Search

Multi plug?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi plug?

Has anyone had experience with a multi plug to use with electrical plug adapters? I read on a thread that someone suggested taking an extension cord with mulitple plug-in points on one end to help with recharging etc. I have no less than 5 things to recharge potentially each day. I am taking two adapter plugs for each country so I can use two outlets. Someone suggested a "multiplug" which allows me to plug in more than one thing and then plug that into the adapter. The concern I have is that the rechargers are all dual voltage and convert to whatever current is being passed. But if the multiplug (the kind I could buy in the US) is for 110, how does that affect this whole situation? The dual voltage appliance would plug into the multiplug (110) and then into the plug adapter to fit the wall recepticle. Is that an issue? Does it work? Or is it hazardous or does it present an issue with regard to the appliance being used?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:37 AM

I have the same question and was going to post it before I leave on August 3rd. Any advice would be helpful--is it ok to plug a multi-plug unit into a single adapter plug?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM
sandi

My guess, and only a guess - you'd probably be find with a multi-plus extension cord in a major hotel in a big city... but out in the wilderness???

On our recent visit, while we had batteries to recharge on alternate days, at many tent camps power wasn't 24-hrs, nor do tents always have power outlets. So unless your batteries charge quickly (within 2-hrs)... if it's longer you may only get partial charges. Also many places are powered by solar which is sufficient for some electrical devices, not all.

At one camp, management was good enough to provide a generator for my tent so I could use my hairblower. And, at another camp which I presumed would have sufficient power for the hairblower - didn't. Yes, I'm a fru-fru gal!

Remember also that at most places you will be one of many who need to recharge whatever. Five items seems alot - so be prepared that some may not be able to be done, or cut back on what requires recharging. In fact, I'm curious - what 5 items? and daily?

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Well, I have my SLR battery, the camcorder battery, the Olympus P&S battery and the portable storage device at least. And that's 4. Plus I have other things as well. Now I might not need to charge all of them EVERY day, but don't want to get to a point where I can't and need to and don't have that option. And I won't be staying in tents this trip. Sometimes I will be in regular hotels where I hope to get caught up on charging and that is when I would be interested in the multiplug. So I am wondering if the multiplug that you can buy here in the US that is 110 will work in Africa. Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM

topping to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with this issue?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:44 PM

Why don't you buy a plug adapter (US to England)? Then, bring along your multi-recepticle surge protector and plug all of your dual voltage items into it. It worked fine for us.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM

Thanks, cookndoc, that's exactly what we planned to do--glad to know it worked for you.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Except of course that a "US to England" adaptor will not be of much use to you in South Africa, which I see (from another thread) is one of the countries that you are visiting. That's when you either need an adaptor that has a SA plug end-point, or (as I've suggested previously) simply buy an even more readily-available SA plug from an supermarket when you're in SA and replace the plug at the end of your extension.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

But wouldn't I need to do this for every country I am visiting? I will be in Kenya, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Rwanda, South Africa and Zambia. I already have 6 adapter plugs because of the various countries.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Yes. I just wanted to be sure that you knew that the S.A. plug is relatively rare. Used only in S.A. and a couple of adjoining countries I think. It's the old UK plug from decades ago. And many so-called "universal adaptors" don't include it.