Night drives at Tarangire Treetops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone out there done these ? Worthwhile ?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM

galiano,

It may be worth it just to get out of the lodge. When I arrived at Tarangire Treetops, it was too late to do a drive in the park, so for the $30 per person I was charged it was definitely worth it, although all I saw were some jackals, maybe a couple bat eared foxes, some scrubhares and possibly a springhare...nothing extraordinary, but it beats sitting around the lodge and it was after dinner which was nice. It is an open vehicle and I had the entire vehicle to myself.

I do think gameviewing would be much better in the area of Tarnagire Treetops between the months of August - October than it was during my late February visit.

The downside to Tarangire Treetops is that it is about 75-90 minutes away from the entrance to the park.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this Roccco. We'll likely book the night game drive ahead of time. Tarangire Treetops looks like a whimsical sort of place to stay with its treehouse bedrooms. Did you enjoy the place and how would your rate it other than the fact it's a ways from the Park entrance ? Pardon my ignorance but why is that a negative ?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM

>>The downside to Tarangire Treetops is that it is about 75-90 minutes away from the entrance to the park.<<

>how would your rate it other than the fact it's a ways from the Park entrance ? Pardon my ignorance but why is that a negative ?<

I'm pretty sure this lodge is OUTSIDE the park, so he means you have to drive 2:30 - 3 hours each day just visit and return. The lodges inside the park won't have night time game drives, everyone has to be off the tracks by either 6 or 7 PM, depending on the park.

Bill

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Bill is correct. Although this will be less of an issue in August - October when there should be a lot of resident game in the area of Tarangire Treetops.

I must say that I absolutely loved my room (Room #20) and it had an incredible oversized balcony where my wife and I ate dinner each night and it had an awesome shower for two with two separate shower heads directly overhead (from the ceiling). It was fantastic and we enjoyed watching electrical storms each night during our late February stay.

However, in two nights, we only did manage one drive in the park and the gameviewing was light. I have heard gameviewing is incredible around September, however.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Our plan is to leave Arusha in the a.m. and hopefully do some gave viewing along the way arriving at Treetops in the late afternoon. Now it seems we should do a night game drive while at Treetops. Then the next day we are leaving for Plantation Lodge and assume we will have a day of game viewing on the way there. So hopefully the distance from the Park entrance won't be an issue.

Roccco thanks for that about the rooms. It's great to hear first hand about accommodation.
Bill - good input.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM

galiano,

If you are only doing one night at Tarangire Treetops, I must advise you that you would need to leave Arusha very early to arrive at the Tarangire NP entrance by midday for your game drive. You would likely not arrive back at the lodge until after 6PM and then only have a little time before dinner. With all that driving that day, the night game drive would be pretty rough.

I would not recommend Tarangire NP, whether in the park or outside the park, for one night only.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM

We did a night game drive at Kikoti Lodge which is just outside the park. We saw a leopard and a cameleon. That's it. This was about 10 days ago.

We found the game interesting in Tarangire. Lots of birds and we watched a lion pride feeding on an eland carcass and then the next day watched the entire pride defend the remains from a group of hyena.