Needed: Caracal and other unusual mammal photos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on an online field guide to include most of the species that can be sighted on safari. For each profile I am using two photographs which leaves me needing quite a bit.

Anyone willing to volunteer photo contributions these are some that I know I need:

caracal
one African wild cat
aardvark
aardwolf
brown hyena
striped hyena
genet
polecat
any of the mongooses
pangolin

Full credit with a copyright statement will be used for any contributors. If you desire to sell your pictures in anyway I can provide a weblink or contact info as well in a 'our photographers' section. Anyone who wants to contribute please email me bgivenhawk @ aol.com

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM

While I have seen a few of the animals on that list, I only have good photos of the African wild cat (I am thinking of the 12th photo in the set that can be found at http://tinyurl.com/hffwa )

Let me know if you are doing the same for North America. I was in Brooks Lodge, Katmai NP yesterday, and its probably one of the two best places in the world to photograph grizzly bears (at one point, I saw 10 grizzlies). Today, I'm in Seward, and just photographed killer whales in Kenai Fjords NP (but they are very difficult to photograph).

Michael
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM

I take it you don't want Caracal photos from the zoo or wild animal park???
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM

I have one shot of a caracal.

It's not the best, but can be emailed to you.

Let me know.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, I have had some very generous emailers helping out as well with many of these rarely photographed species.

Michael: the wild cat is outstanding, thanks for your email.

Mistadobolina: yes, I am hoping to use all photos from the wild but certainly the caracal is proving to be a problem thus far so I may have to reconsider that at some point. Do you have a good shot from a zoo? If it looks natural I'd love to see it.

Dssxxxx: as you can see from above the caracal seems to have eluded most cameras so please do email your picture, a fair shot could well be a great shot in this case.

Thanks everyone for your willingness to help and contribute!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Completely unrelated to your request but I have never seen caracal in the Kruger on "safari",but have seen it twice in Cape Town, very close to the city. Once in Kirstenbosch & once in Tygerberg Nature Reserve. How cool is that?
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Hi Pred,
I have a few shots of 'striped' (is that the right word?)Mongoose. They aren't the greatest but if you like I can e-mail them to you tomorrow. They are on my work PC so I can't do it now. No offence if they don't make the final cut.

Michael - I'm delighted to hear about Brooks!!! We'll be there in exactly 20 days ... yaaayyy!!! Can I ask, I'm debating whether to take a tripod or not (for both Brooks and Anan) - any advice?
Also, can I ask who you booked the Kenai Cruise with? I'm thinking of Renown on the 3pm tour - do you think we need to book ahead or wait and see what the weather is like?
Thanks for any help - I'm getting really excited now!

Pred, sorry for hijacking!

Imelda
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Imelda, I didn't bring a tripod (but I was only using a 300mm lens, which had more than enough reach), but many people, with much longer lenses, did bring tripods. Aside from birdwatchers, it was probably the largest collection of tripods I've seen. The bears can be very close, especially at the upper falls platform (from where the classic "bear-catching-salmon" photos are taken). You'll probably be pleased that you took it, at least since its a place to rest the heavy camera, but I wouldn't say its essential.

I went with Kenai Fjords Tours, but all five or six companies depart from the same place, and offer similar tours (of varying lengths). I'm pretty sure they also share sightings, since there were several (maybe four) boats at the killer whale sighting -- but its much different than a safari sighting. The four boats were spread over a several square mile area (but can be seen on the horizon) watching several killer whale families, which totaled perhaps 50 individuals.

I booked in advance, but I was told there was space. The weather is so changeable that I wouldn't skip the trip if it was raining -- it will be clear at some point and in some places.

Michael
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I saw caracal at dusk at Savuti Camp (the same place that I saw aardwolf). I didn't get photos of the aardwolf, though, but I may have some dusky photos of the caracal, but they would be poor.

I have a photo of a yellow mongoose in the same link above (Row 2, second photo from left).
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM

A BIG thank You Michael!!!!! I only have an FZ30 so it's not a big lense but like you said, it's good to have something to rest the camera on (bean bag in Africa). If I can fit the tripod I'll definately take it (should manage it) but it's good to know it's not essential. Also, I was worried about 'jostling' for space with the tripod - don't want to upset anyone!

I think I'll book the Kenai Cruise before we leave - it sounds absolutely amazing!

Thanks for your help!

Imelda

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Michael: sorry, in my sleep deprived state I forgot to respond to your question about North America! You are working ahead of me now. The site is going to be called The Wild Source and it's primary purpose is to help wildlife enthusiasts plan the best trips for their desires by providing free resources as well as help sustain conservation around the globe. The initial focus is going to be Africa because my time and resources can only do so much at once but I am going to include some content to help eco-travelers find other destinations before I can fully develop them so I probably could use some Katmai/Kenai Fjords pics of brown bears and orcas -- yes I have tried to photograph them too with very limited success. And of course I believe you have some polar bears also and who knows what else from around the world.

Imelda: that is a welcome hijack. I almost traveled this same area last year but put it off until this summer only to have my young one arrive and thus stay home. Fantastic that you are heading that way, I'll be excited to hear all about it from both you and Michael.

I'm guessing your 'striped' mongoose are banded mongoose which I have had a couple people contribute. But I'd love for you to email me anyway and tell me more about your upcoming Alaska journey so please fire away when you have the time.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

hannahm: that is very cool! It makes a good bit of sense too as the caracal is the big cat outside of many of the big parks whereas in them high densities of lions and hyenas means they have to keep a very low profile.

Michael: yes, that yellow mongoose is outstanding, I love his eyes!

Imelda: I'll have to check my Alaska notes but I had a very good recommended Kenai Fjords cruise that takes a limited number of guests on a smaller boat if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Hoped to get a pangolin on my recent trip, but he left before I arrived!

Have genet, baby banded mongoose along with chameleon... but, I'm in the photos. Holding them. No, not in a zoo... on safari in Africa!

Oh, wait... have one of the genet sitting alone on my bed. Is that good enough?
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Sandi: that sounds like a classic picture that I could use in my Biologist Blog! Not appropriate for the field guide but perfect for a discussion on wildlife in camp. Please feel free to email it on to me.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Hiya, I sent you a link by email to two of my white tailed mongoose shots.

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/image/78666083

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/image/50492415

You did pick some hard ones to find!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Predator -

Will do as soon as I get my pics uploaded. I'm in the process, so please be patient.

Paka is a cutie. Sure didn't expect him to plop in my lap during dinner; then to followed me home. I must have smelled just right

I hear he's asked about me and wants another rendevous avec moi! (So much for my French)
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Pred

We can probably help with a few, though I actually have good Caracal video not stills, will that help?
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
jnk

Pred - If you are still looking for a picture of a caracal, I have a few from our recent trip to Tanzania last April. It was taken in the Serengeti by the Moru Kopjes (pic #160 & 161). Our guide (Moses from Good Earth Safaris) was extremely excited when he spotted these guys cause apparently they are a rare sighting. Also have pics of a few hyenas somewhere in there.

www.jnkmau.shutterfly.com

Hope that helps!
jnk
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Predator, we may have a decent aardwolf photo, I'll check. Have to check how the wild cat came out. We also have a mongoose that is not the banded but not sure what it is... will email you.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
aby

Wow <b>JNK!</b>
What a great shot of a Caracal !!!
You really made my day

<b>PB</b>
what a project!

does the list mean that you have good pictures of Zorilla, Civet, Clawless Otter, Honey Badger or even side-striped Jackal ?
Do you need only Carnivora ?
oops - i see the Pangolin as well...
(i do have slides of a Pangolin, though i have not used 'em for years so i need time to trace than scan ... i ran into Ground Pangolin in Kruger back in 1983.
at the Wits University i saw a poster of an article with the headline: <i> &quot;Only 10 Pangolins are left&quot;.</i> then the subtitle read something like: <i> &quot;can anybody prove differently?&quot; </i>

<b>Michael</b>
can you please tell us the price of the Katmai trip?
(i'll probably be in Alaska in a month, and though it seems close to impossible to add something like that, i'd like to fantasize...)

aby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -