OMG! Ideas for 3rd trip??!

Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

OMG! Ideas for 3rd trip??!

First trip to Tanzania - Fantastic!
Second trip to Cape Town and Botswana - Fabulous!

What do we do for a third trip?? I would be happy going back to either destination - mixing some old with some new. However, I am stumped. The more we see and experience, the more we like.

We liked the slower pace of Botswana, but missed the late evenings of Tanzania (since our guides in Tanzania were not obligated to stay up with us, we enjoyed many leisurely hours after dinner just talking. Guides in Botswana were tired after hosting us for 15-16 hours, so we rarely stayed up to talk with other guests after meals).

Also, we now know we would prefer a private vehicle. And to travel in September. Green Season in Botswana was great ( it was muddy, but it was not too rainy.) However, we want to try a new time of year. (First time was in July, this second time in February).

Any suggestions?

Definitely hooked,
Jeanine
Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:18 PM

Zimbabwe and/or Zambia would be my first choice.

S Africa? - Kruger private reserves, Phinda, Madikwe.
Feb 24th, 2011, 04:57 AM

I'd second the recommendation of Zambia and Zimbabwe. September can be rather hot, but the game viewing is great. In Zambia, go to South Luangwa NP and the lower Zambezi area. Then, fly to Vic Falls. From there, you can do a road transfer down to Hwange NP. Do another road transfer down to Bulawayo and finish up at Amalinda Camp near Matabo Hills NP.
Feb 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM

where did you go in Tanzania?
After going to the norther part myself for 2 times already I will be returning to Tanzania in September to visit Ruaha and Selous. This would definately give you the private experience you are looking for (and also the after diner talks )
Feb 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM

If you're looking for diversity of experience, Namibia offers a different environment, and Madagascar offers different wildlife.
Feb 25th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been curious about exploring both Zambia and Zimbabwe. How are the guides there? We found the guides/trackers in Botswana much better than those on our Tanzania trip (which included the usual northern circuit as well as Selous). Are there any particular camps/ outfitters that you would recommend?
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:06 AM

I've had better guides in Tanzania than in Bots; you just never know! I stayed at Somalisa Camp in Hwange last year and loved it. Dudley was the camp manager and also guided. He's guide-examiner in Zim, so he's quite experienced. One thing you might consider is using a private guide that travels with you to all the camps, rather than using the camp guides. I met Nic Polenakis at Somalisa; he's a Zim guide that does just that and is also a photographer. (www.myprivateafrica.com) I don't know how expensive that might be, but you could always get a quote from him.
Feb 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM

How about considering Uganda or Rwanda for visiting gorillas? Have not done this myself but it's on my "list".