Search

Nile Lock Closing

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2000, 04:01 PM
Tom

Nile Lock Closing

Later this week we will be leaving for Cairo/Luxor on a package that includes a cruise from Aswan to Luxor. We just learned that the government has closed the lock on the river outside of Luxor. We were advised that this twice-a-year closing is done to repair the lock. Our boat stops at Esna and for two days we will be bused from the boat to the Valley of the Kings/Queens etc. Reportedly this will allow for longer sightseeing stops as the bus makes it to the sites faster than the ship. This was hard to believe and sounded more like a hassle. <BR>Has anyone ever encountered this and if so what happened? <BR>Thanks

Old May 21st, 2000, 10:22 PM
rebecca

Tom, <BR> <BR>Do you know how long it would be taken for closing as I plan to go during Aug to Oct. <BR> <BR>Thanks/Rebecca

Old May 22nd, 2000, 06:19 PM
Tom

Rebecca, <BR> <BR>I don't know. This was all the information I have received to date.

Old May 27th, 2000, 02:31 AM
Rudy

Check into this further. We got back last night from Egypt. Went through the locks on Monday. We had a long wait. I don't know how many locks there are, but it may be that they were only repairing one of the locks. I can't imagine that they are totally closed down, because there is a steady, and I mean steady, stream of tour boats going back and forth from Luxor to Aswan.

Old May 30th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Alistair

The Esna lock is closed for the first fortnight in June and some time in December. Cruises starting from Luxor now start at Esna during this time and therefore your itinerary will change accordingly as informed by Cosmos.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Tom

Hi, <BR> <BR>I returned back last weekend. Yes, the locks were fully closed at Esna effeective the beginning of June, and the boats had to dock there. It was quite a scene with 15 or so boats docked sideways. No boats were allowed through big or small. The road we were bussed on skirted the Nile which was visible at times. As we approached Luxor, we could see boats (not as many), stacked on that side. We had to get up earlier for the hour drive to Luxor but it did not really dampen things, in fact, it was intersting going through some small towns. We also stopped on the way (unplanned) and met a small local farmer that had 2 baby camels and an assemblence of animals that lived with them and their 8 kids in a dirt floor thatched roof house. Originally we just slowed down to se if we could see the babies, but our Egyptologist agreed to stop and ask the family if we could see the camels.The photo opportunities here were great. These people were quite poor financially and very warmly invited us in to their home. We all gave them a few pounds and some pens. They and we were thrilled. This was a memorable experience and not just another tourist stop. <BR>Sometimes these changes in plans turn out to have wonderous results. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Steven

I was on a cruise in Oct. 99. I wasn't told about the lock closing. we were stuck for 2 days and they wouldn't let us off the boat ("security reasons"). I would plan on avoiding any lock issues. Take the train, then go by fulucc or cruise from Aswan to Luxor. They will tell you anything to get your money. Beware.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Cllarissa

Message: My husband and I were on a nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan June 19 2000 to June 23 2000. The crew informed us that the locks had just opened the morning of the 19th. We arrived at the Esna locks on the 21st and it took us approximately 45minutes to 1 hour to get through. The cruise was absolutely great and there should be no more closings til December.