a weekend jaunt out of Durban.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM

Clematis, I can't find your trip report either, please help us find it. Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM

H/U is the reserve that saved the white rhino back when they were nearly extinct. My memory of several trips there (1999/2000/2001) is that white rhinos were around every corner, and I saw black rhino once each trip (several days long). I've seen lions there briefly, but not leopard or cheetah. Because you can go off-road at Phinda you can have better sighting when the animals are found. My old trip reports:

http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/southafrica.html
http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/southafrica00.html
http://www.cathouse-fcc.org/southafrica01.html

Nancy
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:50 AM

Mytmoss,

I inquired about the leopard tracking. It must have gone way up in price because it was nowhere near $100. Maybe you had a few other people in the vehicle to split the cost. I agree it would be a fascinating activity. I understand your desire to return. No pun intended. Phinda = The Return
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:37 AM

Lynn, are you back? How was Phinda?
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM

Never mind, just found your trip report.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

I was by myself for the $100. I guess the price has gone way up! Maybe it got very popular and decided to charge more.

Mike
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM

julienk-my husband and I are also getting ready for a trip to the Zulu Nyala Reserve! When do you go? We leave in less than 2 months! I hope you give us a report on your trip. I'd like to compare notes when we get back.

Everyone else responding-Thanks for some great info. We don't really know what to expect. It's a first trip to Africa for both of us. We are looking at the daytrips to the Tembe Elephant Reserve and the St. Lucia Wetlands. Is there any info from anyone on these places?

Thanks,
Martha
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Martha, we will be at Zulu Nyala Nov 13-19th. We will spend the two weeks prior to that, with a group, going to Capetown, VF area, Chobe and quick trips into Namibia and Zambia.
This is our first time and I can't wait. I would love to hear from you when you get back as to what the best ZN activities were. Please email me at
[email protected] if you get a chance
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM

julienk
I'll definitely let you know how the trip went. I'm starting now to collect my new clothes and other items I'll need and making lists. I wish I could start the actual packing now! I'm getting so excited!
MarthaR
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM

We just got back from South Africa and spent two nights at Phinda (walking safari which also included game drives) and two nights at H/U at Mpila Camp. We saw all of the Big 5 at Phinda except for leopard. In addition, we saw giraffe, zebra, elepant, one black rhino and a few white rhino and one cheetah. At H/U, we did not see any lion or leopard and the only elephants we saw were at an extreme distance. On the other hand, we saw lots of rhino, giraffe, zebra and other animals. If you have your heart set on the Big 5, go to Phinda. But if you can manage to visit both Phinda and H/U, I highly recommend doing that. We loved being able to see most of the Big 5 at Phinda, but we loved being able to spot the animals on our own (and often very close up) at H/U.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed info, Longhorn. Sounds like a good and do-able plan.
Martha, if you live near a Sports Authority store, they were having a great sale on light weight, clothing....marked down once and then 25-50% off that. I got my husband some great shorts and dry-weabe type shirts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -