Lodging help???

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging help???

We are trying to decide between staying at the Serena Lodges or the Wildlife Lodges, within the Serengetti, Crater, and Lake Manyara. Does anyone know the price differences and if they very different in luxury? thanks for any help you can give
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM

Hi,

I have stayed at all 3 Serena lodges you mention and would recommend them. I don't know the Wildlife Lodges at all, sorry.

It might be an idea to ask your operator to provide 2 quotes so that you can see the overall price difference between the Serenas and Wildlife Lodges.

Two other options are to investigate Kirurumu Tented Camp at Lake Manyara, I stayed there in June and would recommend the property - I gather that its less expensive than the Manyara Serena. Similarly, I think the Ngorongoro Sopa is slightly less expensive than the Serena, it has been recently refurbished and serves quality food.

Happy planning,

Pol.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:23 AM

The wildlife Lodges are reasonably priced compared to the Serena's but luxury wise, Serena's are better in terms of facilities and services.

Last year the wildlife lodges were renovating most of their lodges and this was a bit disturbing to the guests. Not sure whether they are done or not.

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:42 AM

The Wildlife properties was original government props, so rather simple. They have or are still in process of being refurbished to bring them up to similar standards as Sopa or Serena, but sill the lowest priced of the three.

Wildlife, however, do have some of the best positioning, having had first choice before the others even thought to build.

If you want to compare prices, ask for quote offering both options - Serena or Wildlife, if budget is the issue.

The suggestion to consider Kirurumu Camp at Manyara is a good one, less expensive than Serena, but a "canvas" experience. In the Serengeti, the Wildlife property is up north at Lobo, so unless you're visiting in Oct, I'd suggest Serena in the Central area which has resident most of the year.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Pre-renovaton, Wildlife Lodges were fine. Serena were fancier. Interesting reason for their postions, Sandi. At the crater I like Sopa for its own access road. Sopa is between Wildlife and Serena in luxury.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Looks like most agree that Serena is nicer. We were not quoted much of a price difference.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM
aby

hi ksteuer
haven't been to Wildlife recently, but about Food - no chance the food equals Serena. (BTW i don't see the Serena rooms are any better than Sopa!)

Sandi
Seronera no longer belongs to Wildlife ??

Seronera is in a much better location (reason given by Sandi) than either Serena or Sopa, making game drives in Serengeti more efficient (most of the year
Serena and Sopa guests usually drive over to Seronera for wildlife viewing (more open plains game, for Hippo & especially Leopard sightings. Seronera area is one of the best areas for spotting that spotted one Madoadoa ya juu)

my personal choice would be:
Seronera in Serengeti
(possible addtional night/s in Lobo which i admire the Kopje=inselberg setting)
Sopa in Ngorongoro
i'll have better food at home, but better location at the safari

enjoy it

aby