Mother and daughter going to S Africa

May 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM
WG
Original Poster

Mother and daughter going to S Africa

We (mom and 24 yr old daughter) are planning a trip to S Africa for Aug. We prefer an all inclusive tour company that will cover the highlights of Cape Town, Victoria Falls and safari experience and are thinking about Abercrombie and Kent, but want to ask for advice and thoughts from the wise and wonderful fodors forum before booking. Thanks!
May 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM

A&K are know for their complete and excellent service. I'm sure you would very much enjoy their African tours. They are also maybe 25%(?) more expensive than most other agents. Unless its other high-end agents like Micato.

There is another ongoing similar thread question here -
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...anga-delta.cfm

regards - tom
May 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM
WG
Original Poster

thank you. will look at micato too.
May 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM

How wonderful you will experience South Africa together.

Check out some of the set itineraries for South Africa from The Africa Adventure Company. I have gone with them and everything has always gone great.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/

Do look at that link Tom posted.
May 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM

I took my 24yr old daughter on her first safari in Dec. 2009. We used Africa Adventure Company and had a fantastic trip! I did not use one AAC's set itineraries as I had been before and knew what I wanted. I have used them several times and they are easy to work with and things have always gone well.
Hopefully, this link below will take you to my trip report.
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...er-2009.cfm?25
May 7th, 2011, 06:52 AM

During my research last year for a Safari in Kenya I found that A&K was approx. $4,000 more than what I ended up paying for the 10 nights I booked thru Go2Africa. The A&K safari was a group tour and was staying at more lodges and less expensive accomodations than I was able to book with Go2Africa which was a private safari based on where I wanted to stay and with flying between all camps.

I'm certain A&K will have great customer service and will be with you along the way (something I didn't want) and you'll both have a great adventure. Go2Africa used Gamewatchers as ground operator and once I was picked up at my first hotel and taken to the airstrip there was always someone to meet me at my destination (usually the camp that was picking me up).

All things considered and if the large price difference didn't matter, I still would have booked with Go2Africa as I was able to design my own itinerary by researching and working with their consultant and mostly because I was able to select nicer tented camps and decide how many nights I wanted at each location. Along with my consultant from Go2Africa, the experts on the forum and TA were extremely helpful during my research and made me feel comfortable in making the right decisions for my first safari which ended up being perfect.

If I were you I'd try and receive quotes and info from a few companies and than decide what is most important to you. I cared to have better tented camps and design my own itinerary and it was just a bonus that the price was much less than A&K. The money I saved is now taking me back to Africa, but this summer it will be Southern Africa.

Based on the itinerary I viewed on A&K's site for VF, CT and Mala Mala, I'm saving over $6,900 total (including Intl Airfare and because I'd have $1900 single supplement) and only major difference in type of accommodation is Cape Grace Hotel and 2 nights in Winelands (I have 5 nights in CT at Four Rosmead), although my itinerary is for 4 extra nights all of which are on Safari with 4 nights at Exeter River in Sabi Sand and 2 nights at Chobe. If price is no object, you can still have other companies quote you on itineraries that may give you a little more time as the A&K itinerary seems a bit rushed. You and your daughter will enjoy a great experience and have wonderful memories for years to come.
May 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM

As others, A&K is way overpriced and it's a "group" departure. Suggest you take their itinerary, assuming you like it, and put it out to a few other tour operators for comparison. No doubt you'll save some money and probably be able to upgrade accommodations.

You may also want to reconsider whether you wish to travel with a group (ugh!) or go private which price shouldn't be all that more, if it is. Nice to have private as you can design as you wish.
May 8th, 2011, 01:06 AM

May I suggest a local TA such as Sun Safaris?

This way, you avoid the elevated prices of a "foreign" TA, and you work with a company that has a more extensive knowledge of South Africa (incl lodging possibilities).

Note that Sun co-owns a couple of lodges. They do not specifically push these or anything, but if you choose these it might bring the price further down a bit.

Everyone's ideal itinerary is different, so I'd go for a private safari. Note that "private safari" still means that you will share your jeep with others, if you book nights in lodges on private game reserves. So there's also plenty of time to socialize and make new friends, as often happens around the camp fire.

B.regs,

J.
May 11th, 2011, 06:22 AM
WG
Original Poster

thanks for all your help. will check out travel report and the other options for tour guides. appreciate the thoughtful responses.