Search

message for sandi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
message for sandi

sandi

I am planned to got to the mara next week at a camp mainly catering for American visitors. Can you estimate the proportion of Americans who are cancelling their trips ?

Phil (Brit)_
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 03:50 AM

Secret? Which camp?

Unlike the UK's FCO "no non-essential" travel, with Brits and other Europeans, from what I've determined, if doing private safaris, not many. The US, surprisingly, had only issued a Travel Alert - unusual for them as they're usually quite alarmist.

As posted when the upheaval first broke out, Tauck Tours (group) did cancel their trip going out 13th Jan. A&K didn't cancel their tours; Micato might have cancelled one or switched the routing somewhat.

For one of my client's we simply switched the Kenya portion from the beginning of the trip to the end upon returning from Tanzania (now home). All others, are either there now, on their way, or going in a few weeks. That's just my clients, similar from a few others I've spoken with, but not from all other planners.

From Shane (going_2_africa) just back, who did post while in Africa having just finished their (he and his mom) Kenya segment with comment of no problems, but the camps where he stayed were pretty much empty.

What I've gathered, is that most cancellations were for groups (probably European), rather than individual private travelers.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi. We are booked at Royal Mara - I think the owner mainly markets to US clients. Whilst we like seclusion, we'd prefer if there was at least one other guest !
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Royal Mara - very nice. Ask to see their kitchen. WOW!

If alone, consider it your "own home in the bush."

You'll enjoy. Safari njema!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM

"....but the camps where he stayed were pretty much empty."

I thought perhaps now, February, might be a good time to safari in Kenya or Tanzania. Perhaps the "pretty much empty" camps would offer deals/discounts. Sooooo, I saw a local (office about 3 miles from me) TA who specializes in Kenya and TZ, Somak Safaris. They came back with no great deals, apparently rack rates and at camps I'm not familiar with. (Mara Safari Luxury Tented Camp, Samburu Intrepeids Tented Camp). I was willing to spend a few thou $$$ now to go at moments notice, good bargain, good for me and good for the camps. But I guess not. And no, I don't expect the camps to give themselves away but if they are half empty, paying guests that allow them to meet expenses might be welcome. I don't know, just my 2 cents.

regards - tom
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Tom, perhaps you should try contacting the camps directly.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM

You're probably right Nyamera.
But as it has happened, I've just committed to a nice long Mediterranean cruise in May. So I've cooled off a bit about doing a safari this February.
regards - tom
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Can’t you cancel the Mediterranean cruise? It sounds like a rather poor alternative.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM

ROFLMAO
You may very well be right!!!!!
After my first African safari in 2005 a few months later we went on a South American cruise. It sure was boooorrring compared to the safari!!!!

So haven't been on a cruise since. But this one is especially in celebration of my dear Carolyn's birthday. Doubt if I could cancel out. So just have to do the safari anyway I guess

regards - tom