Mt. Sinai

Oct 20th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Mt. Sinai

Still looking at what to do on this wonderful trip. Would love to go climb Mt. Sinai. Has anyone done this? Easiest way to get there, etc? Any advice would be great.
THANKS!
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:46 AM
sandi

Where will you be exactly? Down at Sharm el Sheik or elsewhere? If at Sharm, I'm certain your hotel should be able to arrange a 1-nt/2-day tour going into the desert, a local hotel, the climb and back.

Oct 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Sandi,
Nothing is set in stone yet, but will only have about 6 days in Egypt. Want to do everything from Cairo, to Abu Simbel to Mt. Sinai. So much to see and do. I guess I have to choose wisely...
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM

6 days is not enough time to do all you want to do. I just returned from 2 weeks in Egypt. climbed Mt. Sinai, which was wonderful! Yes, there are excursions from Sharm. I went thru A-Z Tours to arrange all my activities in the two weeks, and would use them again in a New York minute.
Oct 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM
sandi

Deemike - Six days isn't near enough time to even consider trying to get in a trip to Mt. Sinai. A good reason to return to see more of Egypt and manage this side trip.

Oct 27th, 2004, 04:23 PM

In 23 days (not that I'm counting mind you), I'll be Egypt bound as well...staying for 2 weeks. Friends and I have organized a private tour for the 12 of us for the entire trip and we're doing the Mt. Sinai climb for sunrise as well. Any chance I could get a little more detail on what to expect from the climb? My knees aren't the best (you'd think a 36 year old would have better knees, eh?) so I'm a little concerned as I don't want to slow my group down. I've read that there are camels available...anyone ever rode a camel up the mountain? I'm so looking forward to this trip!!
Oct 28th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Travelgirl...I just got back form a 21 day trip to Egypt and we did climb Mt Sinai. We stayed the night in St Catherine's and got up about 2:00am to start the climb up the mountain to be up there for the 5:30am sunrise. Our tour manager got us a guide to walk with us and make sure we knew where we were going, but it's really not brain surgery so you don't really need one. You have to walk about 20 minutes in past the monastery and then you can get a camel to ride most the way up the mountain. Personally riding the camel was nice because you didn't have to walk and it is a long walk, but a word of caution the camel ride was uncomfortable especially for men. My Husband complained the whole time. I too have bad knees (only 33) and decided it best to not walk the whole way so don't feel bad. There are a lot of people that take the camels and surprisingly a lot that don't! Once you get about half the way maybe a tad more the camels will drop you off and you have to walk up the rest of the way up, which are mainly steps straight up. Even after taking the camel it was still very challenging! I was told there are about 4,000 steps, and I wouldn't doubt it. It took us awhile but we stopped a lot to rest. Once at the top it's very cold. So dress warm or you can rent a blanket at the top for about 10 Egyptian pounds. It was a very beautiful sunset. I'm glad we did it, but I don't think I would do it again. On the way down I lost my footing on the sand, fell and cut my hand. Three weeks later and I still have the scars. I guess they will always be a memory of my trip up the mountain! So be careful. In all it took us 6 and half hours to climb up and down and watch the sunset. So go have fun and let us know how your trip was. we had a great time and loved Egypt, hope you do too.
Oct 28th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks CWanderer! I was thinking those camels would be looking pretty good...esp in the wee early hours of the morning. We're actually staying Sharm so I think we're leaving around 11pm. I am so excited about this whole trip...always wanted to go and this unbelieveable opportunity came available a few months ago and it coincides w/ my birthday so what a great treat! Thanks again!

Search this Thread