Open vehicles in Maasai Mara?

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open vehicles in Maasai Mara?

Hello, Can anyone advise whether there are other camps in the Maasai Mara offering open vehicle game drives besides Kichwa Tembo? We'd like a little luxury but more important to us is a game drive in a vehicle open to the air, at least once during our safari! Thank you!!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Governors Camp does: http://www.governorscamp.com/main%20activities.htm
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I had taken a look at the website but the vehicle pictured appeared to be closed with just an open roof. Do you mean the "window" area is open on their vehicles too? If so that would be great!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Looks just the opposite to me. Open "windows" closed roof. We did this type in Botswana, ok for the wide open plains. But for the "treey" places I much prefer open all over. Not sure about other Gov camps.
DIVEWOP - are you there?? He has been there, would know.
regards - tom
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Last time I was at Mara Intrepids we went out on Game Drives in a very open vehicle. Not one of the toyota minivans... but a 4x4 with canvas sides that were removed.

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM

The vehicles we were taken out in from Governor's Camp didn't have any side windows at all - they were fully open. The roof was just canvas, I believe.

Here's a pic I took:

http://www.kaveyland.com/misc/GovernorsVehicle.jpg

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM

The vehicle in the Governor´s picture looks canvas covered and you can remove both the sides and the top. I went on game drives in a canvas side and top vehicle at Basecamp Masai Mara, but they also had pop-top vehicles. Samburu Intrepids had that kind of vehicle as well and, from what Pumbavu says, it’s the same at Mara Intrepids.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank-you, just what we were hoping for...thanks "Kavey" for the photo! Looks very comfortable, open yet shady too. Really appreciate everyone's input on this forum. It's making such a difference to us planning-wise!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:25 PM

I'm around Tom. But I'm a she, not a he. Everyone makes that mistake on Fodor's until they know better.
Just the 'tomboy' in me I guess. 8-)

Not all the landrovers are the same at Gov's. Some have the roll up windows like the one pictured where you sit the whole time.

Others, like Samuel's, have the canvas top which can be rolled open- I prefer those jeeps. You're able to stand on the seats or floors to take the pics out of the top. Easier to rest the camera and lens from there.
Or you can just hang the camera out the windows too.
Just a matter of personal preference I guess.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Richard's Camp also has open vehicles.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:04 AM
sandi

Many of the open sided vehicles have canvas tops - the sun can be brutal. Besides, Richard's - there's Saruni (the Sabi Sand kind) and Elephant Pepper their own version) - others also, mostly found at the higher-end camps.

Do remember, with open vehicles you have to be prepared with layers of clothing, scarf, socks, etc. as the wind can pick up when hauling across the plains in the cool mornings and evenings/nights.