Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

One More Stupid Question: Dubai Visa Wants My RELIGION?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All
In looking at as many add-ons stopovers for my North America to Africa work trip as possible I considered Dubai.
Yet they require a VISA and on it they ask a lot of questions including occupations of my wife's parents? And our religion!

Having traveled mostly in Asia/ S. Pacific I am not used to this. Is it common in the Middle East?
Peterman
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Why do you want so many add-ons?

I visited Saudi Arabia in 2001, and I was told that if I indicated "Jewish" on my visa application, it would be rejected, so I told them I was "pre-Christian" and I was granted a visa.

I am also visiting the UAE in November, and I understand that US citizens will be issued a visa at the airport.

Put down whatever you want -- they are not going to check.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM
sandi

That's a good one!

No one is going to check which religion you may be or not. And, I believe, at Thit-cho mentions, American's can obtain a visa on arrival. Believe for 72-hrs it's free; for longer stay a fee, but not much. Check the Emirates Air website... lots of good information.

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM

If you list, "Jedi", you could try some mind tricks to get past immigration...
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I like the Jedi suggestion - the forms are a great opportunity to exercise your imagination
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Jedi!
Funny people.

As to the "why so many add-ons" question. That's my style. Kenya on the way in...Dubai or something else on the way out. Maybe a long weekend somewhere in between if I can swing it.

I have found in even three days o the ground I can usually accomplish something that usually whets my appetite for a longer visit.

Why not stop off in a country if I can?

As for the religion thing, in all seriousness, and I'm sure some will strongly disagree, I feel that if a place wants to ask my religion and actually refuses people based upon their religion, I'll take my business elsewhere (not that they need it in Dubai, that's for sure).

Thank you for your input. This forum is great!
Peterman
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM
africnow

The main thing is not to put "atheist" or "none". Putting "Jewish" won't help, but may not hinder either depending on the country. Dubai is one of the latter AFAIK.

Otherwise I agree with you. If they will refuse me based on my religion I prefer to take my business elsewhere.

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM

.....on the other hand, I can be any religion or nationality anyone wants me to be. depends on who they're shooting at that day [-o< - no shame here!
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
OTOH if their Hollywood/English recognition is not so hot, for Jedi they might think you've mis-spelled "Jihad" and then you'll really need the force to be with you.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Han Solo; "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM
santharamhari

It is probably just a question....dont read into it too much. Dubai is very very cosmopolitian and westernized, that, there really is nothing to worry about.........

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Depending on where you're from, you get the visa at immigration. They just stamp your passport and they may ask you where you came from or what hotel you'll stay at. Its very minimal. If being asked your religion dissuades you from visiting that country, that's pretty sad.
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:10 PM
santharamhari

Honestly, it is a standard question in most visa applications, including the USA (i think)

Hari

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:33 AM

How long are you planning on staying? Just a weekend? If you are a US citizen (among others) you do not need to apply for a visa ahead of time. You can get a stamp for 60 days right at the airport immigration lines. The only thing you might need is something showing you have $ and a place to stay and an onward ticket.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:52 AM

As an American you don't need to SHOW proof of $, place to stay or onward ticket.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:07 AM

I don't know the exact details or legalities but we were denied a visa when we flew in from Nairobi this past Feb. b/c our dayroom fell thru and we didn't have a documented place to stay. I didn't get the impression that it had anything to do with being a US citizens after speaking with the airline rep. and a very inquisitive customs agent, though. I did, however, feel that b/c our plane had arrived from Africa and we did have to deplane in Nairobi for a bomb sweep after evicting 2 Mid East men that this may have been the reason. Like Africa, I suspect that none of these things are written in stone.
Sherry
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:17 AM

Hari, it may be a standard (but silly) question on visa applications, but I know from experience (like my trip to Saudi Arabia) that certain countries (you can guess which ones) will reject applications based on the applicant's religion.

I have even read recently that Iran is considering requiring Jews and Christians to wear identification, ostensibly so that Muslims don't mistakenly shake hands with an infidel, but more likely so they have better sightlines for when the shooting begins.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
africnow

thit cho

Yes there are a number of countries that will refuse a person entry based solely on religion and/or nationality.

Together with that, the report that Iran is/was going to require non-Muslims to wear an identifying colour was false. It was published by a newspaper owned and run by some Iranian exiles in Canada. Sorry - I don't remember the name of the paper, but it was reported on all of the news sources throughout Europe and the Mid-East.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM
africnow

santharamhari
No, I think not. In fact it is illegal in most western-oriented countries to ask a person's religion.

Old May 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM

Sherry, you were denied entry into Dubai? I'm surprised to hear this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -