Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

No.1 Ladies Detectives Agency (follow-up)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning's Sunday NY Times, Arts & Leisure section - with the same questions we all posed a few months back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/mo...amp;ref=movies

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:14 AM

Great article -- thanks!

(...and now to the Puzzle.)
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:50 AM

very interesting - thank you!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM

And the supplemental magazine (Travel Fall 2007) has an interesting article on Gabon and Gambia (plus Granada, Nicaragua, where I will visit next March).
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:59 AM

Hi Michael,

Grenada in the caribbean?

Hari
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM

I think the views expressed about American viewers being addicted to action and leads who are easy on the eyes are refuted by Monk, Columbo, and Murder She Wrote. We'll see if what works on TV also works in the movies.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:06 AM

This is fantastic.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM

Hari, Granada (all As) in Nicaragua.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM

Ok. Sounds like a super trip!
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM

I can add one big tid bit. The filming production was based at Delta Camp (for the major players) and Oddballs for the extended crew during September and reportedly it went very well with the work finished early and the crew taking time to just enjoy. This is a camp that hasn't been mentioned here very often but I will be there in November. It's unique in that there are no gamedrives, each tent has their own guide who takes you via his mokoro to islands for game walking, including Chief's Island which is very close by.

tuckeg: I agree with what you are saying. While this film may lack the action elements to be a blockbuster I think a clever film that is original and has some good humor elements could be successful on the big screen. It would be refreshing to have a major Africa-set release that is a positive movie. I hope this film does very well in which ever medium it comes in.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM

Tuck and Pred, as much as we would like to see this on the big screen, I fear the director is right. It is unlikely they will get a theatrical release unless it is just to qualify for awards. The point he made about the business having changed from The English Patient is key. That was a big-selling book that also had a sexy romance with two gorgeous name stars. Yet he says he could not get it made today. So imagine his battle trying to get a studio to release this smaller story, all set in Africa, without name stars.

Even though there is a large readership for the No. 1 series, and I am one, the majority of those readers are not big moviegoers in terms of research. The issue is that this film is being made without distribution in place. They took an unusual step by having Botswana help finance production. So that means they have to shop it to the studios for a distribution deal and no one has jumped at it yet. The one film title they are probably throwing out as a model when in discussions with studios is Joy Luck Club. But that too, was years ago, and the business has changed.

Maybe it will have a short theatrical run to qualify, but it may well land on someplace like HBO. With such a sensitive director, I anticipate it being wonderful. I can't wait.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

While big action movies do make money, not everyone fits into that category of movie goer... i.e., 20-something male.

When we initially discussed this, most felt a 2/hr movie would be limiting to the stories in these 7 books; a PBS-type mini-series would provide a better/different audience. Hey, when they got hold of "A Year In Provence" a single book, this wound up as a 4-part mini-series on PBS or A&E.

Besides, even with filming in Botswana, doubt this will be a multi-million dollar (a la Tom Cruise) film to produce and we know how many indy films with small distribution have surprised the heck out of the powers that be! "Life is Beautiful" was a small production and won an Oscar (for the film? but definitely the male lead).

Guess, we'll just have to see what they do with distribution. Maybe as mentioned, a 2/hr "taster" film and then a continuing mini-series. I'll (and lots of people I know who are/become fans of Precious) take it whatever they decide, as long as they're true to the story.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM

Sandi, yes, lovely film, also won best Foreign Language Film and Music score Oscars. Because this Italian production centered around the Holocaust, they were able to get funding. And Italy is quite unhappy that in the last nine years they have not been able to duplicate this unusual success. It bears little in common with No 1.

While not every moviegoer fits into the 20-something male category, that is what the industry revolves around today - sorry (don't shoot the messenger). There's also a consideration for tweeners and family-friendly films like the upcoming Disney movie. But the small art film is generally reserved for awards more than revenue (the rare monster success is a tiny percent of the majority of art/indie films made) and quite a hard sell in terms of theatre screens today. PBS or A&E would be a good fit for this series.

The real question is how much weight did the star have to gain? She was just a Dreamgirl.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Clem -

Jill Scott who will play Precious did have to gain weight (believe article said 30/lbs). Noni who will be playing Grace, a slight woman, so I gather none. Noni though will have to be wearing thick lense glasses and lovely blue shoes
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM

30 more pounds on Jill Scott? Wow!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I found this picture on the website DumelaBotswana - a good up and coming site based in Maun - thought I'd share - its Jill Scott as Precious on break during filming: Sorry for the incredibly long URL -

http://www.dumelabotswana.me.com/_ph...imageid=905681
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

She sure looks like a traditionally built Botswana woman!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Lookforward to the release of this movie!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Yes, Sandi, that looks like more than 30 lb. You have to give actors credit for truly throwing themselves into a role. Thank you Veer. I love the character of Precious and am eager to see the story come to life.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Hi!

I love these books and really look forward to seeing this film...maybe they can try for some of the small artsy theaters (which often have the best films anyways...)

Moira

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -