Migration Camp in February?

Nov 27th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Tim

Migration Camp in February?

We'd like to hear from anyone who's stayed in Migration Camp in Tanzania.
We're planning a safari in mid February next year but we're not sure if that is a good time for this northern part of the Serengeti where the camp is situated.
Which parts of the Serengeti is best for gameviewing in February?
Is Lake Manyara and Tarangire any good for game in February?

Nov 28th, 2000, 03:58 AM
Bert

In February, your best bet to find the biggest concentration of the migrating wildebeest & zebra herds would be the southern shortgrass plains on the Serengeti, in the Ndutu area, Naabi Hill, Salei Plains etc. The only permanent camp in this area is Ndutu, which I don't care for myself (spent a night there in March this year). The area north and west of Ndutu was 'wall to wall' with wildebeest, as mentioned in my Tanzania trip report, posted here a few months ago.

Tarangire is at its best in the dry season, from about July trough October; at other times of the year - once it has rained - much of the game migrates out of the area. Lake Manyara is always worth a short visit - it is a good introduction to the wildlife of the area, as many of the animals are habituated to the presence of vehicles.

Nov 28th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Tim

Bert,you seem to know the area so would you say that Migration Camp is a waste of time in mid/late February? Would a stay there be slightly disappointing from a game viewing perspective?
The camp you mentioned in the Ndutu area is obviously not very nice. Is there anywhere nice to stay in that part of the Serengeti?
Or should be just go at another time of the year?

Jan 12th, 2001, 11:58 AM
phyllis

I stayed at Ndutu Lodge and loved it. In fact, it was probably my favorite out of all the nice places we stayed.

Jan 12th, 2001, 11:59 AM
phyllis

By the way, I also stayed at Migration Camp and loved that, too, just not as much as Ndutu. I do remember the guide saying that the Ndutu area was better during the migration.

Search this Thread