Worries about hiring an AUTOMATIC car in Morocco

Jul 20th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Worries about hiring an AUTOMATIC car in Morocco

Hi,

My fiancee and I wish to travel in two months time to Morocco for about 2.5 weeks. We are hoping to do a surfing trip around the Agadir-Safir regions. However, we would also like to hire a car to be able to drive off to see interesting places.

I have several questions. I can only drive an automatic car. From past posts, I can see that only Cassablance seems to hire auto cars. I wanted to pick a car up in a smaller city like Agadir, for example, to avoid driving in the bigger cities. I worry that getting a car may be impossible if I only have experience driving automatic cars as I have heard lots of horror stories of cars breaking down or people booking cars and receiving different model cars upon arrival. The problem is that this would be fine if I could drive manual but I physically can't drive them. If I book an auto and they only have a manual when I turn up, or if my automatic car breaks down and they can only offer a manual replacement, then this could ruin the trip.

Thus, I have the following questions:

Is it possible to get around Morocco via bus/train or is this quite hard?

Are there any places other than Cassablance that offer automatic cars for hire? If I type in automatic cars for October into www.rentalcars.com it seems to say that I can pick up an auto frm Agadir, as an example. Is this true?

Does anyone know of reputable companies that hire auto's that I could email and pre-book?

I appreciate all responses
Jul 21st, 2019, 06:51 AM

Even if you reserve an automatic, there is never any guarantee that you will get one. If you are physically unable to drive a stick shift, maybe your fiancee should take lessons.

For the train system in Morocco see: https://www.seat61.com/Morocco.htm

I only used a bus between Marrakech and Essaouira but it was fine. I believe that grand taxis will work pretty much everywhere, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica...o#Grands_Taxis
Jul 21st, 2019, 08:24 AM

Just use buses, trains and, as mentioned, grand taxis when you want to have a more flexible experience. I've lost count of the number of trips I've made to Morocco & never rented a car. I know some do but it's completely unnecessary and can even be a liability. Don't bother.
Aug 2nd, 2019, 02:55 PM

If you reserve a car group for automatic cars, thatís what youíll get. Specific models canít be guaranteed but you are unlikely to be given a manual car if you have booked an automatic car group.
But Iíd question whether itís a good idea to rent.
Aug 2nd, 2019, 05:01 PM

you are unlikely to be given a manual car if you have booked an automatic car group.
Do you have personal experience with that in Morocco? I have certainly been given stick when reserving an automatic, and have read of others having the same experience, although no data for Morocco.
Aug 3rd, 2019, 09:33 AM

You can get around just fine by bus in Morocco. It's not expensive and there are some very comfortable buses from Agadir to every city.