Search

Sofitel Sphinx Hotel, Giza

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sofitel Sphinx Hotel, Giza

Has anyone stayed at the Sofitel Sphinx Hotel in Giza. I'd like to hear your rants and raves. Also are there any good restaurants near the hotel?<BR>Jennifer
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM

The nearby Oberoi's Indian restaurant Moghul is regarded highly. May like to know Meridien Pyramids has some deals at $70 per night. When I looked (for a trip that I just returned from) Sofitel was not as good price. Ended up staying at Royal Nile (very new 5 star, next to former Meridien being done up) in town which I can recommend. Giza hotels are good for pyramids but a bit of a hassle for anything else. I have just given a review of hotel and a couple of restaurants.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:38 AM

The car/taxi ride from Giza to Cairo is more terrifying than any amusement park thrill ride I have ever seen - my kids loved it, but the traffic and crazy drivers make you close your eyes and pray.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Gail,<BR>next time, go out to Saqquara - the kids will enjoy that as a step up from the Giza road- lots of head on trucks on the sometimes unsealed road, interspersed with speed bumps, which your driver may not notice. But the real thrill is getting on the flyovers which are normally 2 lanes with drivers having a strong inclination to make it 3 - I think there is often a belief that the lane markings are for you to line up as a mid-point so that you drive right over rather than to left or right . You have that fun coming in from the airport. Its definitely better in an SUV as you are the one pushing most of the others out of the way.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Travelnick<BR> Thank you for your reply. Just trying to get by bearings, is Oberoi a hotel near the Sofitel Hotel? We love Indian food so will definitely check out the Moghul Restaurant.<BR>Jennifer<BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:59 PM

To Travelnick - we came to the conclusion that the lane markings on most roads in Egypt are for decorative purposes only and that there must be some sort of award given for getting the most cars side-by-side on a road designed for 2 lanes of traffic.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:04 AM

Oberoi is closest hotel to Pyramids - literally 100 metres away. Oberoi has beautiful reception areas in its old palace part - so take your camera there. Sofitel and Meridien just a little further.