Nairobi Hotels

Dec 8th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Nairobi Hotels

Please recommend any 3 star / moderately priced hotels in Nairobi for a woman travelling on her own in January.
Can I / should I book a car in advance for transportation from the airport to the hotel?
Dec 9th, 2003, 10:19 AM

I would definitely book a car in advance or have something scheduled. I only spent an overnight there but wouldn't want to brave it on my own.

We stayed at the Mayfair Court which is a Holiday Inn franchise. Very nice accommodations -- probably below the standards of the Norfolk, but quite comfortable and safe.
Dec 9th, 2003, 10:49 AM

As I single female, I have stayed twice at the FairView Hotel. It has several levels of room type but I like their Superior rooms better than the more expensive Deluxe rooms. It has a nice breakfast buffet.

It is not right downtown but I like it's somewhat country air. Get a cab from the airport - you won't want to drive in Nairobi.

Good luck!
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:26 AM

Norfolk Hotel. Don't even think about getting from the airport to your hotel using public transportation. Once you reserve your hotel they will arrange your transfer.
Dec 9th, 2003, 12:09 PM

The Norfolk Hotel is not a 3-star hotel, but a 5-star hotel, and is one of the most expensive, but best, hotels in Nairobo. When we were bumped from our KLM flight last year, they put us in the Intercontinental at a very reduced airline rate, but I think the regular rate is probably pretty good. Also, with the Stanley on the US advisory list, you could probably get a good rate (I stayed there last August and it was very nice). All decent hotels will arrange transport and you should arrange an airport transfer.

Like earlxx said, do not use public transport to get from the airport to the city.
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:17 PM

I also recommend The Fairview, although for security purposes I feel obliged to tell you it is directly across from an embassy. But it is clean, adequate and in a quiet, residential neighborhood. Another option is the Boulevard Hotel. Both are moderately priced and safe enough for a woman traveling alone. And to reiterate what others have said, make sure transportation is pre-arranged to your hotel by your hotel.
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Colle:

I have traveled alone to Kenya on four occasions and will share my thoughts on the hotels with you.

Serena - extremely nice hotel. However I didn't feel safe even back three years ago. The front doors are chained with very heavy duty chains at night because of the proximity to the parks on each side and the homeless who live in the parks. Now with the threat of terrorism I wouldn't consider it.

Nairobi Safari Club - very nice "suite type" hotel. However, there is a very busy street right in front and I heard traffic all night long.

Jacaranda (formerly Landmark) - I have stayed here twice and felt very comfortable. There is the Sarit Center shopping plaza across the street so one can walk over there and shop during the day.

I too am going to Kenya in January and this time I decided to try the Holiday Inn Mayfair. I have noticed some favorable postings on this board so I will give it a try. If I don't like it I'll go back to the Jacaranda next time.

I would just stay away from the downtown area hotels for the time being due to the terrorism threat. Five downtown hotels were threatened. Luckily nothing has happend and Kenya has GSU officers posted around the hotels now.

Are you by any chance going to either Amboseli or Tsavo East? Perhaps we'll see each other there.

Jan
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Colle:

Sorry, I forgot to answer the second portion of your question. Personally I would have someone waiting for you upon your arrival at the airport. There are so many taxi drivers and their touts trying to grab you and get your business that it is uncomfortable.

I use Southern Cross Safaris for my whole trip (they specialize in non-group special interest safaris aka ala carte) but I know that they also meet people at airport and take them where they want to go. They will meet me on my arrival, take me to my hotel, pick me up the next morning and drive me to see Daphne Sheldrick's elephant orphans, back to the hotel and then the next morning take me to Wilson Airport for the flight to Amboseli. They are an old, very reliable company. You can look up their info., prices and contact people on www.southerncrosssafaris.com.

Jan
Dec 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Jan: Are you going to stay at Satao Camp again? And have you ever stayed at Patterson's? If so, what did you not like about it that made you go to Satao? As we had "talked" about before, I am seriously contemplating a few days in Tsavo on our next trip.
Dec 14th, 2003, 10:37 AM

SusanLynne:

No, I have never stayed at Patterson's Camp. In looking it up on the computer it is advertised on several websites as a cheap youth hostel. Neither have I run into anyone who has stayed there.

Yes, I am staying at Satao for 6 nights again. I will also spend seven nights at Ol Tukai in Amboseli.

As I think I mentioned before, the presence or absence of animals in areas in Tsavo depends on when the last rain came and how much food is in a given area. It is possible to be in one area and see no animals. That is one of the great reasons for staying at Satao. If there are no animals in that area, then driving about 20 miles to Aruba Dam is a likely source for finding them. In September we saw very few animals in the park, and yet there were hundreds of elephants, lots of giraffe, topi, zebra, waterbuck, hippos, etc. at the borehole right in front of my tent. I am not sure what is in the area of Patterson's. I think they are fairly close to Mudanda Rock but don't know what else is in that vicinity.

Perhaps some other Fodorites know more about Patterson's than I do.

Jan
Dec 14th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Jan. You have sold me on Satao Camp. I wish you a wonderful trip, and please give my best to those FANTASTIC Amboseli ellies. I will anxiously await your report upon your safe return.
Dec 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Take a look at the Belevedere Hotel, which is down the street from the Norfolk. I haven't been in Nairobi in a while, so can't say what condition it is in now, but, perhaps, someone else can add recent information. ZZ
Feb 20th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I stayed at the Fairview in a superior room for $85U.S. I can strongly recommend this hotel. High security, very good service and lovely grounds.
Feb 21st, 2004, 04:07 AM

Colle: Glad you liked The Fairview. It is a place I feel very comfortable and very welcomed by the staff. For the price I think it is a great value, and certainly less expensive than some of the other more well known hotels in Nairobi.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM

Colle,

Glad you liked the Fairview. How is the pool (did you go in?)? It was still being built when I was last there.

Deb

Search this Thread