No going back

Aug 18th, 2005, 05:41 AM
mv
Original Poster

No going back

Saw a rerun last night on BBC prime called "no going back". This particular one was about "Barry, Tara and Sean Vandermaas", the owners/founders of Luangwa River Lodge. The program told about giving up city life and the struggles of putting up a new lodge.
Very interesting and can be recommended if it reappears
Aug 18th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Wish I could have seen this. While I do get the BBC on my cable outlet, I don't know if there is only one BBC station and if programming is the same in the USA as in the UK.

I will be at Luangwa River Lodge in exactly three weeks, after spending my first six nights in the Lower Zambezi. It definitely seems to be an excellent lodge, so I do have high expectations, as I do with each Kasaka River Lodge, Chongwe River Camp, Puku Ridge, the Twelve Apostles Hotel and Simbambili---sorry, but putting them all down in writing just makes it all so much more realistic and I can hardly believe that in 12 days I will be departing for Zambia again!!!
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:46 PM
sandi

>>"Barry, Tara and Sean Vandermaas", the owners/founders of Luangwa River Lodge. The program told about giving up city life and the struggles of putting up a new lodge.<<

Sounds like the African version of Peter Mayle's "A Year in Provence."

Aug 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM

We get the show on our LifeStyle payTV channel in Australia. Each episode folows a Pommie (British) couple who have decided to leave the UK and start up a business in another country. They are mainly going to the Continent but I saw the Luangwa one last month.
Another couple were setting up a B&B in the Austrian Alps, another a guest house cum Art school in France. A fourth couple bought an Olive Grove in Italy.

The common themes are that they generally totally under budgeted for the construction costs, under estimated the local red tape for approvals etc. and found it difficult managing the local contractors.

Preconceived ideas that this lifestyle change would enable them to slow down once they left the rat race quickly disappeared. They were absolutely exhausted and highly stressed. It would be good if the programme revisited tham in 12 -18 months once the businesses were fully set up.

The Couple who bought the French villa -after discovering that their GBP 50,000 budget for renovations had been soaked up by undetected problems with building (the sewerage poured into a local ravine), then found out that their building was totally illegal and may have be pulled down.

We sometimes toy with the idea of opening an upmarket B&B but the show is a major deterrent.

Search this Thread