Narrowing down Tanzania

Jun 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Narrowing down Tanzania

I've posted before and really appreciate all that I have read.
What do you all think of this?
Ngorongor Conservation Area for 1-2 days
staying at Ndutu Safari Lodge or Nforongoro Crater Lodge or Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge. Any suggestions here?
Also doing the Serengeti Nat Park and staying in the Serentgeti Wildlife Lodge or Grumeti River Camp. Also doing Tanangire Nat Park for 2-3 days and staying at Tarangire Tree Tops - any suggestions on this or elsewhere for Tarangire. Also wanted to do Lake Manyar Nat Park and stay at Lake Manyara Tree Lodge, but think I need to pick Tarangire or Lake Manyara. At the end we wanted to relax in Zanzibar for 3 days at Breezes Beach Club. We are thinking of early Sept 2006. Two to four ppl and either using Roy's or Go2africa. Does anyone know - do I just use one of these for all travel planning (flights from Seattle and all ) or do I need to contact someone in US to deal with the outfitter in Africa? Another thing you may all know - how do you recharge digital batteries when doing the tree or semi - perm tenting - know some have generators - can you recharge with them somehow and do you need a converter and which kind is best. I could (and have) go on. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Molly
Jun 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Others will be able to better advise on overall itinerary, but I just wanted to mention a few things.

Ngorongoro - if your goal is to do game drives in the crater, then Ndutu Lodge wouldn't be a practical base as it's too far of a drive, plus I don't think it's in a plentiful game area for Sep. Both Wildlife and Crater lodge are on the crater rim but are at opposite ends of the spectrum accomodation and price wise. Wildlife lodges in general provide basic accomodations while the Crater lodge is over-the-top luxury, and there's quite a difference between the two as far as rates. What type of accomodations are you looking for?

Same goes for your accomodation choices in the Serengeti.

Go2africa can book your air for you although you might want to check airfares on your own for comparison. I don't know if Roys can book your international air. You don't need to go through a US travel agent and a non-specialty agent won't be any help anyway and will probably just complicate things unnecessarily. If you choose to work with a US agent who specializes in Africa, they'll most likely want to work with their preferred ground contractors (you wouldn't be choosing the outfitter).

Most camera battery chargers are dual voltage. Look on the plug and see if it says anything like 110~240v. If it does, then you only need a plug adaptor and not a converter. In Tanzania I believe it's also the 3 prong UK like just like in Kenya. Sometimes there are in tent outlets, other times you may have to ask them to recharge them for you. Bring spare batteries.
Jun 16th, 2005, 03:06 PM

BTW I think I read somewhere on this board that Roys has a US contact #, if you feel more comfortable dealing with someone in the US. Another Tanzania operator that has a US office is Good Earth Tours.
Jun 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
sandi

Patty is right on regarding the accommodations. You're going from some of the least expensive to over-the-top and if traveling in September - high season - prices will be just that, high!

Likewise, in September I wouldn't go to the Nduto area - nothing happening; nor Grumeti River - nothing happening her either. In fact in September, I'd skip the Serengeti altogether. You should be in the Masai Mara in Kenya - that's where the Migration is happening.

If flying into JRO you can do Tarangire for 2-days, Ngorongoro 1-2 days, back via Arusha/Kili to Nairobi to the Mara for 3-4 days. From the Mara you can fly via NBO to ZNZ. From ZNZ you can depart from Dar-es-Salaam, JRO or NBO.

You ask about batteries in camps, but with the exception of Grumeti, the others are all lodges, so there shouldn't be any problem. Most lodges have outlets in each room; if not you can have these recharged by reception in their office.

However, we just returned from Zanzibar and noticed that the outlets here required European adapters (2 round prongs), not the 3-prong oft found African outlets. I'd recommend you have both adapters, just in case.

Can't say about go2africa, but Roy's doesn't do International air, but I believe they can recommend a resource. Personally, I'd handle air on my own - ff miles award tickets, or paid direct with an air carrier or thru a travel agent - your choice.

Jun 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM

sandi,
Did you encounter the 2 prong European type outlets on mainland Tanzania also, or just Zanzibar?
Jun 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM
sandi

patty -

Only on Zanzibar - you could have tossed me over with a feather when I saw it. Thankfully, I had my entire plug kit, so no problem. While on the mainland, we only stayed at Kirawira and here they had the 3-prong (expected) African outlets in the tents.

Jun 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Patty's right, Roy Safaris does have a contact in the U.S.--she has helped us book our upcoming first safari to Tanzania.

After I emailed Roy's asking for pricing and itinerary help, the U.S. contact responded on their behalf. If you use the contact, you are still booking through Roy's and there are no additional fees or costs (even for itinerary planning) when using their contact. And she's faster than lightening at email responses. So just contact Roy's and they'll either direct you to Susan here in the U.S. or you can ask for a U.S. contact.

Good luck!

Search this Thread