Ndutu area game drives

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ndutu area game drives

We are staying at the Olakira Camp for 3 days late next February, and as I understand it, at that time of the year Olakira will be located just inside the Serengeti National Park. Can you go off-road in that part of the Serengeti Park, or do you have to go back into the NCA to go off-road?
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
santharamhari

That's probably just their camp location. The only off-road drive area will be around ndutu.

Hari

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:39 AM

>Can you go off-road in that part of the Serengeti Park?

Generally you are allowed to drive off-road in this part of the Serengeti, but sometimes they won't allow it if there have been heavy rains, to avoid rutting I assume. On March 6 2006 they blocked these areas after heavy rains, for example. You may have to pay an additional $10 "guide fee" (in addition to the daily $50 per person entry fee, $6.50 vehicle fee and $1.50 Tz driver fee), or at least we did to visit the kopjes. You pay this at Naabi ... you may not get a guide (it's mainly for people traveling on their own) but you do pay the fee ... I was told this was added because some self-guided people saw cheetah cubs unattended by their mother, assumed they were abandoned and tried to take them to Naabi.

Who is setting up your camp? I'd like to do that kind of trip some day, especially since it's often hard to get rooms at Ndutu during the early phase of the migration.

Bill
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Bill,
Olakira is a seasonal camp operated by Asilia Lodges though it's not on their website yet. Look at their info on Sayari (another seasonal camp) or check Eben's site for Olakira locations - http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/Olakira.htm
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Thanks Patty! We were lucky enough to get six nights at Ndutu next year during the early migration so won't need this camp in 2007, but would like to try it some other time.

Bill