OAT freebie duffel

Sep 7th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

OAT freebie duffel

I'm taking the OAT Utimate Africa trip in October and OAT just sent a free duffel bag. Has anyone actually used one of these duffels on the trip? They are extremely light weight so I was wondering if it would hold up after 3 weeks in Africa. Would be nice if I could use it and save some money on a new one.
Sep 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM

If its the same quality as the one I received in 2005 - used it - loved it and have used it again and again. I took the reinforcing board out of the bottom - every ounce counts when you pack like I do.
Sep 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM

My sister used hers and loved it. On a recent trip to Tanzania, I saw an OAT group and everyone was using them. If you decide not to, you should have something similar. I always use my Rick Steves Back Door bag because I can carry it as a backpack. Once you get to Africa, though, you won't be carrying your bag around.
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Hi, We just got our free bags for trip we are going in Nov.on the same trip. The bag seems ok, we were going to use wheeled bags, we just bought but they was to heavy.We can take only 26lbs .The bags should be good.The trip sounds realy great.
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Though, it's nice when your bag stands out from the rest. It's great when you can say...mine's the bright yellow bag.
Sep 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM

We're leaving on OAT's Ultimate Africa this coming Wednesday. Yes. I'm going to use the ultra light duffle provided. As Sea4burkes says, when we're dealing with a 26 pound weight limit, every ounce counts.
One thing, though. We're flying BA to London and then connecting, still with BA, to Johannesburg. Their one carry-on allowance means just that. You have to combine everything into one carry-on, purse included, at least until you get into the cabin, and then you can get out your purse and whatever reading material, etc. you wish to use on the flight. Because I don't want to deal with having nothing to fall back on in case my checked in OAT duffle is lost, as has seemed to be the case with many on BA flights lately, I got the most pared down gym bag I could find at Target. Weighs less than a pound into which I will put two changes of clothing in addition to the meds and other things I usually put on my carry-on, keeping in mind that there is still a 26 pound limit for Oat--all luggage/carry-on combined because of the small planes which will take us from camp to camp. When we arrive in Johannesburg, at least I'll have whatever I need to tide me over in case my checked OAT bag doesn't arrive with me. If the OAT bag DOES get there when I do, then I'll just transfer the clothing from my gym bag, along with the folded up gym bag, to the OAT bag.
Wow. 26 pounds is such a small weight allowance.
We're told, though, that the lodges will do laundry with the exception of underware, so we've pared down what we're packing. I'm sure, in any case, that everything will be wonderful.
What great things to look forward to! Only a few more days.
Sep 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll use the OAT bag provided and add some sort of personal touch to make it identifiable.Yes, 26lbs is not much for the combined weight but I think I can do it. I'll be taking a backpack as my one carry-on with a very small purse that will fit inside, camera, meds, and two changes of clothes. Should be fine even if the duffel never makes it to South Africa.
Sep 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM

sea4burkes We are also doing the Ultimate Safari, Nov 8th, by chance is this the one you will be on? We are getting very excited and I am constantly checking Fodors for all the great info.
Sep 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Bernieman, We are going Nov.1 Looking forward to trip. People say Africa is the best.can hardly wait to see Africa. We too check Fordors.We have used OAT before and were happy with them.
Sep 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM

i have a friend leaving on an OAT safari this week to Kenya and Tanzania and i emailed her this thread. this was her reply
"Just read the website link that you sent me.
Luckily we get to have 44 pounds as we don't do any
interior flying. We are planning to use the duffle
bags OAT sent us and I'm lettering our first names on
them with fabric paint. Also using bright luggage
straps to encircle them for identification purposes
and to secure the contents if the zipper breaks. Monty
used his bag this summer and the zipper broke! I did a
trial run and the bag full only weighs 20 pounds or
so. OAT actually sent us 3 duffles and I'm going to
use all three, putting jackets etc. in the smaller
one. As long as our total weight is okay I don't think
it will be a problem. "