Nile Cruise - 3 nights/4 nights/7 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is better and why? I get the impression that on the 7 night cruise the places that are visited are repeated. I know the 7 night cruises are a combination of the 3 night and 4 night cruises.

Also, if I choose on of the shorter cruises for 3 nights or 4 nights is it better to take the cruise northbound or southbound?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM

We took a 7 night cruise on our Egypt trip. I liked the idea of not moving around so much to different hotels. Our trip was 3 nights Cairo, 7 nights on the ship, and two nights back at Cairo. From Luxor we stopped at the temples on the way to Aswan. On the way back to Luxor we just relaxed on the boat while the rest of the ship was touring the temples. It made for a nice relaxing day. Since we essentially did a 4 night and a 3 night cruise, I think I would prefer the 4 night. Being on the ship a little longer. Whichever cruise you choose, you will have a great time.

Julie
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Not all 7 night cruises repeat the same visits. We took a 7 night cruise from Aswan north and went north past Luxor and continued north to Abydos and Dendara. Each night we stopped at a different location. We started with 4 days in Cairo, took the Nile cruise, and then flew back to Cairo for a few more days. We liked staying on the ship for 7 days because there was no need to pack and unpack and check into and out of various hotels.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM

We traveled Aswan/Luxor. Just be sure the stops are the same whether going north or south. They usually are, but we had a stop at Edfu which none of the other boats cruising when we were did. Why? Beats me. Also, at a certain time of year, the Edfu Locks are closed and you have to transit over land. Verify so you're not surprised.

As baracuda2 indicates, if option for 7/days, be sure it's the one to Abydos and Dendara which just aren't visited on the 3 or 4/day cruises. Otherwise, going back and forth over 7/days isn't my idea of a holiday... boring.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM

I agree that 7 days is over kill unless you have more time than you need to see all of Egypt. I think repeating sites on the Nile is a perfect waste of time when you could be spending those 2 or 3 extra days on a beach on the Sinai or somewhere else on the Red Sea, or in a desert Oasis, or somewhere else different. There is WAY too much of Egypt to see to duplicate sites.

Also, sandi, I think you meant Esna, not Edfu. Edfu is the standard stop. Esna is where the locks are.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback, Debbie, I see you've just posted on this thread, if you've looked at my other threads you'll know I am planning a solo trip, just wondering if you have can include a solo traveller (with a group) on your tours in Cairo, or are these strictly customized depending on the customer.

As for the Nile cruise, I think I'll go for the four day option.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM

JSM - I can't answer that here or I'll be looked at as spamming. Sorry. If you want to ask me anything, write to me at [email protected]. Thanks.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:19 AM

you got me Debbie - yesssss, the Esna locks, so the temple at Esna (in that hole which is quite amazing)
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:49 AM

I went on the 7 day Nile cruise. It went as far as Dendera, and did not make any repeat stops. I thought the 7 days were great. Even though I am not a cruise person, (3 days on the Yangtze River Cruise was 2 days too many for me) the sites along the Nile of the people doing their various daily activities were facinating to watch. The boat travels close enough to the shore so that you can observe the people and their activities very easily. This was intersting to watch, apart from the main stops which allow you to view the various temples along the route.