Ever get tired of safari?

Dec 4th, 2002, 02:10 PM
karen

Ever get tired of safari?

I am trying to plan a safari for this summer but considering pairing it with a week in Europe. I have talked to a few people that say that a few days is enough of game drives because even in different camps, seeing giraffe, elephant etc starts to get routine after a while. Nobody on this board seems to feel that way-opinions?

Dec 4th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Lisa Waverley

No.

But if you do wnat to break it up, why don't you visit some other African vacation spots. One place I could NEVER get tired of is Cape town. I would really keep the trip separate to a trip to Europe. Once you are in Africa, there are so many wonderful places to go and different things to see. Save the European trip for a different time.

Dec 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Liz Frazier

Karen-
My husband and I do have a saturation point where getting up at 5:30am each day and bumping around gets old to us and we are ready to come home. The weather also affects us. We hit East Africa during a late rainy season one year and all of us in one small mini bus got real old. We figure about 10 to 15 days is it for us. Our upcoming trip is longer than that, but it is broken up by hotel overnights awaiting transportation and should give us a later morning when most needed.
Decide how you are about being away from your own bed and routine, and the same will apply that any other vacation does. It is exciting and thrilling and yes it can get weary one day, but the next you see a rare leopard or rhino and you are recharged. You can always skip a game drive if you need a break. Its kind of an individual thing. Most of us can't afford a long enough visit to get to that point though. Whether its time away from work or travel funds, something limits us. Age can too. Liz

Dec 5th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Thyra

My husband and I were on a 9 day safari.. which had 7 game drives.. it seemed perfect to me.. never once did I get saturated with game viewing, but we did spend one day with local people and it was a great way to break it up from Just game viewing, we also opted to go horseback riding again, it gave us other activities.. I think about 3 more days might have been a bit too much, but any less would have been unsatisfying. We are mid-30's. We ended up having 5 days to play in A'dam on the way home and it worked out splendedly..

Dec 6th, 2002, 01:15 AM
kavey

We did a 14 night trip which included 6 nights in Namibia before 8 in Botswana's Okavango Delta.

We didn't get fed up at all and I feel I could have done an extra week - infact the next trip may be up to 3 weeks long.

We missed a total of about 2 drives (I was feeling unwell one afternoon just for a few hours and I think we were just tired one morning) but mostly we couldn't wait to get out there on each drive and we slept so well we were refreshed each morning and raring to go!

Dec 7th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Neiley

Safari is heaven (not sure of the literal translation!?). Keep in mind you have two 3-4 hour game drives each day. I found that 6 or 7 days were perfect, staying at two or three different lodges. By changing lodges, you meet different people and experience different cuisine. Enjoy!

Search this Thread