Search

"participation" safari

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"participation" safari

I am contemplating a "participation" safari in late June with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. Anyone with experience with this kind of trip? Specifically with Bobcat Safari, a UK company: http://www.letsgobobcat.com/? We have lots of camping experience so it sounded like fun and a good way to save a buck ( or pound).
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:10 PM

I think it would be great. Especially as you have lots of camping experience. I don't know anything about that company however. Did you try the search function here?
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:01 AM

I don't know that specific company, but we did a participation safari in Botswana several years ago, and it was great. We put up our own tents (after instructions from the staff), and helped with the cooking (under staff guidance). It was great fun, and I think experienced campers, especially teenaged ones, would love it.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:34 AM

What country are you considering doing this in? Any details would help in responding. June is cold in Botswana and in East Africa it is very close on the heels of the rainy season. Liz
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

This would be in Botswana, ending in Victoria Falls. The trip would be end of June/beginning of July. How cold is cold?
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:07 PM

Hello Drbeier,

I haven't been to Botswana. A Google search brings up some pages that say Botswana's winter (June / July) days are hot (high 20s C), but nights are subfreezing, and frost occurs when there is enough moisture for it to form. I have experienced those conditions in some parts of Botswana's neighbouring countries, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Having slept in a tent in Namibia's winter, I suggest you sleep in something quite warm, e.g., a jogging suit, and use a sleeping bag that's rated for subzero temperatures. Silly as it may sound when you're heading for the Tropic of Capricorn, pack a wool cap and gloves.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:41 AM

drbeier-
I asked about the country because I have stayed at the campgrounds in Botswana. Now I'm not sure you will be staying there. We did see some safari groups there when I was there in 1991 with Earthwatch. Our group would be classified at the lowest possible level of safari class, considering the public campgrounds, etc. We had small 2 person tents that we put up and took down. We brought our own sleeping bags and traveled in a truck. We cooked, and used the public restrooms and showers. Mostly locals in their cars used the campgrounds but some safari groups came through too. They had cooks, etc, but used the public areas. Normally mobile safaris with ensuite facilities do not. They are able to camp in the wilds. I would recommend doing it for those who are on a budget. We had animals in camp each night and there were places to build your fires to cook and there also were benches and tables to use. Yes June will be cold nights. I was there in September and it was hot, so how cold it gets is bitter before the sun comes up. I know it will be fun and a wonderful experience for a family. You'll love Botswana. Liz