Search

North Luangwa - Africa's Newest Big Five Destination

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Luangwa - Africa's Newest Big Five Destination

http://www.robinpopesafaris.net/itsmonday/content/

Things are really looking up for North Luangwa. Between Kafue and North Luangwa, there is quite a trip shaping up that I must do soon.

I am just so pleased to see all of the positive developments in Zambia recently...from the rhinos mentioned in the newsletter above to Wilderness' expansion into South Luangwa, to more and more people discovering South Luangwa and Lower Zambezi, etc.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Rocco......

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM

I hope Zambia follows the Botswana model over the East Africa model. (Not that I don't like Kenya and Tanzania, but less development is better in my opinion.)
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
santharamhari

I concur with Lynn.....i really want to get to Kafue before a whole bunch of operators start building their camps/lodges. Seems more remote at the moment.......

For the next month, i will be very busy at work......jeez, i hate not being able to spend lots of safari planning time!!!

Hari

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM

I am really considering a return trip to Zambia in 2007 -- Kafue, North Luangwa and Kasanka (to see the bats). I am also considering Gabon (nice article in Spring Travel Africa), but with the black rhinos, I may lean to Zambia. I'd also like to try to see the shoebills, which I think are around Kasanka.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
santharamhari

thit_cho,

Have you been to Kafue before?

Hari

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thit Cho,

Scheduling may prove difficult for such an itinerary. North Luangwa camps close at the end of October, Kafue camps close end of October/early November and fruit bat migration usually occurrs mid November to late December.

However, even if you did go to North Luangwa in late October, followed by Kafue and stuck around long enough to catch the fruit bat migration, I would imagine that the heat may prove pretty miserable for walking safaris in late October North Luangwa.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Correction:

In my original post I wrote about Wilderness' expansion into South Luangwa...while this is definitely a possibility, what I meant to say was their expansion into KAFUE NP (not South Luangwa).

Just another thought about Zambia...I do think it offers the luxury of South African lodges with the remoteness (nearly) of Botswana camps. It is just such a beautiful place that I doubt I will be able to stay away for too long.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

What's an ideal split for a week in South Luangwa? LRL and puku ridge? or LRL and Kaingo? or Puku and Kaingo? or Tena Tena and Puku?

Obviously, with Kafue......i would probably stick to a week in the Busanga plains area, which is probably more productive.

Hari

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Hari,

From a strict gameviewing perspective, the best combination would be a split between Kaingo & Puku Ridge.

However, for a nice mix of luxury and great gameviewing, I would go with a split between Luangwa River Lodge and Puku Ridge.

Also, I would save the northern camps of Kaingo/Tafika/Tena Tena until at least August, as my experience has been that there is not much happening in June. However, even by June, there is a lot happening in the area by Puku Ridge.

For the northern camps, although quite honestly it is not even in my best interest$ to do so, Kaingo would get my vote for its hippo hide, opportunity to sleep outdoors in the elephant hide, great guiding and overall great hosting.

If microlighting is something you always wanted to try on safari, the only place I am aware of (anywhere in Africa) that offers this would be Tafika and although I have not yet stayed, it is reportedly an excellent camp, especially in high season.

However, if you can swing it, I do think an excellent combination would be Kaingo (3), Luangwa River Lodge (3), Puku Ridge (3).

The sad thing is that there are so many great camps in South Luangwa that I am sure are excellent (Nkwali, Tena Tena, Kapani, Kapamba) but they don't even make my list of top three. Yes, it may be argued that I have not stayed at these camps, but it may also be argued that I have not been as motivated to stay at these camps as the others.

Zambia, for anyone looking for a family safari option, there are some incredible choices in Zambia, from Chuma House in Victoria Falls (www.starofafrica.com) to Chongwe House in Lower Zambezi (www.robinpopesafaris.net OR www.chongwe-river.com) to Luangwa House in South Luangwa (www.robinpopesafaris.net). The newest option, however, hot off the presses is a beautiful two bedroomed chalet at Kasaka River Lodge named the Hippo Pod. Although it is not on their website yet, I do have photos of this to share.

However, the best option, for the discerning traveler, in Lower Zambezi remains Chiawa Camp.

Sorry to get carried away, but, for me, Zambia remains to be the safari destination that really gets my blood flowing!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:15 PM
santharamhari

Thanks for the info, Rocco......

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Thanks, Rocco. The park closing dates raise scheduling issues -- my first priority would be the bat migration and shoebills in Kasanka, followed by Kafue, then North Luangwa. Kasanka is going to be tough!

Hari, of the Zambian parks, I have only been to South Luangwa (but that was back in August 2001, even before Rocco touched down in Zambia).

Michael
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM
santharamhari

Thit_cho,

Hi! thanks........yes, Kafue seems very intriguing to me.

Also, although not zambia....would like to do a mobile safari thru the Kalahari some day!!!

Hari

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Hari, I will be in the Kalahari in early July when I visit Kgalagadi (the South Africa section of the Kalahari).
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Hari,

Thit Cho is actually responsible for first directing me to visit Zambia as a good alternative to a return trip to South Africa.

My first visit to Southern Africa was back in March 2002 to Singita, Matetsi Water Lodge (Zimbabwe) and Cape Town. However, that was when the Rand was at 11.5 to $1. By the following year the dollar had declined by about 35% making South Africa a very expensive endeavour, so after Thit Cho's advice, I spent 5 nights at Kafunta River Lodge & Kafunta Island Bush Camp before returning to South Africa for Vuyatela in the Sabi Sand and more Cape Town.

I have been hooked ever since!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
santharamhari

Hi Rocco/thit_cho,

Didnt realize u both were online right now.....

Anyways, will look forward to your trip report from the Kalahari.

Rocco, i agree it's addictive.....right now i have the cricket game on tv, but i'm paying more attention to these boards......

Hari

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Hari,

I know the feeling...I have been in 20,000 seat arenas, covering major fights (writing for a major boxing website) but instead of focusing on the events around me, I have been online on the Fodors forum!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
santharamhari

Haha, that's what i'd do also.........

Hari