Moving across continents with dog

Dec 15th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Moving across continents with dog

Hello,

My husband and I may be moving from the United States to another continent (tbd). We have a very sweet and well-behaved beagle that would be moving with us. She is our only "child" and is used to being with us at all times. Putting her in the cargo area of a commercial plane is not an option, and she does not fit the 15-20lb. weight limit to fly under a seat. However, we would consider flying business or first class if we could purchase a seat for her. She is a very good car traveler and we are convinced she would sit in her seat like a perfect angel. Is there any international airline that even allows something like this? I suspect not.

The only other option we can think of is to charter a jet/plane but this will be very costly for an international flight.

Anyone have any other ideas as to how we could accomplish the following?
- stay with our dog at all times of the trip
- not have her in a crate for any extended period of time

Thanks.

Dec 15th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Go by ship.
You might need to prepare yourself for a period of seperation from your dog. depending on which country you enter there could well exist quarantine regulations, which will your dog to impounded for that period.
Dec 15th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Mkhonzo - good thought. We have looked into the Queen Mary 2 but the kennel is really just a terrible set of cages.

As for the quarantine, we'll have to get around it or we won't be able to move to that particular destination. As I understand it, if your dog is in good order, and you prepare your paperwork, this is not as common as it used to be. Anyway, our dog has separation anxiety and if she is separated from us she becomes very ill which would mean they would not release her from the quarantine. Uggggh. We really need to make sure this does not happen!
Dec 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Ericka, is this part of a corporate relocation? If yes, can you get some assistance from the company?

Otherwise, I'd start calling various airlines to see what their policies are. I'd bet you can find an airline that would let you buy a seat for your dog. Any chance you could "piggy-back" onto a group charter?
Dec 16th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Try these guys.

www.pettransporter.com

Search this Thread