nairobi hotels

May 2nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

nairobi hotels

I will be in Nairobi at the start and end of safari at the end of July/early August.

What is this forum's recommendations for a comfortable, safe hotel. I want to stay for less than $150/night.
May 3rd, 2005, 03:17 AM
sandi

Check out the following:

Intercontinental
Fairview
Mayfair Court
Jacaranda
Karen Blixen Coffee Garden/Hotel

Believe these will come in at your price range.

May 3rd, 2005, 04:33 AM

Newtoafrica, for your budget you can stay at any hotel in Nairobi, except, perhaps, Giraffe Manor and the like. If all you want is a comfortable, safe hotel you can get that for a tenth of what you’re a willing to pay. The Terminal is very central, safe, reasonably clean, and you get a comfortable bed and your own bathroom with hot water round the clock for 1,000 shillings per night. The Comfort Inn is a bit less inexpensive mid range hotel and for more expensive mid range hotels you could look at the Boulevard and the Oakwood.
May 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input.

I am willing to pay more for African standards. Do either of you have an opinion as to the quality of the Hilton vs. Intercontinental vs. Jacaranda?
May 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Newtoafrica - I just booked online at the Stanley for $105 per night through www.orbitz.com. They also had good rates for intercontinental and hilton.
May 10th, 2005, 06:14 AM

I'm planning to stay at the Norfolk when I travel early next year. However, I don't recall what I'm paying.
May 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I was just in Nairobi in February and stayed at the Mayfair Court. We loved it. The rooms we had were huge!!! We were a group of six and could have easily stayed in 2 rooms.
May 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM

newtoafrica:

I have stayed at the Serena, Nairobi Safari Club, Norfolk, Jacaranda and Holiday-Inn Mayfair. All are good. However, I now choose to stay at either the H-I Mayfair or Jacaranda. They are not right in the downtown area and are a little quieter as far as hearing traffic all night goes. Holiday Inn Mayfair also has the Spur Ranch Steak House where you can get great barbecued meals. A plus for staying at the Jacaranda is the Sarit Centre (shopping plaza) is right across the street, and it is safe to wander around there during the day to do your sourvenir shopping.

Jan
May 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM

For our safari in 2002 we stayed at Holiday Inn Mayfair and did eat at that steakhouse..excellent meal. This is a very nice hotel.
May 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Hi:

During our safari was spent a night in Niarobi at the Nairobi Safari Club. It was very nice (all rooms were suites), as ai recall reasonably prices (~$100usd), had an excellant resturant, with very good entertainment and there was a supermarket about a block away where I 'stocked up' for the safari (bottled water & snacks).

Z

Search this Thread