Search

packing questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
packing questions

We leave on May 4th for 3 weeks in southern Africa. I have gotten so much help with all the wonderful packing lists. Why do we need to pack toilet paper for the game drives? Doesn't the lodges and tent camps have toilet paper so you can take a "wad" as my Dad would have said? Trying to keep the volume to be packed at a minimum. Also, what adapters are needed for South Africa, Livingstone and Botswana? Magellan's has F or C in Botswana, C in Zambia and H or C in South Africa. Do you need all 3? Thanks, Gail
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:20 AM

Gail,

You don't need to take toilet paper with you from your home country. You just need to remember to take some with you from your suite or tent on the game drive. However, I always pack some small size ziplock bags from home, so that I can use them on the game drive for the toilet paper, and I take a small bottle of Purell.

The adapter for South Africa is a little odd shape (not quite square), with one big round pin at the top and two smaller round pins at the bottom, I think it is the Magellans type H.

Most camps in Botswana don't have electricity except for charging camera batteries. I've never taken a separate adapter for Botswana, I think the camps were able to take a standard U.S. plug, or the South Africa one, or maybe they provided the right adapter, I can't seem to remember. Anyone else know????

Remember to take warm clothes, it will be cold on your early morning game drives.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM

Oops, forgot to ask, what's your itinerary? And have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:55 AM

Of course you don't have to bring a roll of TP, and yes you can take a wad from the camp... just never forget this as you're heading out on game drives.

However, I never travel anywhere without 4-6/tissue packs, always in my daybag (backpack, fannypack, totebag, whatever you use). They're good for potty breaks anywhere, cleaning hands, wiping face. So it's up to you.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

I thought that you would be able to get TP at the lodges/camps. I have kleenex and can always use that. Saves a little room.
This all started with a auction buy of 6 days in Zulu Nyala. I was not going to fly that distance for only 6 days, so it grew to a 21 day trip.

May 4th leave Seattle in evening
May 5th arrive London. Lv in evening
May 6th arrive in Cape Town in morning
May 7th 8th 9th in Cape Town at a bed and breakfast with a private driver
May 10th to 15th fly to Zulu Nyala Game Reserve. 3 days at Nyati Lodge and 3 days at the Game Lodge
May 16th fly to Victoria Falls at the Tongabezi Lodge
May 17th elephant back safari
May 18th Helicopter flight over falls
May 19th fly to Nxabega Okavango Safari Camp
May 20th and 21st at Nxabega
May 22nd fly to Sandibe Safari Lodge
May 23rd and 24th at Sandibe
May 25th fly to Johannesburg and stay the night at Zulu Nyala Country Manor (no world traveler plus seats available that night)
May 26th leave for London at 9:15 pm
May 27th back in Seattle at 4:35 pm

I was going to make a trip journal like LynnS suggested in one of her posts, but the TA gave us this spiral bound book that includes pictures of all the places we are staying, descriptions of the area, suggestions of things to do, maps. flags, history of the places, tipping tips etc etc

Thanks for all the help that I have been able to glean from following posts. Gail

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM

"Packing Tip for Women Only"

In the recent posts I have not seen any mention of the importance of taking sports bras. The rides in the jeeps or whatever transportation is being used on the game drives is very rough. This was suggested to me and it was an amazing difference. Make sure they are light enough to dry overnight because "smalls" are not done by the staff. I actually washed one and took it to where they were hanging the clothes to dry and hung it up myself. Take two which will give enough drying time.

Secondly, we brought golf windshirts which proved invaluable. The wind shirts under the jackets did exactly what they are supposed to do, keep the wind from penetrating. Made a big difference also. Mornings are cold, afternoons get warmenr and evenings cold again.