Search

Message For NapaMatt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message For NapaMatt

Hi Matt
Have returned from Mashatu, Pafuri and MM last night and have been trying to find your email address without success!
So I have little choice but to say my thank-you's over this forum, so sorry about that! They didn't mention anything to me until Rattray's which was towards the end of my stay, so I was very surprised when they mentioned your lovely gift to me, which by the way, was very unnecessary, though appreciated!
I ended up getting a fleecy jacket and scarf which I shall leave there as like Carla, I use mine at home and nice to have a clean one over there!
Started working on photos tonight but as could be expected saw some great sights and many firsts!
Saw 3 cheetah kills at Mashatu, 21 leopards at MalaMala and the last sighting of the Rollercoaster Male, may he rest in peace!
Also saw mating Ele's at Mashatu, which I have never seen, and a newborn baby ele that was only 30 minutes old and I have never seen so many mating leopards in one trip - my 17 year old niece found the mating very off putting, which I am hoping will put her off the whole thing for quite a while!
Again thank-you Matt for your very kind and generous gift and I hope you all have the best of trips this month, I think you are going?
In 2011 I shall be there for the end of January, beginning of February with another niece, so we may finally get to meet!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Hi folk,

This sounds like a wonderful PR job for NapaMatt and his TA operation, which, if I'm not mistaken, is very (as in very) closely allied with other posters on this forum.

I'm sure that generous gifts contribute enormously to promoting such operations in such a public fashion. Somehow this post seems a little "contrived".

But it was the huge density of leopards that drew my attention. Considering that leopards generally live in territories ranging from 10 sq.km to about 60 sq.km, I was quite amazed at the incredible density at MalaMala (considering it's 100 sq.km area). OK, so male territories are bigger than female territories and also overlap them. And of course, cubs also rate as "leopards", although the split between them is uncertain. OK, so MalaMala is prime leopard territory, but to suggest an average territory size of less than 5 sq.km, certainly is interesting. Of course, the terittories also overlap into neighbouring properties, which does adjust the stats a bit.

These types of figures always pique my interest (I love watching animal behaviour and social systems).

So I did a little research. It appears that 51 individual leopards have been spotted (?) in MalaMala over an 11 month period. These included nomads and cubs. And in a year there were 20 sightings of mating leopards. (I'm just citing some of the information on google). And suddenly there are "so many mating leopards" (or is it the same leopards mating so many times, as they are wont to do, over a period of days?).

What was also very fascinating that many of the links on google took me directly to sites where the contributions were directly controlled or provided by ... guess who? MalaMala and their owners, "And Beyond"!

Isn't that a coincidence?

And if I remember correctly, there's also a "Beyond" connection with NapaMatt.

If this was simply a trip report, I would take it absolutely at face value, but it appears to be more than that ...

I could in fact be absolutely wrong, but something seems a little strange ...
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Hmm, not sure about the rest of your post but MM isn't owned by AndBeyond (I wish it was). However, your observations about leopard densities per km seem a bit off. Most, but not necessarily all, of 'their' leopards do have territories that cross into their neighbours properties. Also quite a number of those would have cubs who obviously don't have territories. The number of 51 in a 12 month period is in line with other properties in Sabi Sands.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM

BK0 - first I've heard of a TA connection with napamatt.
And I've been on this forum since 2006, and you've been on one month. ???

And you also imply that KayeN is promoting MM. Allow me inform you that several posters here have met these folks, we know them.

Suggest you substantiate your allegations or credibility will be next to zero. Yes, "something seems a little strange ...", but I'm not looking at those folks, I'm looking at someone who's been posting here about a month.

regards - tom
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Hi guys,

My unreserved apologies to Napamatt and KayeM and others.

I erroneously connected napamatt with a travel agent who regularly posts on another forum. I browsed through the other forum and discovered my error.

Yes, I am new on this forum. I've also become aware just how many posters are actually travel agents trawling for business.

However, my mistake, bad judgement and erroneous assumptions are unacceptable.

Kindly accept my sincere and heartfelt apologies.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Sorry guys!

Got that one totally stuffed up!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Kaye

You're welcome, your trip sounds wonderful, I can't believe the good luck you had, though it looks like you missed the Kikilezi cub or cubs by a few days, hopefully I'll get lucky and see some really little cubs.

Tom

Thanks for the quick defence.

BK

Thanks for the apology.

Tanky

Agreed - don't any animal densities depend on habitat and food availability. Cheetah densities are different in Namibia than at say Phinda.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Hello Napamatt,

I'm sorry that we "met" under these circumstances.

I looked back at your posts and realised that I was so out of line it was frightening. It was a real case of wrong identity, and I'm truly embarrased.

I discovered I was dealing with the real pros.

Thanks for the gracious response (and the quick and harsh lesson in discipline by your friends).

Best regards.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Understandable BK0, thanks for correction. It is great to hear from a "local" here. You have a perspective and insights that most of us don't. And myself, I'm always looking for more information and better understanding. And of course more bang for my too few $$$.

Yes, there are TAs that post here and they also make valuable contributions to the forum. It's blatant self promotion that isn't tolerated.

Happy New Year - tom
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Lovely thank you and sweet gift! Warms the heart!

BK, whilst you are right that many here are TAs, safariplanners, operators etc don't tar all with the same brush.

Whilst some are more clearly hoping to drum up business others share their information for the same reason the non-pros here do - because they genuinely love Africa travel and love talking about it and chatting to those with a shared passion. They are clearly not attempting to drum up business, and don't even mention it, but nor do they attempt to hide it either.

Others, of course, are more about getting their business known.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bushkid0
I don't really know what to say to you as I am reading this and you seem to be telling me I am a liar!
I am not, will not or never have been a travel agent!
MalaMala does not need me to promote although if asked I am happy to recommend it as it is my favourite place to go! I am also a serious animal watcher and I don't count a leopard as a leopard count unless I have a photo to ID.
The leopards seen during my most recent trip are as follows:
1. Emsagwen Male
2. Ostrich Koppies Female
3. Daughter of the Ngoboswan Female
4. Son of Dudley Female - one brought up by Newington Female
5. Son of Mxabene Female
6. Bicycle Crossing Male
7. Male cub of Jakkalsdraai Female
8. Kwela Kwela Female
9. Kapen Female
10. Ngoboswan Female
11. Son of Kikilezi Female b.2008
12. Flockfield Female
13. Jakkalsdraai Female
14. Son of Kikilezi Female b.2006
15. Tjellahanga Male
16. Kikilezi Female
17. Son of Matshapiri Female
18. Dudley Female
19. Son of Dudley Female - uncommon, raised by Dudley Female
20. Rollercoaster Female
21. Male cub of Rollercoaster Female

We did see mating leopards many times - not leopards mating many times, which implies to me, at the same sighting. Some leopards I saw more than once, but that still counts as one leopard!

I am on this forum very rarely now, as reading so many people be so rude to other forum members, became tedious - all with an agenda I am sure. If I could have emailed Matt privately, trust me I would have.

Matt, I am sorry about this. Back to the Kikilezi Female - we did sit near the den site quite a few times, once we heard the cub (s) so she must have been there at that time. They must be tiny so hopefully will see them and other cubs (after all that mating) when I return in July. Never did see the Ostrich Koppies Female cubs sadly, as again saw her mating many times as was the case again this trip.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM

How did I first hear of MalaMala? Saw their name on TV program credits. It seemed as if half of the African wildlife TV programs I watched were filmed at MM. National Geographic productions. National Geographic knows that if you want to make a film about leopards, you go to Sabi Sand, MalaMala. As Kaye's count shows.

regards - tom
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Hi KayeN,

I must sincerely apologise to yourself and to other forum users, for going off on a tangent of own, based on a severe misinterpretation of the situation. I did not mean to harm your reputation. Had I checked your previous posts, and those of napamatt, and others, I would certainly have realised my mistake.

This was a horrible blunder on my part, and an error of judgement I will not easily forget.

You have proved honourable and honest, and I sincerely regret any inconvenience caused.

I agree that the forums reflect a horrible discourtesy to other members on occasion (and I've witnessed some not-so-nice stuff here as well). When I first joined the forums over two years ago, I did so to provide very accurate and up-to-date info on a particular issue.

I then later joined another forum, and found the place invaded by travel agents, all punting their particular range of products. Certain names and operators were everywhere, all clamouring for business in various guises. I mistook napamatt for one of them. I had to look back quite far to find where the erroneous connection came from, and then realised my mistake.

I agree that Sabi Sand is quite a spectacular place, with an exceptionally high leopard density. I have reservations about some of the properties, based on my own experience and knowledge, and that coloured my perception on this issue.

MalaMala's reputation is beyond reproach. I'm sorry that my discourse reflected on them. Once again, a case of misplaced identity.

I unreservedly apologise for any assertions I made in my earlier post, and sincerely regret the impact they may have had on any party involved.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you for your response Bushkid0. I also shall accept what you have said and it is a reminder to all that this forum often oversteps common courtesy. If I wouldn't say something to your face, I certainly would not be saying it over any travel forum.
I suppose if this is the worst thing to happen to me this year, then I am doing OK!
Kind regards
Kaye
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Just for reference Kaye may know more about the Mala Mala Leopards than almost anyone.

Wouldn't it be nice if the forum had a PM feature - maybe someone will invent something like that some day - nah! that's the stuff of science fiction!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Hi Kaye,
We are off for our third trip to Rattrays in March and are wondering who you had as a ranger? Is Keenan still there?
We can't wait to see our favourite leopard, the Daughter of the Ngoboswan Female. We saw her as a cub and then last yr when she was learning skills from her Mum.

Did you fly out of the MalaMala airstrip. We have booked to do this but understand that the small planes the airline uses have been grounded.

I will look forward to your wonderful photographs and trip report soon

best regards

Barb
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM

barb
You have to book Federal Air shuttles to fly in/out of MM as the SAA subsidiary has been grounded in late Dec.
Fed Air is only slightly more expensive but saves you the drive from the airport to the reserve.

SV
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM

So, no SAA flights from JNB to MM airstrip, AAM.
First thing I'd do is call MalaMala and ask then best way to fly in.
Federal Air also flies to the Kruger Skukuza airstrip, SZK, close to MM.
Then maybe a charter such as General Airways, GenAir. They fly in the area but I'm not sure exact routes, probably anywhere they can land/take-off.
Wonder what KayeN did/doing?

regards - tom
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Barb
No Keenan is no longer there. I had Gordon and was very happy with him as a ranger as was my 17 year old niece. At Main Camp we had Andrew and I have had him as a ranger many times and hope to again when I return in July.
No, we drove from Mashatu to MalaMala and then transfer to fly out of Nelspruit to Johannesburg as our international flight leaves at 1.30pm. The flight direct to MalaMala was cancelled due to some sort of problems with those particular aircraft, but a charter plane is doing excactly the same flight so I would deal directly with MM's reservation office. When I was there it was actually working out a bit cheaper, I was told. So if the planes aren't back in the air by July, I shall be using the charter to MM, but I will leave from Nelspruit.
Working on photos now, but takes a bit of time. Should be finished well before you go though!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Hi Kaye,

Wow - cannot believe the great luck you had!

I am heading (with Andy) to Mashatu and MM this July - now I am even more excited to see Mashatu (will be my first visit)!!!

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -