Patty & Mark's Kenya/Tanzania photos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No time to start a trip report yet but how 'bout some photos?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=drl4tc

As you can see it was incredibly lush and green which made for challenging game viewing. We saw few predators this trip compared to previous ones and no dogs in northern Kenya or Selous Despite the limited amount of game we saw, we had a fantastic time (though there were a few jokes about the animals having gone to Angola) and I learned to identify a lot of birds on this trip.

I have more camp photos (from both places where we stayed and places that we visited) that I'll be uploading separately.

Any questions, please ask.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Hey, I haven't looked at all of them, but I LOVE the giraffe silhouette from behind--what a lovely shot.

Welcome back. Get cracking on that report.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Welcome home! Can't wait to read your report... Thanks for posting pictures so quickly.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Patty I enjoyed your great collection of snaps from the Billboard to the mating Millipedes?!

Such a variety, Zebroids, the Croc head emerging from the shore, the two Secretary Birds, Bush Baby, Frog, Hippo negotiating his way in white water, the Turtle, the four Rock Hyrax are so cute, YOU piloting the plane and so many nice facilities!

Asante, Den
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Just the African fix I needed - thank you. Your pictures are wonderful and so lush. Loved the monkeys, birds and antelope close ups. Can't wait to hear the stories behind the pics. Rest you head first, then fill us in.
Welcome back;
Sherry
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I see the Angola joke has made it to Kenya and Tanzania. I'm sure someday I will be sitting in a vehicle during a quiet African game drive and the guest next to me will remark "Looks like everything's in Angola."

I'll be viewing the photos later.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Welcome back! For some reason I thought you would be there at Christmas. WONDERFUL photos. Can't wait to hear about the trip... rehydration salts???

How did you like southern Tanz??

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks Patty - your photos were <b>great</b> -- apparently not <b><i>all</i></b> the animals went to Angola!

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM

great pictures Patty and beautiful country! glad not everything had gone to Angola. Can't wait to read your report, will ask questions about the horse riding there. Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM

oh yeah, WELCOME HOME PATTY!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Welcome back Patty! I see you went to the animal orphanage at Mt Kenya!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Great pictures, Patty! Love the landscapes, the dassies, the zebroid - lots of them. The green season makes some beautiful pictures. At least all of the animals didn't go to Angola.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:23 AM

Great pics Patty-
I can't believe how green it is! I wonder if it will dry out before end of Jan.

Your pics of Joy's camp convinced me to add that to our itinerary. We're working on getting in.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:45 AM
sandi

Welcome Home!

Great pics... so nice to see green, green and more green. So what if there was lots of mud and getting stuck in the muck!

Photos of Joy's, nicer than those I sent to you earlier. A beauty, and what I would expect from C&amp;P.

Can't wait to read the report.

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM

Wow, loved your pics!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM

What struck me about so many of your pictures was the vibrant landscape colors. With or without animals the pictures were captivating shots of the terrain.

Did I see a nursing dik dik calf? What a find! I especially liked the baby vervets, croc peeking out from the reeds, a couple of different vulturine guinea fowl, the sun hitting the grey headed king fisher just right, the pair of secretary birds, the rock climbing baboons, and the hyrax family. You got several shots of the gerenuk, my latest obsession.

Welcome home!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM

Patty, great photos...can't wait to see the rest! What camera were you using? I'm looking to replace my current one and I think yours is excellent. Of course, the camera is only part of the equation as it's also the person behind the lens!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

Lynn,
Yes that was a nursing dik dik. It was right on the side of the road!

ovenbird,
I used a Canon S1 IS. It's several years old but you can get the current version which is the S3.

Leely,
I met Squack at Sand Rivers and he remembered you right away. He said whatever you told me about him was totally untrue

Ah, yes rehydration salts. I was sick the morning we flew to Sand Rivers. They were really concerned about me getting dehydrated. As a result we basically did nothing our first two days at SR but lounge by the pool or in our cottage. It was actually quite enjoyable (the lounging part, not the getting sick part) and I thought to myself, I couldn't have picked a better place to be sick

It's hard for me to judge Selous because the experience was not what I'd planned. We did up end doing one short boat ride and two short drives when I started feeling better. The boat ride was wonderful. I wished I could've stayed out longer but I just wasn't up for it.

And it was really <b>hot</b>, boy was it hot there in December. Next time I have to really give some thought to the time of year than I did this trip.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM

Patty, thanks for the pics.

Which would you recommend between:

(A) Larsen's versus Joy's Camp ?

(B) Kenya versus Tanzania ?

(C) December versus September ?

Since you've been so many places, your input is much appreciated!!

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM

Patty, karibu nyumbani. The green and misty Samburu looks really fascinating, as do all the other places. So many zebroids everywhere. Are they “accidents” or do people breed them? You’ve some of the best dik dik shots I’ve ever seen. I just love the baby vervet at Larsen’s. The waterbuck in the green really is posing. Good that you got a shot at Joyce. Lovely hyraxes at Elsa’s. I would have felt perfectly safe flying with Patty the Pilot, I think. Sorry you were sick in Selous. Asante sana kwa picha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -