migration route-Botswana

Jan 14th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

migration route-Botswana

Any feedback on the Botswana migration route trip (camping) that Wilderness safari's run? Or feedback on Wilderness safari company in general?
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Wilderness in general--I've stayed in many of their camps have done a different mobile safari with them. They are definitely top notch.

Panecott wet on the Migration routes safari. Here's the report & photos.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34833997
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34821348
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the plug, Lynn. ;-)

Ostaf, I think I covered most of it in my report, which Lynn was kind enough to post. I would just add that if big game viewing is your main priority,this may not be the trip for you because there is hardly any until the second half of the trip. You will, however, see many spectacular birds and plenty of "lesser" wildlife, such as impala, warthogs, baboons, etc. throughout the trip.
And the first part of the trip includes the Okavango Delta, with the mokoro experience, which is awesome. Xigera Camp in the Delta is very rustic but great fun - and we did have an elephant visit the camp one day. Xigera is the only camp where the mattresses are on the floor of the tent. Everywhere else there are cots with mattresses and down comforters. All tents have small night table and luggage racks. Solo travelers get their own regular size dome tent with no single supplement. There are shared bathrooms and bucket showers throughout.
The staffs at all of the camps were wonderful and the food was outstanding - everything is cooked on an open fire. They do laundry, and contrary to what I had been told, you can also get batteries recharged at the camps. The camps are basic but quite comfortable. I enjoyed the trip immensely.
The only part of the trip that could be improved is Lechwe, the second camp - only because it is hard to reach and there is little to see or do there. The camp itself is lovely and is on a channel - which is sometimes dry, but it was full last June and we went canoeing, so that was fun.
The drive from Lechwe to Savuti is very long and tedious, however, in the second part of the drive you begin to see big game so that made it worthwhile.
All in all I would recommend this trip and I think it's a great value for the money.
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks atravelynn and panecott...great trip report and pictures. We're booked on the 'Migration route' for August but traveling in the reverse order. So, starting at the Mystic lodge and finishing at Xigera. From Xigera we travel back to JoBerg intl for flight back to U.S. Can you comment on the 'facilities' a little further as we'll be without hotel before flight back? Clothing also, how cold?
Jan 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Hi Ostaf,
I don't know what more I could add about the facilities. Xigera is the most rustic camp of all, but was my favorite (and I had never camped before). The toilet and the shower are each open on one side, facing the wilderness, but they are positioned for privacy, so not to worry. The open air shower was actually a lot of fun. There are bucket showers that the staff fills with hot water. The showers have faucets to turn on and off so you don't waste the water while lathering up. But since Xigera is your last stop you'll be an expert by then.
The staff does appreciate if everyone showers at the same time of day so that they can heat up the hot water for everyone at the same time. But this shouldn't be a problem if it's your last day. Just tell them the night before that you'd like a shower in the morning. The staff there is wonderful, as they are at all the camps.
As for clothing, I was there in early June and it was quite warm during the days. Early mornings and nights were cooler and sometimes cold, altho' August will probably be colder. All the camps have fires at night and in the morning. Dress in layers: T shirts, long sleeve polos, long sleeve flannel and cotton shirt and a warm fleece jacket. I slept in long johns. Take gloves, hat and scarf because the vehicles are open. They do have lined vinyl ponchos in the safari vehicle for everyone, so you won't freeze.
One more thing, altho' the camps do laundry, they don't do "smalls", i.e., underwear, so bring enough. You can do your own in the little portable sink outside your tent.
I think you'll really enjoy the Migration Routes and I hope you give us a trip report when you return. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.
Jan 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Howdy Ostaf -

We can't add much to lynn and panecott's posts as they have been thorough - Our Migration Route was Xigera to Livingstone route in April 2005. It was an excellent trip and if you are interested in seeing a number of different environments from wetland in the Delta, to Savute and the Chobe region and all the myriad wildlife (not "just" the big five) - then this is a great trip and very good value. The wildlife viewing throughout the trip was thrilling.

We were first timers, so camping in wilds was a thrill all of it's own. There were some looong days , particularly the transfer from Xigera through to the Kwai region (Lechwe camp) near North Gate of the Moremi NP.
Pack your own dry snacks!

If time permits - you might like to add another day in Livingstone at somewhere a bit closer to the action than Mystic Lodge - we took a 15 min Helicopter ride over the falls and did a sunset cruise on the second day we added at the end of the Migration Route tour. But as you are doing it in reverse - there is a lodge at Xigera and an extra nights stay there might provide you with a better "get ready to come home time" than the Xigera camp which is the most rustic of the camps.

Happy Travels - it was such a great trip we are planning our second in 2008. As far as we are concerned Wildrness Safari's is a really top opertator with great credentials in ecological and community involement and we thouroughly reccomend them.
Jan 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Have just finished reading panecotts Namibia and Botswana trip report (followed the link lynn posted) Thanks so much! We are headed to Namibia in 2008 so really look forward with anticipation to experiencing much of the same.

Also - as mentioned above we travelled the Migration Route in 2005 and your remeberances of the trip brought back so many great memories - We were lucky enough to see Leopard in Moremi North Gate NP (Lechwe camp) - in fact we saw TWO - MATING!!!It was coming on dusk and we had to be out of the park by 6 or 6.30pm - we were a long ways from the gate - we had time for a couple of quick (poorly lit) photos and to be astounded by seeing mating leopard!!! Before a mad and hairaising dash back to the gate before it closed.

We too were touched by the genuine hospitality and warmth of the camp staff - As two women travelling together, the women in camp were particularly warm toward us.

Just prior to our embarking on the Migration route we had stayed at Sanctuary Lodges, Baines Camp so we could visit with the Ele's (Ele Experience www.livingwithelephants.org ). Due to a hiccup at Maun airport; the traffic controller went for a smoke in the middle of the day leaving 25 light aircraft waiting for clearance to take off, we were 4 hours late in meeting up with the Xigera start of the Migration Route. We now understand what a special (and rare) treat it was to follow - when we arrived the whole party had already gone on in the mokoros. Wilderness had left their most experienced mokoro poler, Cedric alone, to wait for us. We then had a magical 2 and a half hour "solo" mokoro trip through the delta - it felt like we were the only people in the world. We finally met up with the rest of the group - and although we all got on well and enjoyed the trip together - those hours alone in the wilderness with Cedric are one of the most precious from our awsome journey.
Jan 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Hi Thembi,
Sounds like you had some extra special experiences on your Migration Routes. Lucky you for both the leopard sighting and the solo mokoro ride with Cedric!
I agree with you that the whole wilderness camping experience was a treat in itself. I was also a first time camper and had no idea I'd enjoy it so much. I wouldn't hesitate to do another of those adventurer camping safaris.
Have you made any definite plans for Namibia yet?