Morocco trip report

Nov 4th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Morocco trip report

Along with my 80-year old Mom and cousin, I traveled through Morocco for 11 days following this itinerary:

Tangier - 2 nights (stayed in AirBnB in the Kasbah)
Chefchaouen - 1 night
Fes - 2 nights
Marrakesh - 3 nights
Essaouira - 2 nights
Casablanca - 1 night

We had decided not to do the desert largely due to time limitations and interest in seeing more city sights. Our last day included a drive up the coast with stops in the major cities of Safi, El Jadida and Oualidia. The pace and itinerary worked very well for us and except for a fairly long day of driving from Fes to Marrakesh, the drives were reasonable and shorter than we expected. The people of Morocco are warm, hospitable and go out of their way to be accommodating. The food is amazing. We felt great and were careful to drink only bottled water.

A few 'off the beaten path' highlights include Domaine du Val L'Argan just outside Essaouira. This lovely winery served an amazing lunch with three wines (first time trying gray 'gris' wine.) We also enjoyed La Fromagerie, again just outside of Essaouira on the way to Safi. Meeting the owner was a treat.

Our driver, Salem, from Moroccan Family was the consummate guide and made everything so easy and pleasurable. I just wish I'd known in advance that he could book riads and get a good deal and trust his impeccable judgement. He suggested a few restaurants which were spot on perfect. Wouldn't travel to Morocco with anyone else.
Nov 5th, 2018, 02:28 AM

Hi, rhorho,
So glad that you used Moroccan Family and you got to meet Salem! He is a gem, isn't he? I'm so pleased that it worked out for you. What I appreciated was how he "got" us and understood our interests and style, and was able to take us to a few places we wouldn't have known about on our own that were really special.

And of course, he does provide the full range of services, including booking riads. If I recall, didn't you already arrange your itinerary and bookings before contacting him? I just want to clarify this for others who might read this in the future.
Nov 10th, 2018, 12:20 PM

Sounds interesting. How much does a driver guide cost? How did you make contact?
Nov 11th, 2018, 02:34 AM

<<Sounds interesting. How much does a driver guide cost? How did you make contact?>>

As I was the person who first recommended Salem and Moroccan Family, I'll give you the answer; you can reach him through the website: https://moroccan-family.com/

We had worked with another small company who hired Salem to be our driver (which was, it turned out, the best thing that could've happened) but we also had some of our hotels booked through the company. So contact Salem directly if you're interested in his rates.
Nov 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you can reach Salem through moroccan-family.com as noted. The emails are [email protected] or [email protected]. Better to check with Salem on costs, I do not know if there is a variation depending on your itinerary, number of people, etc. I do know that Salem was a wonderfully safe, thoughtful driver and we always felt comfortable in the vehicle with well-timed stops. He was easily able to find a few out-of-the way places I added to our itinerary.

Last edited by rhorho; Nov 11th, 2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo