Search

How long to Safari

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:53 AM
zif

How long to Safari

We are planning to spend between 4 and 8 nights on safari in Kruger, South Africa, and have gotten differing advice concerning the right number of nights. Any thoughts?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
RnR

A few details, please, Zif: are you in one or two lodges - and which ones?<BR><BR>Normally, I'd sugegst a minimum of 3 nights - and 4 would be better, but only if you're seeing game. They give you two long games drives each day, and it can be a bit tedious if the animals are elsewhere.<BR><BR>Is this an add-on to a larger trip?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:39 AM
zif

This is an &quot;in-between&quot; to a longer trip - we would likely split the safari portion between two different lodges (right now looking at Sigita and Londolozi) - we are being told that 6+ nights might be too long

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:48 AM
RnR

Zif, we were at MalaMala (Kirkman's Kamp) three weeks ago - and the leaves were just beginiing to show.<BR><BR>Yes, 6 nights at one place would be too long. Three is about right - but if you're seeing lots of game you'll end up wishing you had stayed four nights.<BR><BR>Singita and Londolozi are good places - but expensive. Take a look at the MalaMala prices as well - a bit less, and a larger area for viewing, bordering Kruger.<BR><BR>The Kruger fences are down, so game go back and forth. I'm not sure what level accommodations you're looking for. K's Kamp is not fancy - but there are very nice. The rangers and tracekers are first rate.<BR><BR>When we were at KK, we were in-between Mombo in Botswana and Forest Lodge at Phinda, both luxurious - so we're seen at it all levels. KK was very adequate, not luxurious.<BR><BR>If you're driving, a cellphone is invaluable. And establish email contact with you lodge beforehand - and have them email good directions. And feel free to post more, and I'll be happy to answer questions, if I can. Londolozi and Singita were near where we stayed.<BR><BR>Bets regards.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Rocco

You may also want to check out Djuma Private Game Reserve (their new private game reserve is called Vuyatela and looks very nice) and Savanna Private Game Reserve. Both are slightly less than half the price of Singita.<BR>I stayed at Singita this year but with what I know now, I will gladly stay at a neighboring game reserve for 40-50% of the price.<BR>If you go to Djuma's website, you will even find a map of the entire Sabi Sand reserve, that will map out each private game reserve by name and show the size of their private reserve. <BR>I am planning a four night stay at either Vuyatela or Savanna next April.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Angie

It depends on how much of an animal lover you are. I could stay 8 nights, but I doubt most people would enjoy that. I believe the Singita and Londolozi Lodges are very similar, so you may not experience much difference if you stay at these two. However, I do think your idea of spliting up your visit at different lodges is a good one. We stayed at both Mala Mala and Singita last Christmas. These two are very different. Singita is extremely luxurious, while Mala Mala was more basic (but still very nice!). <BR><BR>The game drives at both were terrific, however, the Mala Mala guides were more aggressive in their driving. (Getting too close to the animals in my opinion.)We had a private game drive at Singita and actually saw a lion kill on our first drive! <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time!