OAT Ultimate Africa questions

Aug 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

OAT Ultimate Africa questions

We are taking the above trip in February 2012. We would like advise or suggestions from people who have been on this trip or intend to take it in the future. OAT suggested that we do not need vaccinations for this trip. Is this true? OAT agents are not very informed and give out wrong information all the time. This is the one thing that OAT should improve on.

Thank you.
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Yeah, the OAT's personnel in Boston aren't the best. It will be better once you get to Africa! I'd recommend going to a local travel clinic and see what they suggest; most towns or cities of any size have at least one. You can also check out the CDC's website for each country.
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM

www.mdtravelhealth.com Africa Your countries for correct info.

Usual childhood plus Hep A jab plus malaria preventive

if in risk area www.malariahotspots.co.uk

OAT has many issues unrated by BBB.org many complaints

see thread below...insurance always wise www.quotewright.com

for theft canel etc do not expect refunds from OAT...
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM

For travel to Tanzania you MUST have a Yellow Fever inoculation for entry, regardless that you're arriving from the US (even via Europe) where YF doesn't exist or could live (a long life . Rules changed a few months ago and Immigration checks they on arrival (though sometimes they don't, but you don't want to not have and they then give you the jab on site and a bill for $50). This inoc is expensive, but is good for 10/years, so not all that bad.

Otherwise, adult travelers to anywhere in the world, even if not leaving home, should be current with inocs we had as children - DPT (Tetanus... good for 10/yrs), HepA (two shots, second 6/mo-1/yr after 1st, though 1st is sufficient to protect... also good for 10/yrs), and a Polio booster (good for rest of your life).

Read the CDC site, www.cdc.gov/travel (select Kenya/Tanzania) for details, also info re Malaria meds.

Then with all info in hand, discuss with your personal doc or a Travel Clinic. Note, though that Travel Clinics will suggest you have absolutely positively everything that's ever been designed... which you don't need; maybe Thyphoid tabs in addition to above. TCs are also very expensive, so watch your wallet.

Depending on your health insurance, some of these may be covered thru your personal doc, or a reasonable price compared to TC. However, don't mention these are for travel, rather "I'd like to be current on inocs I had as a child." If you mention travel, price goes up and is often not covered.

Likewise, some insurance plans will cover all/some of the cost for your malaria meds... so ask.

Good luck!
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Sandi, the "Ultimate Africa" safari doesn't go to Tanzania or Kenya. It's in southern Africa: Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe and goes via JNB. South Africa recently dropped their requirement for travelers from Zambia needing a Yellow Fever innoculation:
http://www.doh.gov.za/show.php?id=2845 Therefore, I don't think it is a requirement for this trip.

Qwovadis, there are also a lot of positive reviews for OAT's trips, so lay off. Have you traveled with them? Did you have a bad experience? If so, share it with us. I get the impression that you're not from the US, but most of OAT's travelers are, given that it's a US company. The travelers can make up their own mind as to whether or not they want to go with them after doing their research. I've traveled with them 3 times. As I've noted before, I had problems with the Boston office, but nothing of the sort once I got on the trip. I also have friends that have done many trips with them. They have their place in the travel world for people who can't spend a lot of money.
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Here is a report for OAT Ultimate. Some of the destinations may havae changed since then.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=35085119
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Very nice itinerary! You do not have either Yellow Fever or polio risk on this route. DO get Hepatitis A, if you haven't had it; this vaccine is 98% protective. Consider Typhoid depending on how adventurous your eating habits are.

You DEFINITELY need malaria pills, and you have three options. A Travel Clinic can explain the pros and cons of each to you, which ones your insurance might cover, and other insect precautions. Contrary to Sandi's experience, our travel clinic prides itself on NOT giving you things don't NEED -- not all of us are trying to run up your bill.
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:29 AM

BuntyTucson - Sorry, didn't look up the details on the Ultimate Africa safari... me bad!

skibumette - while your travel clinic might not recommend more inocs/meds than necessary, many do. This especially when you see posters mention their TC costs would amount to $2,000 for a couple. To me that's too much! Something those using a TC should be aware, do research beforehand, ask questions.
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Sandi - yes, we have a couple of TCs in our area that will try to see how many things they can give you. I'm not sure our clinic could hit the $1000/person mark, unless we were giving Rabies or Japanese Encephalitis, which very few people need. Your point is well taken: study up beforehand and ask questions.

For anyone going to a Travel Clinic: PLEASE take records of your previous shots (it can be just a list of dates and shots, not even official records) + your itinerary with you. Then we're not trying to GUESS what you need or suggesting something you've already had.