Rolling bag or Duffel?

Dec 13th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Rolling bag or Duffel?

11 days until we leave for our trip to Kenya and Tanzania!

We're on a private safari, staying mostly @ the Serena lodges and one night in a tented camp. We're only packing 2-3 days worth of clothing, because we want to stick with carry-on and need to leave room for the extra bug repellent

In addition to our camera gear (which has it's own small Lowe Pro rolling bag) and a backpack, for our clothing should we
1) take two small (22-inch) rolling bags (wheelies) or
2) take two small duffel bags
?

Rolling bags would obviously be better for the airport transfers, but what about once we're there - I guess I envisioned the rolling bags being disobedient on gravel/dirt paths. Any opinions?
Dec 13th, 2005, 04:45 PM

On all my safaris, my case was brought to my room or tent. Even if the bag had wheels, they would usually just carry it. With your other two bags, it may easier for you to use the rolling bags. Be aware, though, that most international flights only allow one carryon bag and MAYBE a small second bag. I don't think they allow three bags as carry-ons.

ShayTay
Dec 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM

We had five in our group when we went to east Africa. Four brought bags with wheels and I brought one without. I put my bag on top of my husband's or daughters' and we took turns pulling it. The other carried camera equipment. You may want to take one of each. Although there were very few times we were responsible for our own luggage, we were happy we had the rolling bags when we were. Now that we're home, I prefer the rolling duffels. They're so nice for short trips.
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:45 PM

What about room for souvenirs???? There are so many great things to buy.

We also stayed at the Serena lodges and had our laundry done twice = quite inexpensive. We had bug repellent, but didn't use it as much as I thought we would. We did, however, have a big stock of medicines (over the counter and Rx).
Dec 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM

If you are on a six-passenger aircraft, you may want the soft duffel or a roll-on duffel. The tiny compartment underneath the plane doesn't digest anything with a frame on more than one side or a bag packed over 2/3 full.
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:08 AM
sandi

If you're not doing any internal flights, then the 22" rollie is fine. If flights, then go with the duffle as they push the bags in the small area below the plan.

And, as mentioned above, check with your Int'l carrier exactly what you can carry on-board if you're flying coach.

Once in-country you won't have to carry or wheel anything to/from your vehicles, rooms, tents, etc.

Unless you plan to buy one of those 3+ft. giraffes, most souvenirs can easily fit between clothing in your main bag - or there is the "extra" folding bag that'll fit into your main bag on your way to Africa, but counts as another bag on your return.

Dec 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - we do have a small plane for the flight from the Serengeti to Arusha so we're each going to take a small duffel for clothes, and then the camera bag and a backpack. According to American and British Airways, the camera and backpack count as "personal items" so those four bags for two people will be fine.

For souvenirs we decided to pack another duffel that folds up into a very small nylon envelope. We don't care about checking the clothing duffels on the way back. If they get lost on the way back it's not as big of a deal because I doubt we'll need our dirty safari clothing in Chicago

Search this Thread