Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

My "Favorites" folder on computer is overflowing with AFRICA! How do you keep everything organized?

Search

My "Favorites" folder on computer is overflowing with AFRICA! How do you keep everything organized?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you...everytime someone posts an interesting link or camp I add it to my "favorites".(Just call me "sponge girl&quot Now I have divided that info into specific folders based on country. Plus all the itinerary options Rocco and Julian have so kindly suggested for my next journey, I'm on information OVERLOAD. My desktop is ALL Africa icons now. God forbide if anything should ever happen to my computer or if Fodors disappeared, I would be devastated! How do you guys keep this all sorted out? Can anyone relate?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:17 PM

I have the same concern. If I lose my favorites, I'm dead. Can someone explain how to backup the favorites list from Firefox on a PC runnign XP?
As for organization: I've also divided the sites by country or multi-country. For some countries, I then have sub-folders such as for Trip Reports, resources, etc. I also try to rename the site to something that may be meaningful to me rather than the default name (which is often something unuseable like Kodak#####).
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM

All right now, first thing to do is make a backup copy of the "Favorites" folder or in Firefox the "Bookmarks" folder. I'm not running XP, but 2000. But should be similiar. Two ways to find this folder. Just start looking through the "C" drive directory or do a "search" for it. When you find it you will know it because if you open it up you will see, in words, or icons what you know you have. Copy this whole folder to some place else, preferably out of the "C" drive so there is no confusion as to whether it is the original or backup. In fact, just rename the copy folder to "favorites bkp" or "bookmarks bkp". And to be really safe copy this folder onto a CD or DVD.
My "bookmarks/favorites" do not display as icons on the desktop/screen. They are an alphabetical listing (words) in a column on the left side of the browser (IE or Firefox). And the column can be toggled on or off. Thats how I do it in Windows 2000. Windows XP probably has all kinds of ways it wants to "help" you
regards - tom
tom is 5 days out and counting down to safari
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM

How do you create folders on the favorites list. I am currently using AOL. I too have so many bookmarked sites that I would like to organize them
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM

Oooops, forgot about AOL. It also really really wants to "help" you (and show you a few advertisements). Don't know, don't have AOL and never will. I have basic DSL service and run a browser, Microsoft's Internet Explorer, and/or Mozilla's Firefox.
You could still do a search on your PC's drive for "Favorites" or "Bookmarks", I'd bet it is there and AOL uses it and maintains it (maybe, I guess).
regards- tom
tom is 4 days out (now after midnight here) and counting down to safari
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:22 PM

For camps, I simply rely on Bwana Mitch's site:

http://bwanamitch.com/

He's got pretty much all the camps in East Africa and Southern Africa covered, so I don't bother with individual links anymore. Add in go-safari.com, and I'm pretty much covered if there's anything I want to know about a camp.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:19 AM

On a post in another Fodor's forum, someone recommended:

http://www.google.com/googlenotebook/overview.html

I haven't tried it but it looks like:
You can keep your travel info in one place and access it from any computer. You can clip from any website and add it all into 1 web page. Useful if you are planning a trip since you can update while traveling. You can make your page public to share with others.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:34 AM

"How do you create folders on the favorites list. I am currently using AOL."

This might work, depending on which version you are running ... click on 'Favorites' at the top of the menu bar, then click on 'Favorite Places' at the top of the menu that pops up ... then click on 'New' and then select 'New Folder' and give it a name ... then just drag/drop items to this folder.

Bill
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM

actually once you start aol, you can ignore it and run internet explorer or foxfire on top of it
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:52 AM

My bookmarks are just crazy - travel is just ONE of many top level folders and is itself split down into folders and sub folders and sub sub folders!

I export my bookmark list as a file to one of my (equally regimented) hard drive folders and include it in my back up routine.