Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Northern Namibia, Botswana, Kruger -- similar or different?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning our first (and, probably, our only) trip tp Africa for July next year. We will have 3 to 4 weeks available for this. We want to spend some time in Namibia to enjoy the contrasts that that country seems to offer, and also to have ample opportunity for game-viewing. A visit to Victoria Falls somewhere along the line would be preferred too.
We are still at the tossing-ideas-around stage, but wonder if 10-12 days in Namibia, 4-5 days in Botswana (Okavango Delta?), and a few days in Kruger NP would serve our purposes. I understand that, because of the distances involved, some fly-ins will be required, particularly in Namibia.
From the reading that I have done, it appears that Kruger NP, the Okavango Delta and Northern Namibia all offer different game-viewing opportunities and that each is a worthy scenic destination in its own right, but it may be that, in reality, they are all fairly similar and we would be hopping from one place to another for just the same sort of experience. Would we be better to (say) leave out the Kruger bit and just utilise our time in Namibia and Botswana? If visiting all three places is recommended, is there a preferred order for doing this, or is that not important?
Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I realise that this query is rather general in its nature, but I am somewhat confused at present as to how broad or narrow our focus should be, and I am suffering from GBH (Guide Book Hyperbole)!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM

GBH Guide Book Hyperbole

ROFLMAO, how true

regards - tom
ps - but sorry, that doesn't help you much does it
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Kiwi rob:

The guidebooks are quite correct that these three areas offer stunningly different environments. Kruger, by far, is the least interesting from a purely scenic perspective, but the lodges in the neighboring Sabi Sand area do offer virtually guaranteed game viewing of the type that might be best for a first-time visitor. Personally, I would skip Kruger and focus on Namibia and Botswana. These are both tremendously scenic countries, and well worth the effort to get there. I especially enjoyed Okonjima (in Namibia) for its cheetah population, and Duba Plains (in Botswana) for its prides of buffalo-hunting lions. Good luck with your journey!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Three countries in three weeks is not unreasonable. But have not been to Namibia. (BTW, for flying time reference, we live in USA, California).

In 2005 we went first to Zambia (Nsefu Camp), then to Botswana (Khwai River Lodge) then to South Africa (MalaMala), four nights at each camp. Plus an overnight for Victoria Falls.

In 2006 we started in Kruger (3 nights) then again MalaMala 4 nights , then to Zambia again 5 nights, then to Kenya (Little Governors Camp 5 nights). Three countries, started at Joburg South Africa, then Zambia, then Kenya (leaving Nairobi).

And FWIW, I like to stay at least four nights in each safari camp. Some photos at - http://tomgraham.smugmug.com/

regards - tom
ps - only 4 days until flight out of LAX to JNB and Kings Camp, Timbavati, South Africa WAAAHOOOO

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that advice. It is much appreciated.

I enjoyed your photos, Tom. I seem to detect an element of (justifiable) eager anticipation about your imminent departure on your next trip. I hope it all goes according to plan. I look forward to reading your trip report and seeing the photos.
Safe and happy travelling.
Rob.