Moving around on own

Apr 10th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Moving around on own

Hello,

I intend to visit Morocco with my husband sometime in October 2017. A total of 7 nights there excluding the flight duration.

I am considering renting a car and driving around ourselves. but we intend to stay overnight at the sahara. I am very concerned about our luggages. Any advice?

Or should I just get those private tours with driver/guide? Any recommendations?

I would like to cover
- 3D/2N days Sahara desert tour (night stay at the dunes)
- Chefchaouen
- Fez
- Medina
- Marrakech
- Atlas mountains

Thank you.
Apr 11th, 2017, 04:32 AM

No matter your choices and the options you have chosen, Morocco is a splendid country with very good things to discover.
Apr 11th, 2017, 04:55 AM

I took public transport my entire trip. If the 2 of you are reasonably seasoned, independent travelers, you can easily do 7 days on your own. The dessert, however might be better on a tour. I didn't go there so will let others chime in.
Apr 11th, 2017, 07:29 AM

As far as I know there is no place in Morocco named "Medina". A medina is simply the old, often walled, portion of any city. Marrakech medina, Fes medina, etc.

Almost no one I know of rents cars in Morocco. They're a liability in cities and if you stay outside the cities you don't get the experience you likely hope for. Not to mention the distances you seem to want to cover in a short time with no AAA if you need help. I also think you've got about 3 weeks travel for your 1 week in Morocco.

If you feel you absolutely must do the desert camp thing, a quick tour is the most practical, as MinnBeef says.
Apr 11th, 2017, 02:23 PM

Everyone I know rents cars in Morocco. But choose your hire periods wisely and only rent for the period you will be touring.

If you ask on TripAdvisor you will find all the regulars strongly recommend spending at least four days and preferably five days on the sand dunes tour from Marrakech to Fez via Merzouga (or visa versa).

Drivers are drivers, they are not guides or driver/guides. Guides are only allowed to operate in the relatively small area for which they hold a licence. If you research your trip beforehand you will know as much as most drivers.

You need to consider your entry and exit airports. You've not updated your profile with your country details but if you are American you will likely enter/exit via Casablanca.
Apr 11th, 2017, 02:27 PM

Aahh. I misread 7 days as 17.

Forget what I wrote, you need to seriously rethink your objectives, there is absolutely no way you can cover these disparate locations scattered all over Morocco. Especially Chefchaouen.

I can only assume there's been a TV programme or something on Chefchaouen because all of a sudden people want to go there and it's a real pain to get to. Concentrate on one imperial city (either Fez or Marrakech) and one or two nearby locations.

Search this Thread