Morocco and American Express question

Apr 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Morocco and American Express question

Can anyone tell me if their American Express card was successfully charged by a hotel/riad in Morocco prior to their arrival?

I had a hotel accept my American Express pre-paid, non-refundable room and then later tell me there is a law in Morocco that only applies to American Express - not to Visa or Master Card - that prevents a hotel there from accepting an American Express card unless the person is there to provide a signature. They clearly wanted me to switch to the lower-cost Visa.

American Express knows nothing about this "law", if it's in fact real. Anyone know if it is really a Moroccan law?

Thanks
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
P_M

This is a very interesting situation and I wish I could answer your question. I have a feeling your suspicions are correct about the hotel wanting you to switch to a lower cost visa. I have a very hard time believing a law was made that only pertains to AmEx, that sounds more like a hotel policy.

I did a bit of googling and it appears AmEx has no offices in Morocco, just a few agents. Here's what our friend Mr. Frommer has to say:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...871020157.html
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Hi, i'm a travel agent in Marrakech. AMEX is usually a pain in Morocco, not everybody accept AMEX, only big hotels and riads. Normally, if a client is not in place to sign the bill, they won't take it. you can either pay with a visa or MC. To be honest with you, Morocco is not an AMEX friendly country.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.