Need Advice on Zanzibar

Oct 15th, 2000, 12:59 AM
Lucy

Need Advice on Zanzibar

My husband and I are going to Africa for the first time in February- we're going for 3 nights each to Samburu and the Masai Mara,(Intrepids camps) then on to Zanzibar for a week at Breezes Beach Club.
Main question: Is a week in Zanzibar too long?We could go down to the Selous to Rufigi River camp for 1 or 2 nights, or spend a night on Chobe Island to break up Zanzibar- any advice is greatly welcomed!!
Also:Has anyone stayed in any of these places?What are they like?And we are flying Air Kenya from London to Nairobi (Serena Hotel there) what is it like (I assume fine or else they wouldn't have booked us!)
Thanks in advance! Lucy

Oct 15th, 2000, 11:21 PM
April

I personally wouldn't find a week too long on Zanzibar. You can take daytrips from there to nearby islands. However, your other options sound appealing as well.

Oct 16th, 2000, 03:21 AM
TT

Hi Lucy:
My first question is : Are you going to Africa on safari or to Zanzibar? What is your main purpose? I feel that 5 days/6 nights is too short for any safari. You will need one day to travel between those two camps even if you fly. It is going to be a long way to get from Masai Mara first to Nairobi then to...... and then to Zanzibar. I would spend more time on safari if this is your main reason for going there. We went for three days to Zanzibar this July after 12 days safari in Tanzania. It was a nice place to relax although we had a rain every day. It is so expensive to get there from Masai Mara. We are going to Selous next June but it is recommended to stay there at least three nights. We flew London - Nairobi - London on Air Kenya and it wasn't any different experience than flying Delta or USAir or Southwest. Just much, much cheaper. We saved enough money to buy tickets for our next safari. We stayed in London for a couple days before and after our trip and before flying back to Montreal with Air Canada.
This is your first trip to Africa so I feel you should spend more time in camps in Kenya. I would even add one more camp instead of a whole week in Zanzibar. Why Zanzibar if you are going to be in Kenya? Did you think about Mombasa? It is easy to get there to from Nairobi. Some people think it is a great place afer safari.

Oct 16th, 2000, 06:56 AM
Robert

I spent a week on Zanzibar and it wasn't too long. If you go to the east coast you will find a tropical paradise of white sands, palm trees and coral reefs.
I spent half the week there and I could have easily spent a week!
One thing: beware of crime spots in Zanzibar town. There are no-go areas that you will be made aware of. Just avoid them and you will have a good time.

Oct 16th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Robert

By the way, you can see some of the places I've been at my web site.
http://www.robs-travel-photos.com

Oct 23rd, 2000, 03:53 AM
Ian Mackinnon

Hi Lucy
I have been to Zanzibar twice,the first staying in Stone town for a week with the occasional trip to the east coast,this was a scuba diving trip only which was fantastic.The second trip came after a safari to the Ngorogoro crator and a climb up Kilimanjaro,I stayed for a night at the Emerson and Green hotel in Stone Town and then onto Breezes Beach Resort on the east coast,the hotel is great but you are limited for things to do other than just chilling and the odd scuba dive.Personally I think you sould try and get more safari time in Ngorogora Crator is a must.We flew to Zanzibar from Arusha in Tanzania via Dar and then back to London......Zanzibar is more beach holiday but a great place Emerson and Green in Stone town was a highlight they have baths overlooking the town and a great roof top resturant............Have fun u will love Africa

Oct 23rd, 2000, 04:08 AM
gina

Dear Lucy:
I agree with Ian on combining safari in Tanzania with Zazibar. From my own experience I can tell you that combing Kenya and Zanzibar is not very good idea. We spent much too much time travelling from one place to another. And Crater in Tanzania is just amazing. Also you could go to Serengeti which is connected to Masaai Mara. Actually this is the same region but in two different names in two different countries. Let us know if these answers to your questions helped you decide. Well, we are waiting.

Oct 25th, 2000, 02:07 PM
Lucy

Dear Everybody-
Thanks so much for your replies. I wish we could afford 10 or 12 nights before the beach - but I bought this as a package for a rather cheap rate, which is about what I can afford-its a Christmas present for my husband who has always wanted to go to Africa - and our flights from London to Nairobi and then to Samburu, Mara and 'beach' were all packaged, so I didn't have too much choice.I thought of Mombasa too,for the 'beach' bit, but then chose Zanzibar because I'm a hopeless romantic and have read most of Richard Burton. So my only real flexibility here is wether or not to go from Zanzibar to Selous. A local company allied with ZanAir packages two nights at Rufiji River, and I'm just trying to figure out if we'd be idiots to miss it, or wether its not enough time & we'd be idiots not to try to really see some of Zanzibar.(Thanks especially for the diving comment- I dive, and I gather its incredible there - which comapny did you use? And can you recommend them?) Anyways,so much for the story of my life- this all helps alot, and I really appreciate the comments! (Anyone been to Chumbe Island off Zanzibar?)

Oct 26th, 2000, 04:44 AM
mm

My husband and I were in Tanzania last year. We went to Selous using Coastal Air via Dar es Salaam. Due to scheduling, we stayed only two nights. Since we had seen Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Manyara, we wanted to see some of the animals that were only found in the south. It was a different experience staying at a tented camp instead of a lodge. Our trip to Selous was followed by another two day stay at Mafia island. It's a nice, quiet island and we were able to go diving off Mafia. We did spend a lot of time travelling from one place to another but it was worth getting even a glimpse of what Tanzania had to offer.

Oct 27th, 2000, 11:10 PM
April

Zanzibar is not a big place so, on rethinking this, if you can go to the Selous and still spend 4 or 5 days in Zanzibar, I would do that.

Search this Thread