Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

what is your favorite lodging in tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking about, obsessively reading these posts, and trying to figure out the best way for me to go on safari in Tanzania. I'm hoping to go in February, 2009, but don't know if I can get it all sorted through by then. I might be too late already. (I'm a first-timer, obviously!) Anyway, I thought one way of getting more clarity about where I want to stay would be to ask you all what is your favorite lodging in all of Tanzania and why. Pictures would be great, too! My interests are in being as close to nature as possible, without having to pitch my own tent or sleep on the ground. So, if you have some advice to throw in about how to go on safari but not be part of a crowd, I'd love to hear that as well!

Thanks so much!

c_dot
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM

With the economy as it is, you might be in luck planning this late for Feb in Tanzania.

In Feb, you want to be in the Southern part of the Serengeti, especially with your goal of being close to wildlife.

So I'd suggest Ndutu if there are still beds. I have not been there so it cannot be my favorite, but it is where I would stay in Feb.

Otherwise in Feb in the Serengeti, I'd stay in a mobile camp. You would not be pitching anything or sleeping on the ground. In fact most mobiles are so nice and comfortable with more personalized serive that they are more expensive than a lodge like Ndutu. I have not stayed in a Serengeti mobile so that cannot be my favorite either.

If you also go to Ngorongoro Crater, which is likely, I preferred Sopa Lodge. I did stay there and of the 2 places I stayed on trips to the crater it is my favorite. Though Serena is supposed to be nicer. I liked the tree hyrax around Sopa and the troop of Blue Monkeys that made weekly visits and that I was lucky to see. We saw eles and buffalo from our room. The views of the crater were outstanding. The private access road was a big advantage. I was there in the dry season, but in Feb. when it is wetter, I think a private road would be more important.

Not be part of the crowd--have a private vehicle, but of course that costs more. Then you can literally drive away from them or stay out all day with a boxed lunch when others are back eating.

Also take a breakfast box into the crater and get there when the park opens. I think it was about 6:00 am when I was there in the month of July. Don't know in Feb.

Enjoy sightings that don't draw a crowd, such as interesting birds, monkeys, or hoofed species. When a crowd does gather around something, back off and wait it out until the bulk leaves to check off something else. Then you can observe the critter unobstructed.

How many days and what dates?
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM

I enjoyed my stay at Kirurumu Tented Camp overlooking Lake Manyara and also Tarangire Safari Lodge (a return visit) in Tarangire NP. These are both reasonably priced tented camps.

The Safari Lodge is unfenced and there are sometimes wildlife visitors around the tents. I saw warthogs and dik-diks around the terrace when I was writing postcards during my stay in June this year.

Lynn has given good advice regarding the Ngorongoro Sopa. Unfortunately we didn't see any wildlife as we arrived at dusk and departed at dawn for an early start in the Crater. The rooms had been refurbished this year, and were really warm. The food was very good and the private access road to the Crater allows for an early start. I've stayed at both the Sopa and Serena at the Crater and would return to the Sopa because of the access road.

Happy planning,

Pol

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Old Mdonya River Camp in Ruaha was great.. A simple camps which focused on nature and wildlife. The staff was great and Ruaha is just pure magic. Only one other car on 5 days of gamedriving. You can see photos on www.adventurecamps.co.tz
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
aby

Hi c_dot

Lynn has given you some good advice;
chances are there's no room, even for a dwarf mongoose, in Ndutu Lodge for February. "Mobile camp" is an option
and i'd like to add 'luxury camping' - some companies bring all the gear and camp at "strategic" points in the parks. no need for specific camp recommendations
That is if you wanna go on February = calving season

another tip is:
make LyndaS'
<font color="red"><i>&quot;NEW</i></font> EAST AFRICA Trip Report Index&quot; your bible for the near future
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p+Report+Index

aby

P.S. if you go to Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire, and maybe Manyara and Arusha N.P. - IMHO accommodation is less than 10% of the experience
maybe someone will claim it to be 20% (will anybody are to say more?)
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
aby

at P.S. i meant to write:
(will anybody <b>d</b>are to say more?)

location is more important though
(esp. in Feb at the Serengeti)
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses! This is such a difficult trip to plan, I guess because it is so expensive that I really want to make sure I'm not regretting the choices made. It seems that the Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire, and Manyara parks are good for a February visit, so that's what I'm looking at doing. I'd like to stay a few days at each so that I'm not packing up and moving constantly. While my dreams of Africa have to do with seeing wildlife, they also include just hanging out in nature, near my tent. I don't really want to be going to sleep in what feels like a hotel at night. The language of safaris is a little confusing for me -- I can't really tell the difference between a &quot;tented camp&quot; and a &quot;mobile camp&quot; and a &quot;luxury camp.&quot; For all I can tell they are all the same thing. I'm thinking a &quot;lodge&quot; is more like a hotel??? I sort of think at this point I need to just pick a company and start making arrangements with them. I like the looks of Kiliwarriors and Africa Travel Resource. Does anyone who has travelled solo have a recommendation for how to do this? I feel like I've gotten rather discouraging messages back from some companies -- primarily about the additional costs with single supplements. Makes me feel like they don't want to deal with me since I'm solo. And I'm also concerned about hidden charges. Its difficult to plan going it alone, not that I usually mind that at all, but I don't want to have to concern myself with potentially being ripped off while I'm there. By the way, someone asked about specific travel dates -- I'm flexible. I can go for up to two weeks (thats how long I have for vacation from work) but it can be anywhere from late January to the end of March. I think I'll get tired of being away after 8 to 10 days, so I don't want a two week safari (can't afford it anyway) with travel time tacked on.

Thanks again everyone for your help! Please keep the advice coming!!

C.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Tented camps can vary from basic to luxury although some would say that even the basic camps are pretty luxurious as they generally all have ensuite bathrooms, real beds, etc. It really bears little resemblance to real camping.

Lodges are usually solid structures which may have rooms in a block or in individual buildings.

But the terms are sometimes used interchangeably and some are places are a combination of both. For example, Tarangire Safari Lodge has both bungalow type rooms as well as tents.

Camps can be permanent (meaning it's permanently located and does not move), seasonal or mobile. Seasonal camps are set up for certain periods of time in one area and move/shut down/re-open from time to time. Mobile camps move more frequently than seasonal camps and may be set up/taken down for just one party. Generally, the reason for relocation is to try to follow the migration.

You could also look into semi-lux camping. This is where your operator sets up on a private (special) campsite. Equipment varies depending on the operator but generally this includes a dome sleeping tent with cots, shower and toilet tent(s) (some operators do provide ensuite bathrooms in the semi-lux category), maybe a dining tent or perhaps just dining under the stars. Other than your driver/guide, you'd have a cook along. You would not be pitching your own tent, cooking or doing camp chores.

You have lots of options. You could even combine all or some of the above if you wish. That said, it's true that the cost is going to be much higher if you're a solo traveler and planning to do this as a private safari. Joining a group is a possibility but it's not always finding a group that's going where you want to go.

Good luck with your planning!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM

(oops, it posted too soon)

In the meantime I see Patty has provided much of the info you requested.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Actually, none of my response posted.

I agreed with Aby that for someone who is really interested in the wildlife and nature, the accommodation itself is 10%, 20% tops of the experience.

Re solo and SS--Yeah, it is a lot more expensive going alone, which is what I almost always do. If you think you are being discouraged only by the pricing that comes back, don't be. If you are getting other messages that discourage your business as a solo, then you may want to look elsewhere.

You could join a group where even paying a single supplement is far less than booking the whole vehicle. That strategy could also help with availability because those spots are held in advance.

Hidden charges are not a common problem when using a reliable operator such as those you mentioned. The extra charges usually include things like laundry if it is not a complimentary service at your lodgings, tips, beverages (sometimes even bottled water so check), souvenirs-obviously, village visits that were not part of the original itinerary.

8-10 days is fine and you are right about a longer time getting more expensive.

Start sending out some requests and then you'll have a better idea on what's available and pricing.

Good luck
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for defining the different types of camps, Patty. I had no idea this would be so hard. I thought I wanted to go with a group, but have grown increasingly concerned that it would not be the experience I'm looking for. But then the private safari appears out of my reach financially.

Lynn, I looked up Ndutu and they are indeed all booked. Thanks for the info on Sopa in Ngoro. I had thought it didn't look as nice as Serena, and this is exactly why I'm asking for people's experiences! Sounds like Sopa is the way to go there.

I am waffling on whether I should delay this trip until I can plan better. I thought 4 months ahead was enough time, but it doesn't seem to be. Truth is, I have flexibility with travel dates. I wanted to take a nice vacation in February, because thats about when I usually need one! But I could really go anytime. I also picked TZ rather randomly. Maybe I should do something entirely different.

Argh!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Don't give up on Tanzania, yet! Another possibility is Overseas Adventure Travel (www.oattravel.com). They have a trip to Tanzania called &quot;Safari Serengeti&quot; and have space available in February. Also, they are currently waiving the single supplement. They use Kibo Guides as their outfitter and they are good; I've used them several times in the past, including my trip in September. They stay in a mix of lodges and camps owned by their sister company, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps, including a private mobile tented camp that will be set up in the southern Serengeti in February. Right now, the price for the trip, depending on where you're flying from, is in the low $4000 range, INCLUDING airfare.

By the way, I know of a single female traveler going on this OAT trip January 7 -24; she's looking for a roommate, if you'd be interested. You can e-mail me for her e-mail address at DIVEDIVE99 at aol dot com.

Sharon
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM

If wanting to know something about a solo woman travelling, do a search on this board for &quot;star55&quot; (enter in the search box above without the quotes) - her trip report, for her visits to Tanzania twice in early '08, believe first in January and again in March.

There is a single supplement, and total costs depend on the level of accommodations.

Not to dissuade you though, space is already limited for February; better possibilities early Jan or from mid-Mar. If considering ATR, just know that they tend to push their own properties, which might not be to your liking.

OAT gets good reviews, especially for group safaris, small number of participants (avg age from 45-up) and includes intl air, if you can work with their scheduled departure and lodging/camps of their choice.

So, you have choices. But do get moving on this.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM

You could see if you can waitlist at Ndutu. Might be some cancellations when payments are due if you can stand waiting.

<i>I also picked TZ rather randomly. Maybe I should do something entirely different.</i>

As in a different country in Africa or would you consider something as different as Antartica? Just trying to get a sense of what you mean. I mentioned that because I keep seeing offers on Antartica lately, none of which I can take advantage of because I already have too many other trips planned!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Anybody else want to weigh in on OAT? Their trips do look very reasonably priced. I'm just scared of the group idea, but don't really know how else to do this.

Antarctica sounds amazing, doesn't it?! But I'm a warm-weather girl myself...
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Here's a trip report from the OAT Tanzania trip http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34950392

One from the Kenya/Tanzania trip http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34897294

Another Tanzania one http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34648151

Finally, while the reports from those who have gone on OAT trips have been overwhelmingly positive, there have been several posts in the past regarding customer service issues in dealing with their US office as well as cancellations due to over/under-booking http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35087243

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I hate to shift gears since February is an amazing time to be in Tanzania, but based on all of your circumstances I'd point out that at that time of year you could go to Botswana for around between $300-$350 per night including flights between camps and there is no single supplement and everything is included so you pay nothing extra. You would be in small remote camps surrounded by nature, no hotelish loding at all. You would share a vehicle with others in camp so that is a difference but at each camp your vehicle mates would be different. It is the green season so its possible to get some rain but generally it does not interfere and its a time of year that I love. This type of trip would be simple for a single traveler.

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

PredatorBiologist, can you tell me more? I'm not locked into TZ.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM

c_dot: there are two different green season specials, the Kalahari Summer Special and the 5 Rivers special that include many excellent lodges and you can easily combine lodges from each special. The cmaps I like best in the specials are Mapula Lodge, Kwara Camp, Lebala Camp, and in the Kalahari desert Deception Valley Lodge and Grassland Bushman Lodge. There are quite a few other lodges in the those specials as well that are good but I think those first three are best for gameviewing and I like the contrast of the desert. For the length of stay you are talking about you would probably want to select 3 camps with 3 nights each, possibly a 4th night at one or two if you have time and you probably will need one night on arrival in Johannesburg if you are flying from the USA.

You would fly from one camp to the next where a guide picks you up and you will be with that guide for the length of your stay. In Botswana you generally do about a 4 hour game drive in the morning, have brunch and a few hours to relax in camp during the middle of the day and then head out for another 4 hour afternoon/night game drive. Camps are open with wildlife wandering through so you can have some good sightings right from camp too. You fly to your next camp during the middle of the day so you do not miss any game drives. Some camps offer walks, mokoro (dugout canoe poled like a gondola), and motor boating (Kwara Camp) so you can work in some variety. At the lodges in the Kalahari you can have a cultural experience with the bushmen and at Grassland Bushman lodge they have horseback riding so you can plan quite a diverse trip. Each of the camps are in private concession areas so there are generally only 3 vehicles or so out in huge areas so you get exclusive wildlife viewing without ever having 12 vehicles surrounding an animal as often happens in northern Tanzania. You will not see thousands of individual animals as you do with the migration in Tanzania but you can see roughly the same amount of species set in magnificent wilderness areas.

To me Botswana and Tanzania are both must visits, its just a matter of when you work in what and avoiding the single supplement can be a big help.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Predator, Thanks!! The idea of less people, &quot;good sightings right from camp&quot;, &quot;exclusive wildlife viewing&quot;, and &quot;magnificent wilderness areas&quot; is very appealing! Can you tell me who is offering these specials you mentioned? Of course, its hard to give up the idea of seeing thousands of animals migrating...

Patty, Thanks for the links and all the great info.

Atravelynn, Thanks also for all the info, reassurance, and encouragement. Good to hear from a fellow solo-traveller. I'm glad to hear that my allotted time sounds ok, and very glad to hear that the &quot;hidden costs&quot; thing is not should not be a worry. (I can cross one worry off the list!)

I feel like all I do lately is read posts on this forum and search the internet for info on safaris. Its making me a little crazy. Does everyone have so much trouble deciding what to do??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -