Search

PACK FOR a purpose

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2019, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PACK FOR a purpose

This organization sounds helpful to local folks and I have contributed on my last few safari trips. I've read the guidelines for Zimbabwe, whee we plan to visit in September. I'd welcome any advice on what to bring...I'd love to bring everything on the list but have to keep the weight down.

Yarn for knitting beanies? Must it be wool (not acrylic) in order to sell better? School supplies? Last time I brought lots of colored chalk, pens, erasers, pencils--all as advised by the SA division of the organization.
Anyone with experience with the organzation who can advise woud be much appreciated!! I also ask my friends and neighbors to donate their slightly worn sneakers that they often discard but which are so very appreciated by hotel help..

https://www.packforapurpose.org
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
This organization sounds helpful to local folks and I have contributed on my last few safari trips. I've read the guidelines for Zimbabwe, whee we plan to visit in September. I'd welcome any advice on what to bring...I'd love to bring everything on the list but have to keep the weight down.

Yarn for knitting beanies? Must it be wool (not acrylic) in order to sell better? School supplies? Last time I brought lots of colored chalk, pens, erasers, pencils--all as advised by the SA division of the organization.
Anyone with experience with the organzation who can advise woud be much appreciated!! I also ask my friends and neighbors to donate their slightly worn sneakers that they often discard but which are so very appreciated by hotel help..

https://www.packforapurpose.org
Hi ek. Long time no talk-we used to chat on the paris forum on food! We have done 2 Kenyan safaris and used pack for a purpose each time. Our camps have a special link associated with their local school needs. Given the luggage weight challenges we tried for small items like pencils and crayons.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Plambers a big hello to you! glad you are getting the word out. Sadly I've not been to Paris in about ten year. Spain and Italy always win out, along with the more "exotic" destinations like Africa! . One day soon I hope to go back.

I wish more people knew about this organization, or even knew how well received their "old" tennis shoes would be. Wonder if there is another list someplace that we could find and use to know what to bring......
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 01:17 PM

Hi. I am facebook friends with many of our guides and camp managers so I can ask them.

We went to Kenya the last 2 years and we are heading to Ireland next week for 2 weeks. Thailand and Japan are high on our list but our kids are in high school so we can only really take long trips during the summer. Am open to suggestions!

I love Spain-I studied there many years ago and went to Madrid and Sevilla with my husband for his 50th. Me encanta Sevilla! I believe I took your dining recs with me!
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 02:22 AM

Most of these items are now available in Kenya so why not help the local economy and buy them there? It would also save on any luggage weight issues.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 04:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It is interesting because there is a similar thread currently going in Trip Advisor's Kenya forum right now. Kath, I think you're on that too? I agree though, if I can get these items locally, I'd rather keep my luggage restrictions for myself and support the local economy if I can.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by amyb
It is interesting because there is a similar thread currently going in Trip Advisor's Kenya forum right now. Kath, I think you're on that too? I agree though, if I can get these items locally, I'd rather keep my luggage restrictions for myself and support the local economy if I can.
Yes Amy I've responded on TA also. 😊 Local is definitely the way to go!