One week in Mrrakech

Sep 9th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

One week in Mrrakech

We have a 12 day trip around Morocco ending in Marrakech where we have set aside a week for just Marrakech and nearby surroundings. My wife and I have rented a small one bedroom condo in Gueliz,Marrakech for the week. We are 75 years of age but still manage to walk about a few miles a day. We will not be renting cars in Marrakech,just walking or cabs.
We would like ideas of what to do for six full days as we will arrive late afternoon Saturday the first day and will just shop for a few groceries and see the local neighborhood. We plan so far of one day up in a balloon trip,one half day with two professional photographers, and a half day cooking a Moroccan meal at a cooking school or with our full time maid who knows Moroccan cooking..Maybe a half day splurging at the Mamounia Hotel for lunch where we stayed one night in1963.We will probably want to eat mostly international food after 12 days traveling. Ideas for restaurants especially lunch as we probably will eat lightly at night in our condo. We retire early about 10 PM and arise very early about 6AM so we will do little night life .We speak a bit of French and Spanish and a few sentences in Moroccan Arabic as we live in Kenitra for 30 months on a US base. This trip is on our Bucket List.
Would appreciate others ideas.
Sep 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM

I would have a really hard time spending that long in Marrakesh. I would head to Essaouira for part of it, but that advice may be too late if you already have a remtal contract.
Sep 10th, 2015, 11:11 PM

Sallam 'lekum cgeidl,

Congratulations on dipping your toes into your Bucket List.

I was recently in Kenitra (or perhaps you knew it as Port Lyautey then?), and the nearby beach of Plage des Nations is receiving a major facelift, both good (seaside promenade) and bad (golf resort).

What a wonderful opportunity to really get under the skin of Marrakech...I wish I could stay with you for the week

Befitting the city's status as a creative hub, Marrakech now boasts quite a number of very good museums and galleries; see this helpful review by the wanderarti folk: http://www.wanderarti.com/the-ultima...-in-marrakech/
The wide range of dining options in Marrakech is quite unbelievable nowadays. As you're staying in Guéliz, I strongly suspect that the lunch offerings at the Amal Women's Training Centre may become your regular haunt for the week.
And of course, lap up the ambiance during your return visit to La Mamounia among the ghosts of Churchill, Roosevelt et al.
If you like a tipple or two at home, remember that the Marjane supermarkets no longer sell alcohol but (most of) the Acima supermarkets do.

Happy travels,
Darren Humphrys
Sep 12th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Darren. Will use the museum guides and Thursdaysd we are going to Essaouira for a day and a half or so before Marrakech.We may stay another night in Essaouira before Marrakech and just check in a day late to our weekly rental.
Will try the Women's Training Center and maybe try to volunteer in some way if we run out of things to do for really six full days.
Sep 12th, 2015, 05:16 PM

Hi cgiedl!

It will be great for you to return to a place where so much has changed but yet, in many ways, much is still the same. And what fun to go back to where you had lunch many years ago, the iconic La Mamounia! We stayed there right before it's major renovation. The gardens are spectacular!

One of our favorite experiences was a guided drive up into the Atlas Mountains where we spent most of the day with the miller (and his family) of a Berber village. We had a tour of his home and his milling "operation". Fascinating! His wife was very proud of her "dishwasher" in her kitchen. They had dug a trench from the river in the back of the property and the water flowed in this trench through the kitchen of their home. She loved that she could place dishes in the trench and they would "clean themselves"! It was a great day!

On the way back, the guide took us to the track where the camels race. He introduced us to a group of nomad boys who care for the camels. They showed us around and taught us a few things about camels but they mostly impressed us with their motivation to work and their level of responsibility at such a young age.

The people are incredible there. Enjoy your trip!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Sep 15th, 2015, 06:54 AM

Hi Cgiedl!

A wonderful suggestions for you of your week in Marrakech.
1st day visit the monuments as saadien tombs,Palais Bahia,Medrasa Ben Youssef,Si said museum,and the souls finishing your day by visiting the square of Jamaa Lafna.
2nd day visit the Majorelle gardens, take a caleche (horse drawn carriage) and visit the main streets in the city.
3rd day visit a Berber village in Ouirgane in the Atlas Mountains,you can get on mules and climb up the mountain have, lunch with a Berber family,the local guide who speaks good English and lives in the village will show you the project of water machine that other countries helped them to achieve it and back to Marrakech by 4 pm.
4th day visit Essaouira the artists city and old Portuguese port ,you can watch fishermen getting their catch of the day,have sea food lunch walk by the beach.
5th day day at leisure in Marrakech,visit Menara gardens and Agdal gardens.
6th day if you are beach lovers you can go on a day trip to Agadir a very nice city with a long beach ,it was destroyed by an earthquake in the 60s,the city was builed again it is new but it deserves the visit. For all this trips you will need a driver to take you to this places, I know a very good driver ,experienced and speaks good english he has a large knowledge of each city if you would like I can give you his name and phone number but not on the forum,let me know your email address and will send you the info.happy travels
Sep 15th, 2015, 02:02 PM

How about taking a cooking class or two at the Maison Arabe restaurant ? It would be a wonderful souvenir !
Sep 16th, 2015, 03:57 PM

Good idea Bedar cooking class at la maison Arabe is Great but try to go on a day with many reservations so they don't make you pay a huge amount to get their turnover of the day.food and atmosphere are fantastic.enjoy it
Sep 24th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the many suggestions. We have decided on going to the Amal Women's Center cooking class. You can request a date and the dish you wish to learn. We have requested Pastilla as we have cooked cous cous and tagine for 53 years. We also are taking a photo class from two professional photographers and I am going one day up in the balloon but my wife considers it too dangerous right now.One day will be to the Ourika Valley and waterfalls and two days to look at the museums, gardens, and palaces. If time permits we may try to assist some way at the women's center. A long lunch at the Mamounia and the week is up.
Sep 25th, 2015, 01:10 AM

Bravo cgeidl! That looks like one fabulous week.
Sep 25th, 2015, 12:08 PM

This is going to be great! Have a great time in Morocco.

Search this Thread