Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlines

What is the airline to take from the Us to Israel? El Al, Continental or Delta?
Or doesn't it matter. Is there a difference in security, comfort, etc. as this is a long flight. Is it worthwhile to pay the difference for Business Class?
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM

Hi
It's about a 12-13 hour flight from ATL. Business class is more comfortable but more expensive. The return flight is a bit longer. Sorry I can't comment on either El Al or Continental as I've flown Delta.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM

There is not much difference between the various airlines that fly to Israel - compare them as you would for any other flight. The major points are - only El Al, Continental, Delta and USAir offer non-stop flights from the US. USAir from Philadelphia, Delta also from Atlanta.

You can fly almost any other airline if you change planes in Europe. If you are not coming from NY that is a consideration as you can fly directly from Chicago (for example) or other hubs to Europe and then on to Israel. That will break up your flight and give you time to stretch a bit.

I have never flown business class, but know that people who can afford it (and it is a big difference in cost) appreciate the extra room as it is a very long flight.

If you are worried about security then El Al is the safest way to go. They have their own security in the US and you will have El Al (Israeli) security check your luggage (TSA just rubber stamps their screening) and also screen the passengers.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 11:44 PM

I always go El Al. I want to support the airline, they are just as good as any, and their security is 'special'.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:49 AM

www.airlinequality.com has reviews not much difference

El Al best security measures.

Good personal experience on Delta.

Might check out getting CCs with continental onepass

60000 miles right away book coach then book an upgrade

free with FF miles you might also do this with Delta Skymiles.

www.cheapoair.com www.airawards.com couple of good

sites with sales on business class best if budget is good.

Happy Hunting,
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:55 AM

Turkish has 1 stops from NYC TLV via IST

ftom $400 each way a heck of a deal might have

a look at that also if budget is tight.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:11 AM

I come from the west coast of the US...and El Al has a non-stop from Los Angeles to Tel Aviv. It's a really really really long flight-- some people prefer to get on a plane and off at their destination, some people prefer to stop mid-way and walk around a bit. Stopping enroute will add time to your trip, and that must be taken into consideration.

I'm partial to the USAIR flights; they stop in Philadelphia, then non-stop from Phillie to Tel Aviv and Phillie's a great airport! You go through security again in Philadelphia -- a dedicated security for the Israel flight. The USAir flights are usually less expensive in my experience as well; certainly less expensive than El Al.

There is no security like El Al's it's true, but other airlines, like USAir do have special security for the Tel Aviv bound flights. In all fairness I should also mention that the El Al food is the best, and they walk around with fresh rolls and give seconds...and thirds.... Non of this roll wrapped in plastic stuff for El Al!

I have flown El Al business class on the non-stop (I was not paying for the ticket ha ha ha ha!). It is very expensive but if you can afford it there's no doubt that it makes a HUGE difference. The seats recline flat and it becomes a bed. I am a large woman and yet I slept quite comfortably.

As others have said above, you can stop in Europe and take a flight from there as well. You might have miles to take advantage of on American or someone who doesn't fly directly to Israel...although they have reciprocal points with El Al and British who DO fly to Israel. We often like to spend a few days in Europe enroute or return from Israel. (If you have miles you might use them to Europe on one airline, and pay or use miles from Europe to Israel. BTW two round trips using miles -- one to Europe, and one from Europe to Tel Aviv, is frequently cheaper (ie fewer miles) than going round trip to Tel Aviv from your US location. I know because I'm flying to Tel Aviv from Los Angeles with 4 days in Hungary, for fewer miles than the round trip from LA-TLV.)

On an unrelated note, you have revived an old thread in a different topic and asked for a guide recommendation. I have used and can recommend very highly Tanya Levy [email protected]
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:36 AM

qwovadis, why do you continue to offer irrespsonsible and dangerous advice?

The "airawards.com" site that qwovadis recommends is a quasi-legal operation that can cost unwary customers a great deal of money and trouble. Airawards.com is an operation that buys airline miles from frequent fliers and then converts those miles into award tickets that they (airawards.com, that is) sell to people looking for discount business and first class tickets. This practice isn't illegal in the sense of violating a law, but it is against the rules of virtually all frequent flier programs.

If you buy one of these tickets, you stand a chance of being turned away when you check in -- the airline will, correctly, tell you that your ticket is invalid. If you want to fly that day, you'll have to pay for a new ticket. Your recourse to recover the money you've spent is to deal with airawards.com. Good luck.

If you sell your miles to airawards.com, you run the risk of losing all of the miles in your FF account, and possibly more.

qwovadis has been told about this, and yet he/she continues to publicize the site. Please do not use this site: it can cause you a great deal of trouble.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM

Re using a "reseller" or "discounter" of airline tickets, I don't like to use them. You buy the ticket from them and that's it, -no- changes, not even for a fee. You think airlines have strict ticket policies, try dealing with a reseller. If you can even find anyone to talk to. I'd rather pay a couple $$ more and deal directly with the airline. Of course buying an e-ticket on line from actual airline website is fine.

And sure I'd prefer to fly business class, but with a budget I have to weigh spending it on business class or another 10 days on safari!!

regards - tom
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM

I have flown all three. Time, plane size general amenities about the same in coach. I think El Al still has 3 classes, so the Business class is not quite as luxurious as International Business/First that Continental and Delta have.
Business class can be 3 or 4 times the lowest coach fare, so while I'd love to do it some day, just way too expensive for me

When flying from the US EL Al does have more security from the beginning--both obvious and undercover. In Newark, Continental also has an additional security check just before the gate (I forget if Delta does too)

From Tel Aviv all airlines have the same stringent security.

EL Al does have a different feel to it. The flight attendants are Israelis (who speak English and other languages too), The food is all kosher and there are some people who will only fly EL Al on principle, so for better or for worse, you have a more Israeli/Jewish atmosphere on the flight.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM

The plane takes off, the plane lands.
If all three going the same place, non-stop, economy... go by price and/or if you're accruing miles.

Technically, ALL carriers to Israel regardless from where they depart are supposed to have the same strict security that El Al is known for.

Recall when departing Johannesburg there was also an El Al flight heading out... every passenger, regardless which carrier or where they were flying went thru the same very strict security procedures. And, it was nowhere as crazy at the TSA who hasn't the foggiest what they're doing!
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM

Delta flies nonstop from both JFK and Atlanta(B777 with flatbeds up front!)
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM

I don't know if it changed but years ago my Father provided armed security for El AL on the tarmac at JFK. I don't know if it continues and whether the other airlines do that too. I've flown to Israel from ATL and find the security good.