Search

Money Transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Transfers

All right,

Am I the only one who feels a little ill sending money via electronic money transfer? I know that I shouldn't but I do. Especially when I really don't know the company and off to Africa my money goes. I had to do two this morning and I swear I was breathing hard as the teller hit the final button and there was no turning back. On the plus side, my deposits have been paid. I just need a reassuring confirmation from the other side saying moenies were received.

Juliet
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I did the wire transfers and it was no problem, you should recieve a confirmation from your tour operator when the money is in their account.

what tour operator did you go with?

joyce
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

For Kenya and Tanzania it's Sandi at African Serendipity (no problems there - spoke with her on the phone after i sent it). Uganda we're plannign ourselves, it's just the gorilla trek portion through Gorilla Tours Ltd. I'm just used to having seen the person I'm givig my moeny to. I'll be fine by lunch.

Juliet
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Juliet:

I had the same worry when I was asked to wire money to Uganda for my Gorilla Trek in Rwanda and for my 4 Intra-Africa Flights as well!

It all turned out fine but was very expensive. I have since sent $’s to Tanzania several times via MoneyGrams which only costs $ 9. I wish I would have known this before I would have asked the company in Uganda if they would save me some money this way and I would happily give the difference to my Guide!

I did have a few problems as my bank did seem to have difficulty making it happen for me, which is strange because it is a very old bank in Wilmington, Delaware (chances are one of your credit cards bills are sent here) which is considered by some as the Corporate Head Quarters & Banking Capitol of the World and ya think they would have done this once or twice before!

Den
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Den

Unfortunately, Delaware sometimes just doesn't have a larger view of the world.

Weren't we going to have a drink at the Deer Park?

Leann
Newark, DE
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Juliet,
I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with Gorilla Tours when you return.

For anyone who lives near a Washington Mutual branch, their free checking account comes with free wire transfers.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM
VDB

My safari wire was domestic since the TO has a US location as well. And double checked on the BBB (Better Business Bureau)showing no negative info. Alos that it had a matching address and legal name info to the wire instructions. But sending directly to Africa...I can see your nerviousness.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Alright, everyone received their money and next time I'm sending money orders in USD. Way cheaper! The hidden costs with the wire transfer combined with the exchange rate from Canadian to American dollars makes it an expensive way to pay for things. On the plus side, deposits are in and now I need to book my international airfare.

Juliet

Juliet